Porsche 718 Forum banner

Any thoughts on New Colors for 718?

16K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  IndigoInkTaco 
#1 ·
As I spend a copious amount of time on the configurator, I just wonder what the next new color would be on the 718. Personally, I would love to see another metallic color (non-special). And I don't just mean another grayscale color. I'm hoping for something like Papaya Metallic (from the Macan) or the stunning Sapphire Blue back in action. Heck, bring back a classic like Bahama Yellow as well.

They have basically all colors of the rainbow covered. However, outside of Guards Red and Racing Yellow, I'd have to reach into my checkbook for those special colors (and PTS is way too much). I'm biased towards lighter colors as I think they show off the beautiful body lines of the cayman/boxster best.

Let me know what new colors you'd like to see!

#4 ·
I'd love to see Forest Green or something comparable, but I know they're not really in fashion. So many good options really, but more blues and reds are also good - they could free up some room by kicking Frozenturd metallic to the curb in a hurry...the only drawback to the 718 T that I can think of is the limited color pallet - I like white, Guards and GT silver; but that's about it. I like Shark and Python, but not for another $2600.

#6 ·
I'm with you on the Forest Green and more blue options. Ideally, I would have preferred a darker blue, but not quite as dark as the Midnight Blue that got ditched recently. Something in between that and the Gentian Blue, which I find a bit too strong. A marine blue would be nice. It's a classy colour that is always in fashion. Without the Forest Green and the Marine Blue options I ended up going with Agate Grey ...

#8 ·
Greens are making a come back. I would like to see a metallic green like Mamba which recently got retired from the Macan choices to make a showing. Aside from red, medium dark metallic green is a quintessential 2 seater sports car color.

#15 ·
One of our Longhorn PCA members has one of two PTS (non-metallic) Brewster Green 981's (for his car's year) and it is one spectacular looking color. Although I prefer lighter colors, regardless, his car color is fabulous and blows me away every time I see it in direct sun.

#18 ·
As I spend a copious amount of time on the configurator, I just wonder what the next new color would be on the 718. Personally, I would love to see another metallic color (non-special). And I don't just mean another grayscale color. I'm hoping for something like Papaya Metallic (from the Macan) or the stunning Sapphire Blue back in action. Heck, bring back a classic like Bahama Yellow as well.

They have basically all colors of the rainbow covered. However, outside of Guards Red and Racing Yellow, I'd have to reach into my checkbook for those special colors (and PTS is way too much). I'm biased towards lighter colors as I think they show off the beautiful body lines of the cayman/boxster best.

Let me know what new colors you'd like to see!
I never thought the most difficult part of custom order would be choosing a Color. My other Porsche purchases simply required a look through the showroom and picking a car that had the best configuration to suit my needs. How times have changed. My only need was for the Cayman so when a Cayman S allocation came up I grabbed it. I still won’t see the S till June. But picking a Color is a challenge. Who do you try to please, my wife (important), friends, resale or myself. Most will say please yourself first but I like many Color’s so that’s not so hard to do. I guess what I’m saying here is I don’t know if I welcome more choices or not. I am configured for Gentian blue but am considering Shark blue so a lighter metallic blue would further confuse my decision. It’s going to be a long 6 month wait. These posts offer a much needed distraction.

#22 ·
So true! I've spent months trying to pick a color (still undecided obviously). In fact, I have a crazy system going right now trying to help me decide. What I'm doing is voting once a day on what color I wish I had in the moment. I will track the results for a few months and the color with the most votes will be my pick. Of course this can all be thrown off if a new awesome color is added.. It's a tough life HAH!

#20 ·
1. Yes, Papaya looks great! I would love to see that in future configurator.
2. I would also love to see Graphite Blue Metallic back! This is one of my favorite color, especially paired with lighter color 20 inch wheels.
3. Be cautious with PTS color. They are expensive, I mean really expensive. I know money isn’t a factor anymore when you want something so bad. But to me, it is not worth it. (Not being offensive, personal opinion only)
4. Be cautious with striking colors too. Take racing yellow as an example, they look especially good on models such as GT4/Spyder (even a T model) because it pushes its aggressiveness (I mean exterior design) to another level. But configuring this color on a base cayman does not look great to me (in fact, a bit absurd) . The base 718 is a beautiful yet subtle design and that is a bit too hard to handle the “over-striking” color. Again, this is personal opinion only, no mean to offense anyone. Anyways, I love guard red and racing yellow. They are unique, and they are FREE!

#23 ·
Great points. I have not seen Graphite Blue in person so it's hard to judge. My "fear" is that it is too dull and comes off as gray. I am a big fan of lighter wheels (have not jumped on the black wheel train yet). Maybe it's because they blend in with the tire so much there isn't a lot of contrast.

Definite no on PTS.

Point number 4 is interesting. I agree loud colors look best on top of the line models. However, I think they do have a place lower in the food chain. To me, yellow/orange/etc are "fun" colors and could definitely work on the base model. I think your spec and wheel choice definitely play into it. If I get a loud color, it would NOT be for the "look at me" factor. I just simply love brighter colors and how they make me feel when I look at them. For example, my BMW M340i is mineral gray. GREAT color, however, I do not feel anything when I look at it (I would almost say I regret not getting it in blue). I think that is why I am carrying that sentiment over to the 718.

#27 ·
that's my favorite color possible. I would get PTS in that, eh, almost want to. sad how it would be 9000 more dollars vs originally ordering it tohugh. love it in a cayman, perfectly shows the lines regardless also of dirty-dusty vs shiny. black and midnight blue looked best for lines but i saw some dust in a showroom on them and they looked not as good as your color dirty or clean

#30 ·
Black, white, silver and gray are boring and soooo common. I have owned a silver and black Porsches as sometimes you have to weigh in other factors but white is an absolute no go. Your opinion may very and that is okay and I respect that. This go around it needed to be something BOLD and based on the response the color gets people absolutely love Miami Blue. I so glad I choose the color and made an effort to find the right color with the right options. Had to go 2,500 miles from home and it was worth every mile.

#31 ·
Black, white, silver and gray are boring and soooo common.
If they weren't so common, they'd be less boring. But yes, where I live at least, about 80-90% of the cars are those "colors". If that weren't true, I'd think white (metallic/pearl at least) would be a nice choice for standing out a bit. White can look very sporty depending on the car, but agree not so much on a base or S model 718. However, to really work, it needs a healthy dose of more radical and/or black contrasting design elements. If were to choose white, it would be for more practical considerations like the color is associated with fewer accidents (higher visibility due to better contrast to surroundings) and stays cooler in a hot climate.

Example of sporty in white (not boring to me):

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#34 ·
Porsche has a rich history of offering some beautiful and opulent metallics such as Violet Blue Metallic, Carmona Red Metallic, Zenith Blue Metallic, Mamba Green Metallic, and Sapphire Blue Metallic...where has all the flair gone? Most metallic "colors" offered today are basically muted shades of gray from white to black (no offense Raven), other than GBM, Adventurine Green Metallic, and Frozen Berry Metallic. Adventurine Green often appears grayscale in many lighting situations and Mary Kay...er...Frozen Berry just isn't my style (for which my horrible parents, rotten teachers, demented shrinks, or some other random conspiracy is to blame).

My inability to sell PTS to the CEO resulted in our selecting Gentian Blue Metallic for the GTS. Wish it was SBM or another bright metallic color. Unfortunately, timing is everything and obviously not my strong suit, so GBM it shall be.

#35 ·
Frozen Berry and Aventurine Green are the same paints and additives most likely.

My friend owns a pretty high volume autobody shop and I hang out there sometimes. We looked up these colors and it seems the secret is this gold additive thing that is very expensive but you need only a tiny bit out of the bottle to make the color.

He has determined that Porsche metallics are just two stages after the primer, like regular car paint. Done nicely and very good paint and coatings, but not complex. Complex is like Mazda. Mazda has layers of various tones as well as metallic layer and color layers. My MX-5 RF in metallic grey has four layers of paint after the primer, and the red one has five layers of paint after primer. That is the reason a Mazda looks amazing as metallic and the Porsche looks beautiful but not mesmerizing at all. I do not know about gentian if it also uses that fancy bottle of gold flake combo. It has prismatics in it and gold in the 1-2oz you add to a whole car of paint.

#40 ·
I had no choice. The deal with the wife was she gets to pick the color. Sapphire Blue was discontinued. She wanted Gentian Blue with a black luxor beige leather interior. I wanted the Carmine Red (pricey) but had to hold to the deal. I have never been able to get a full appreciation of the color via a computer screen. It is a start, but if you can, try to look for the color on a vehicle ... Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.