Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

Registered
Tried to edit this but the forum software wouldn't let me.
I just realized that the SD cards I used are actually 128GB, not 32G. They are recognized by the PCM and play great.
Are these a MicroSD or full size card? (Sorry still waiting for my car...)

Wasn't there a time limit for edits, something like 24 hours IIRC?

Super Moderator
Porsche doesn't recommend using a Micro SD card with an adapter in the OEM PCM slots. Go ahead and spring for a full-size SD card -- and one that is rated at least C10/U1 in transfer spec.

128GB is the size limit, as mentioned previously. I've tested it with a card with 112GB of data on it -- it works fine, but initial population is a little slow. I opt to use a 64GB card rated C10/U3 -- a SanDisk Extreme, I believe. Looks like those run about $17 on the 'zon (a 128GB is about $29).

Finally: As with most electronics, some brands are better than others. SanDisk cards are almost universally considered the top-performing ones overall. I'd consider Samsung and Lexar cards, as well. I personally avoid all other brands.

Registered
Are these a MicroSD or full size card? (Sorry still waiting for my car...)

Wasn't there a time limit for edits, something like 24 hours IIRC?
Full size SD card.
The message I received was you're not allowed more than 10 edits over a couple weeks I think. Since I've only edited 1 or 2 over a few months, I figured it was a bug.

Registered
Update, I received my ROiK-MIB2 unit yesterday, 3 days from Korea, amazingly fast! I have looked over all of the parts and it is all here, now I just need a car! This might still be 6 weeks out... :(

I am working to determine if I can run it up on the bench to check things out, it has a HDMI monitor out (rear seat possibly?) which may work for testing, not sure as the MENU button on the PCM is used to go between it and the ROiK box. I intend on using the front Camera connectivity so I would like to check that out. I sent a note to KAP to confirm about POWER/CAN pins:

• 5, VDD-12 is this suitable to power the optional front camera, what is the current capability?
  • 7, Reverse 12v in, is this the trigger for the optional reverse camera?
  • 8, Rear_12v, is this the power for optional rear camera, what is the current capability?

@hkginlax and @sanher747 did either of you try to power it up before installing into your car?

Registered
Discussion Starter #88
Update, I received my ROiK-MIB2 unit yesterday, 3 days from Korea, amazingly fast! I have looked over all of the parts and it is all here, now I just need a car! This might still be 6 weeks out... :(

I am working to determine if I can run it up on the bench to check things out, it has a HDMI monitor out (rear seat possibly?) which may work for testing, not sure as the MENU button on the PCM is used to go between it and the ROiK box. I intend on using the front Camera connectivity so I would like to check that out. I sent a note to KAP to confirm about POWER/CAN pins:

• 5, VDD-12 is this suitable to power the optional front camera, what is the current capability?
  • 7, Reverse 12v in, is this the trigger for the optional reverse camera?
  • 8, Rear_12v, is this the power for optional rear camera, what is the current capability?

@hkginlax and @sanher747 did either of you try to power it up before installing into your car?
I kind of did but not by design. I was the first actual customer for the unit, so ending up spent a lot of time debugging the connections with KAP. You can't really do much without the PCM. If applies power, you will hear the unit starting up. You will hear a start-up tone, the fan will spin up, some of lights on the board will light up but that is about it. No way to confirm it is actually working correctly.

Registered
I have the ROIK-MIB2 installed in my 991.2 and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a way to extend the time the ROIK-MIB2 stays on after the car is turned off? I would like for it to stay on for 5 to 7 minutes. Like when I am getting gas or going into the store for something really quick. Please let me know. KAP has not been any help with this request.

Registered
I have the ROIK-MIB2 installed in my 991.2 and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a way to extend the time the ROIK-MIB2 stays on after the car is turned off? I would like for it to stay on for 5 to 7 minutes. Like when I am getting gas or going into the store for something really quick. Please let me know. KAP has not been any help with this request.
Interesting idea, and a good one at that, I plan on installing mine in the next week or so and this makes sense... Let me think about this! FWIW this wouldn't be something that the ROiK-MIB2 has to be modified for but rather how you could power it such that it continues to get power when the key is removed...

Registered
Interesting idea, and a good one at that, I plan on installing mine in the next week or so and this makes sense... Let me think about this!
If you jumper from an "accessory power" fuse, it stays on for 20 minutes. That's how I powered the NaviPlus Android Auto module (which I ironically just removed over the weekend). I put a fuse jumper into the passenger footwell fuse block. Bottom row, either 2nd or 3rd fuse from the right side. It worked great in the "I'm getting gas or a cup of coffee and dont want the system to shutoff" scenario.

Registered
Discussion Starter #92
For our cars, tapping the main input power from fuse D9 or D10 should do it. Mine is running out of room for the D row, so I had to use the B row.

Registered
Wow, I have been following this post since its inception and now 5 pages later with now multiple options for Android posibilities it is getting a little involved for me. Although I'm glad the options seem to be getting more cost effective!

I am an Android user and mainly want to run Waze and perhaps my GoPro Ap on my PCM and one other.

As much as I'd like Android it seems like it would be easier to use a spare Iphone 6 and plug that into the PCM as I have Apple Car play. All my immediate family are iphone users (except me) so there is always one spare one floating around.

Anyone know the advantage of forcing the Andoid route over just getting a spare Iphone and running apple car play?

Registered
If you jumper from an "accessory power" fuse, it stays on for 20 minutes. That's how I powered the NaviPlus Android Auto module (which I ironically just removed over the weekend). I put a fuse jumper into the passenger footwell fuse block. Bottom row, either 2nd or 3rd fuse from the right side. It worked great in the "I'm getting gas or a cup of coffee and dont want the system to shutoff" scenario.
Roberth, this what I initially thought of doing but I do not see an accessory power line for the ROIK-MIB2 unit. It only has +12 battery and ground. I assume it is getting the turn on/turn off command from one of the CAN inputs lines but I do not know for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #95
Wow, I have been following this post since its inception and now 5 pages later with now multiple options for Android posibilities it is getting a little involved for me. Although I'm glad the options seem to be getting more cost effective!

I am an Android user and mainly want to run Waze and perhaps my GoPro Ap on my PCM and one other.

As much as I'd like Android it seems like it would be easier to use a spare Iphone 6 and plug that into the PCM as I have Apple Car play. All my immediate family are iphone users (except me) so there is always one spare one floating around.

Anyone know the advantage of forcing the Andoid route over just getting a spare Iphone and running apple car play?
I don't use Android Auto or Apple Carplay, so I cannot tell you for sure but I was told only certain apps can be run under Android Auto. With the full Android, there is a lot more freedom of apps selection. I do agree Apple Carplay is a much cleaner option.

Registered
Roberth, this what I initially thought of doing but I do not see an accessory power line for the ROIK-MIB2 unit. It only has +12 battery and ground. I assume it is getting the turn on/turn off command from one of the CAN inputs lines but I do not know for sure.
What @roberth is saying is use the "accessory power" point he describes from the cars fuse box as the main power for the ROiK unit... IMHO 20 minutes should be a safe time out for the ROiK, long enough for a short stop but not long enough to put any strain on the battery.

Thanks @roberth !

Registered
What @roberth is saying is use the "accessory power" point he describes from the cars fuse box as the main power for the ROiK unit... IMHO 20 minutes should be a safe time out for the ROiK, long enough for a short stop but not long enough to put any strain on the battery.

Thanks @roberth !
I tried that yesterday but it still does not work. Something else is turning the unit off once you turn off the car.

Registered
I tried that yesterday but it still does not work. Something else is turning the unit off once you turn off the car.
Hmmm, that's too bad, I wonder if your 991.2 is slightly different when it comes to how long the accessory power stays on for? Perhaps it is getting a signal through the system to shut down after the car is turned off.

Registered
ROIK-MIB2 is not available any longer. I got a ROIK-10 and a 4G Highend Video interface. This should work just fine. However, I am struggling with powering the ROIK-10 unit. Unlike the ROIK-MIB2 unit, the ROIK-10 requires power from battery and 12V ACC. See diagrams below. I tapped into fuse B3 for the battery power but any idea where to get that from?

Registered
Hi. I have a problem with the ROIK device. Sometimes while driving others when starting the car the when selected the ROIK view on the PCM. The display becomes black and I have to press the NAV button twice to show again the ROIK view
Someone having the same problem that me?

81 - 100 of 145 Posts