Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got the chance to drive the Angeles Crest Highway. It was a beautiful day, clear and unseasonably cool in Los Angeles (you know, low to mid 60s:D).

When entering the Angeles Forest you are greeted with this sign:
Sign Post.jpg
If anybody asks my sign... This! This is my sign.

That sign is accurate. The drive is full of twists and turns and there were plenty of opportunities to let my baby stretch her legs.
My Kind of Road.jpg

I didn't see many Porsches on the road, which surprised me. I didn't see a single Cayman or Boxster of any generation, but I did see two or three 911s, including a 993 Turbo that blew past me in a no-passing zone. And I think that I saw a large percentage of the MkVI and MkVII VW GTis sold in the last 10 years. I lost count somewhere between 15 and 20. I also saw a lot of S2000s (5 or 6), including one with a wing that was laughably big. Then there was the convoy of four Audi R8s (which do make a glorious sound) followed by two Aston Martin DB11s and a Lotus Exige. And, of course, there were the sport bikes, seemingly by the hundreds. Those riders are insane!

I was having so much fun driving and car spotting that I didn't want to stop to take pictures of my car, but I did take a few.
Sunny Day.jpg
Snowy Mountains.jpg
Parked.jpg
Actually, that last picture was from the prior weekend's canyon hunt. That's how few pictures I wound up taking.

If you haven't driven the Angeles Crest Highway, and you are anywhere remotely nearby, I would recommend doing so as it was great driving and great car spotting.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that I am really twisted.

Reactions: GregW

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks like a great stretch of road. I have to ask, if everyone runs fast cars there on weekends, do the cops not sit and write tickets?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I didn't see a single cop literally until I was leaving the Angeles Forest at the end of the day. He was entering the highway right behind that S2000 with the huge wing. I could tell it was driving the S2000's driver crazy that he couldn't let the soup-can exhaust sing its flatulent song. To be honest, I was very surprised by the lack of police. Especially considering how the motorcyclists were riding.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is why I keep thinking of transferring to SoCal with my job.....Florida roads are so boring. Everytime I’m out there, I’m wishing that I had my car.

Reactions: TheLip

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live at the base of Angeles Crest and drive there often in my 718 CS. I suggest you also try Big Tujunga Canyon, especially Upper Big Tujunga. For a twistier road, try Little Tujunga Canyon. The best time is an hour before sunset, when the cyclers are done for the day, otherwise there is one around every blind corner. The roads above Malibu are also great, except for the cyclers. Avoid a couple days after high winds or rain, when rocks fall down (had one slice my tire).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try Tujunga next time. The roads above Malibu are my usual playground. I used to do my daily commute through there so I am very familiar with those canyons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts