Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wait, pardon my shocked expression right now... You're saying that if I get a Carlinkkit 4 and use it with my Android 11 phone on my Carplay optioned 718, I can have the full Android Auto experience on my center console display!?!?!
That is what we are saying.
Be aware that the display isn't so large, so I think a real CarPlay display shows a bit more map. Also when I was using an iPhone I think it's response was just a bit faster, not that it's a big deal. I like having a map and guidance and still be able to make a phone call.

Reactions: SonicSid

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interested in this feature for my 2017 Boxster S, but then had to rein myself in upon discovering that AA is only compatible with the 2022 911 & Cayenne! Am I missing something? Seems hard to believe that availability for this is limited to so very few years/models. 😟

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought this after seeing this thread and it worked the first time I tried it. However, I spent 20min this morning before a drive trying to get it to work without any luck. Kind of bummed.

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster S
1 Posts
Long time lurker, but this is my first post.

Today, I installed the 2022 CarlinKit ai box purchased from Amazon for $210. Works great in my 2017 718 Boxster S that came with CarPlay from the factory. I am using a Samsung S21 Ultra for my phone. I inserted an activated Tmobile phone sim card into the ai unit So far everything works great. If my phone is in the car and charged I have full use of Android Auto wireless as promised.

The neat thing is that I dont even need to bring my phone along to make phone calls (from my Tmobile Sim Card phone number) I can also forward the calls from my primary mobile number to my new car phone number so I don't miss any calls.
All the apps can work without my mobile phone turned on as they run from the sim card. Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and others. Only had it working for a few hours to test it and I'm really happy. Before I purchased the ai I had tried Carlinkit 4.0 in my 718 for the wireless AA. It worked fine, but for navigation I was only able to use Waze and couldn't find the Google Map app. I have since installed the Carlinkit 4 into our 2021 Mazda CX5 to update AA wired to wireless. Both units seem to work well. I'll give the Boxster a good workout this weekend and I'll see if any problems pop up.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
527 Posts
Thanks to jimmuller for this thread which got me to go ahead and order the CarLinkit 4.0. I had been considering this for some time but after reading this thread I felt it was time to act!
I ordered mine off Amazon for around $115. Specifically mine shows as "CPC200-CP2A" on the front of the device. I have a Galaxy S10 phone. My installation was quick and painless with wireless and wired Android Auto through the normal wired CarPlay link in the center console.
I have used this setup about 4 times now. It automatically reconnects fairly quickly and seems to work well. It is interesting that the car shows it as a CarPlay connection and yet it specifically looks just like Android Auto when you bring up the Android Auto display by selecting CarPlay in the home page on the PCM.
I can say that the second USB A connection on the device does work as a wired Android Auto connection and seems to reduce the latency just a slight bit. It also does charge the phone. I have ordered two short 6 inch USB A to USB C cables from Amazon so that I can put my phone and device in the center console with the phone either unplugged for a wireless connection for short trips or plugged in for longer trips where I want to charge the phone. Although the latency with the wireless connection does seem the slightest bit more, I don't find it distracting or a problem.
I have an SD card in the PCM with all my music and continue to use that for music. I use the Android Auto for navigation and all the other hands free features it provides. For that this thing works very well. The only issue I have had is that twice when I made test phone calls, the PCM no longer wanted to play music from my SD card. This hasn't happened every time and I believe I can fix it by just changing sources away from the SD card and then back but I am still playing with things. My past experience with Android Auto is that there is always some sort of glitchy thing when trying to get multiple manufacturer's stuff to play together nicely. The best you can hope for is about 98% problem free.
So my experience is that this easily works well enough to justify the cost for my usage case.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks to jimmuller for this thread....
It is interesting that the car shows it as a CarPlay connection and yet it specifically looks just like Android Auto when you bring up the Android Auto display by selecting CarPlay in the home page on the PCM.

I can say that the second USB A connection on the device does work as a wired Android Auto connection and seems to reduce the latency just a slight bit. It also does charge the phone....
Although the latency with the wireless connection does seem the slightest bit more, I don't find it distracting or a problem.

I have an SD card in the PCM with all my music and continue to use that for music. I use the Android Auto for navigation and all the other hands free features it provides.... The only issue I have had is that twice when I made test phone calls, the PCM no longer wanted to play music from my SD card.
Y'er quite welcome!

That the PCM thinks it is talking to a CarPay device isn't surprising. CarPlay the only thing, indeed the onliest thing, the PCM knows about, so the Carlinkit presents itself to the car as an iPhone. The AA part is running on the phone and the Carlinkit is just acting as a proxy.

I haven't tried the other USB port on the Carlinkit. I was wondering what it was for. Thanks for the info. That's one way to keep the phone charged while on a long trip. I too have not found the latency bothersome. What I am delighted with is the ability to answer or make a phone call from the car while it is navigating. And when I press and hold the Siri button on the left stalk it even brings up Siri to request a call or do some other voice command.

I have not experienced the music issue. We play music from both an SD card and the Jukebox, and on recent drives using the Carlinkit I've played music from my phone. I have heard a glitch or two in the music, probably due to missed Bluetooth packets. Using the phone wired might eliminate that but it wasn't an issue. A bigger issue for audio is that the dang lady in the phone keeps interrupting the music to give me route instructions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
jimmuller, your post is a Godsend!! I bought a 2019 718 base Cayman new off the lot and it did not come with voice command and while it has navigation, I don't have a paid subscription so of course, no traffic info. I was quoted over $1K to have the voice command unit installed at the dealer. I had voice on my 2019 Macan and was always frustrated with the voice recognition which seemed to work less than half the time (I'm probably exaggerating a bit). So now way was I going to spent $1k to install that on the Caymna.

Suffice it to say, I reverted to using my Samsung utlra 22 mounted to the vent and set up with google voice to provide navigation and voice dialing. As a result, I felt as if the PCM was a bit of a waste on this car. But NOW!!! with Carlinkit 4, I'm a happy happy camper. I got if from Amazon shortly after this string of posts for $85 (there was a one day sale)

It did take a few tries with blue tooth, but I finally got it to work and now it does so at start up so long as I have the unit plugged into the USB port. I do have to select the right blue tooth connection. Now I have access to voice dialing (via google voice on the PCM), navigation with traffic info and access to Pandora and iheart radio. I no longer feel inferior to all those $20K cars with bigger screens (yes that's still the case), and more tech features. Thank you thank you thank you. I was even able to get it working on the Macan although it took a bit more effort.

Now that said, I am running into this one problem: I can't get AA/carplay to easily shut off, say when I want to make calls via the PCM vs through carplay (sometime the voice on AA/carplay isn't clear - maybe it was just a bad day). The only way I found to shut off AA/carplay is to unplug the USB, but then the screen freezes for a very long time (say 10 minutes). Has anyone run into that problem?

Vic

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
jimmuller, your post is a Godsend!! I bought a 2019 718 base Cayman new off the lot and it did not come with voice command and while it has navigation, I don't have a paid subscription so of course, no traffic info....
Now that said, I am running into this one problem: I can't get AA/carplay to easily shut off, say when I want to make calls via the PCM vs through carplay (sometime the voice on AA/carplay isn't clear - maybe it was just a bad day).
Well golly, thank you. But about traffic info, as I understand it, Porsche's Nav package does not get real-time traffic info, subscription or not. At least that's what my Brand Ambassador (a.k.a. salesman) told me. But maybe I'm missing something, since I don't have Nav.

I don't understand the problem you are describing. Do you have a SIM card in the car and you make calls directly from it? You connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth? I'm guessing the latter. The PCM will not do that and run CarPlay at the same time. Whenever I tried to use the connection manager icon on the PCM to switch it from CarPlay to my phone's Bluetooth it would connect but then immediately switch back to CarPlay. That's not the Carlinkit's fault; it used to do that when I used a SIM-less iPhone for CarPlay. It would connect to the phone via Bluetooth only if I told the PCM at startup to use the iPhone as an iPod. Once the PCM went to iPhone mode it wanted to stay that way. I could force the switch by pressing and holding the Volume/Mute button for 20 seconds to reset the PCM, but that's not good for answering an incoming call. With the Carlinkit as the CarPlay interface to my S21 I can make and receive calls with the S21 through the PCM. That should be almost the same thing as having the PCM talk to the S21 directly. Or are you talking about a different process?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks jimmuller. yes, you're right in that I'm connecting via bluetooth. Sorry, my message earlier was unclear. I'm experiencing the same as you in that it seems if I stay with Carlinkit 4.0 as the carplay interface to my S21, I'm fine. My wife has an iphone as opposed to my android, and it's possible we switch phones from the one connected to PCM (and AA/Applecar play)mid drive. I've played around with the Carlinkit 4.0 some more this morning. The only way I've found to do the switch is to go to the device manager selecting "smartphone link", then a selection called "phone" (not the iphone or android - weird I know), then ipod. That turns off apple carplay (I can now use the phone not using apple carplay). I would then have to reconnect either of my phones if I want to use apple car play. Very clumsy, but it works. given the beauty of having AA at such a low cost, the occasional hassle is worth it!

BTW, it's a bit more challenging withe the macan for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
We drove about 200 miles today. Most of it was with AA running via the Carlinkit thingy. It worked like a charm. I'm not sure how much, or even if, it charges the phone when plugged in via the USB port though. I attached my S21 to the Carlinkit via a cable. This is the first time I've tried the wired connection. We spent most of the return trip listening to music from the phone instead of the car, which is our usual practice. By the time we got home the phone was down to 17% battery. Maybe playing music takes lots of power, but it doesn't appear that the Carlinkit was helping out much. Which is to say I'm not sure it was much better than if I had just connected the phone to the Carlinkit via Bluetooth. Maybe the phone would have been even more exhausted if I'd used Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
527 Posts
Interesting. I read that the second port could charge but maybe it's too low in power or doesn't charge at all. Perhaps a USB splitter would allow a digital connection to the device while also allowing a charge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@jimmuller Thank you so very much for this post! I ordered the Carlinkit 4.0 CP2A from Amazon when it was on sale for $90. I had also ordered a Motorola MA1 for wireless AA in my GTI. I started with my wireless AA adventure in my GTI and discovered that all of the OnePlus phones in the household could not run AndroidAuto wirelessly whatsoever. Looking online, this seems to be a unsolved issue with the latest OS updates from OnePlus. Once I ordered and setup a new Pixel 6a, wireless AA worked great in the GTI.
Next I tried the Carlinkit 4.0 CP2A plugged into the center armrest in my 2017 BS and my phone connected via USB cable to the CP2A. Was amazed that it worked correctly, then it still worked correctly after removing the USB cable to my phone and using AA wirelessly. I am absolutely ecstatic that I finally have AndroidAuto working in my 718!

FWIW, the CP2A manual says that it outputs 1A at 5V on the USB port to a phone, so it should be able to charge a phone. My phone did display on the lock screen that it was charging while connected with a usb cable to the CP2A device.

The only issue I'm encountering is when I drive somewhere to pick up a pre-ordered dinner and I'm only out of the car for a minute or two in the restaurant, when I return back to the car I get a blank screen instead of AA. I've had to unplug the CP2A device to get it working again. If I'm inside a restaurant for 10 min or more, AA loads just fine when I return back to the car.

Gear shift Automotive design Radio Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@jimmuller Thank you so very much for this post!
My phone did display on the lock screen that it was charging while connected with a usb cable to the CP2A device.
The only issue I'm encountering is when I drive somewhere to pick up a pre-ordered dinner and I'm only out of the car for a minute or two in the restaurant, when I return back to the car I get a blank screen instead of AA. I've had to unplug the CP2A device to get it working again. If I'm inside a restaurant for 10 min or more, AA loads just fine when I return back to the car.
I'm glad it worked out for you! Nice pic, BTW. (You run your AC at 75? My sweetie would be swooning from the heat and cursing me if I did that!)

That charging experiment is one I intended to make, just let the phone tell me whether it is being charged. Maybe VLC uses more power than I would have guessed.

I've had the same issue with short stops. But I don't think it's necessarily the Carlinkit's problem. I used to have connectivity issues when I was using an iPhone. Stop long enough and it knows to restart. Stop for just a few minutes and it doesn't quite know what to do next. Still, it's nice to have AA and the car still works as a telephone. Imagine that!

Reactions: SonicSid
21 - 35 of 35 Posts