Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any problems with their build or order? Any delays? How long is the delivery process for you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered the 718 Cayman 1 Nov 16 and still no build date. I'm told to expect vehicle early June but Porsche have said that German plant is gearing up for upcoming electric vehicle which has restricted numbers of 718s. They say that 718 production will only come fully on stream after September of this year...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the 718 Cayman 1 Nov 16 and still no build date. I'm told to expect vehicle early June but Porsche have said that German plant is gearing up for upcoming electric vehicle which has restricted numbers of 718s. They say that 718 production will only come fully on stream after September of this year...
Plum--sorry to hear about your delay. If you don't mind me asking--where are you located? I haven't been told any information like what you are receiving. I ordered my Boxster in January and had a build date/schedule right away. My dealer told me three months on average for delivery. I haven't checked lately but mine is supposed to enter the body shop 2/17 and exit on 2/24 with a Vehicle completion date of 3/03. I was told that I did get the last dealer allocation for this year--not sure if that is a factor. Maybe others can weigh in on their experiences or if they are being told the same information as you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Placed my deposit this past weekend. Dealer has advised me June/July delivery if I am lucky for 718 Cayman, they seem hopeful. I am in Canada

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm over in the UK. Not sure if you guys on the other side of the pond are receiving higher allocations, or perhaps some have fallen lucky with certain dealer allocations. I believe the Boxster version was first in production, so might explain why this version is materialising within reasonable timescales. The Cayman production is more recent but seems to have been squeezed due to factory reorganisation for the upcoming electric vehicle. Has anyone ordered from say Oct 16 and received a build slot with a view to delivery over the next month or so? I suspect there are gonna be quite a few disappointed prospective Cayman owners (me included) not seeing their cars until the back end of this year...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm over in the UK. Not sure if you guys on the other side of the pond are receiving higher allocations, or perhaps some have fallen lucky with certain dealer allocations. I believe the Boxster version was first in production, so might explain why this version is materialising within reasonable timescales. The Cayman production is more recent but seems to have been squeezed due to factory reorganisation for the upcoming electric vehicle. Has anyone ordered from say Oct 16 and received a build slot with a view to delivery over the next month or so? I suspect there are gonna be quite a few disappointed prospective Cayman owners (me included) not seeing their cars until the back end of this year...
You might be right about the Boxster version being the first in production and having on time deliveries. The timing of the Cayman may have it caught in this reorganization. It sounds like our friends in Canada are also having to wait a lot longer for their deliveries as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Filoup87: Cayman S delayed in Canada

I am from Montreal Canada , ordered in november, Cayman S and was told a first date, April 26, then it has been revised to June 16.... Hope it won't be deferred again...since we don't really drive these things in the winter over here....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahead of Schedule

Talked to my dealer today and my Boxster is actually ahead of schedule. I was told it should be here first of April. Needless to say I am very excited--especially with this unseasonably warm weather we are having--can't wait.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds gr8 ? If it arrives early April, how long will that have been from order to delivery? Anyone got a Cayman being delivered anytime soon?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I placed the order on January 9 and the new build schedule calls for dealer delivery April 4--slightly under 3 months. Of course everything needs to stay on schedule, which with Porsche you never know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amazingly quick turnaround; good for you ?. Now 4 months since ordering the Cayman and no sign of a build slot. Heyho! ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
About 6 months seems to be quite a favourable turn around time for the Cayman then... I must be one of the unluck ones ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cayman, bone stock except for metallic gray paint.

Runs like a scalded rabbit. 18" wheels actually look pretty good and handle well, lots of goodies even on a base model. Head turning, "Oh s--t look at that!" quotient is really high.

Steering doesn't seem to track quite as well as the pure rack and pinion on my 914, not sure yet if that is real or merely a subjective feeling. Not a whole lot of space other than the seats - less room than in a 914. But you know that going in, it's a two seater, not a CRV.

Fantastic car, wife loves it as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cayman, bone stock except for metallic gray paint.

Runs like a scalded rabbit. 18" wheels actually look pretty good and handle well, lots of goodies even on a base model. Head turning, "Oh s--t look at that!" quotient is really high.

Steering doesn't seem to track quite as well as the pure rack and pinion on my 914, not sure yet if that is real or merely a subjective feeling. Not a whole lot of space other than the seats - less room than in a 914. But you know that going in, it's a two seater, not a CRV.

Fantastic car, wife loves it as well.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Cayman!!! I am getting a lightly optioned base Boxster--manual trans. I agree that the 718 Cayman looks fantastic. My Boxster is due in early April--soon the wait will be over.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Talked to my dealer today and my Boxster is actually ahead of schedule. I was told it should be here first of April. Needless to say I am very excited--especially with this unseasonably warm weather we are having--can't wait.:)
And I spoke with my dealer today. My GT Silver, red/black Boxster S MT is due at the port first week in April. He told me that cars are coming in quicker, so don't be surprised if that moves up a week. With this strange February weather here in the East, I can't wait! Been ordering stuff for the car from aftermarket companies to keep me occupied.

And today, I officially retire from the 9-5 world after a 45 yr career. The 718 is my "gold watch" :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts