Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, happy to have found this forum.

I currently have a '16 Miata Club and I am considering a Boxster (trim level to be determined) and I was curious if anyone here came from a Miata (especially the ND) and what your positive and negative ownership experiences have been with your 718.

I have no Porsche brand affinity, I am just looking for something that is the next step up from my Miata and the Boxster is really the only choice in the market with a manual transmission (Corvette convertible is both heavier and actually more than I want for the street and the F-Type is more of a GT car).

Obviously the Boxster is "more" vehicle (in every way) than the Miata, but one of the things I absolutely love about my Miata is the fact that I can drive the car at nearly 100% on the street and not attract attention from those who gift tickets. With even the base Boxster offering the kind of performance that would equal my previous B8.5 Audi S4, I am worried that I may not be able to "fully" enjoy a Boxster in daily driving.

I would also love to hear those things that you dislike about your 718.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had an NB I bought new and kept for 17 years. I absolutely loved that car.

When I picked up my new Cayman, I told the folks at PEC/Atlanta that "I hope this thing is at least as good as my old Miata." They kind of smiled at first but I told them I was serious. My Miata was an excellent commuter car and also a keen track day car. Absolutely no drama ever and I could fully use it's performance on the street without getting a lot of notice.

I always liked to say it was the best British sports car the Japanese ever built.

I do like the Cayman. It has been a challenge to keep it under triple digit speeds. I'm a pretty mellow street driver, but the 718 is a willing temptress.

The PDK box is a great compromise for me since my wife (who cannot drive a stick) can also enjoy. I have several other classic Brit roadsters, so I have no shortage of manual boxes if I get the urge to row gears.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i was hoping there would be more reponses to this question... I also just came from a Miata ND... LOVED IT!! that's after a '14 GT500 and C7 Z51 vette... which was awesome. Again, my issue was the horsepower... OR driving around blue-balled... i'm not a finesse driver and not being able to put your put into it isnt as much as a Miata. I loved my ND...and could drive it wheels off...and finally did... I totalled it, trying to drift a turn... so I purchased a Boxster T... waiting for a July delivery. I"m curious to the comparisons as well...

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I came from an ND, a European spec 1.5 131 horsepower version.
The ND is a really fun very go-cart like car, and the low power level means you can give it all it's got with little fear for your safety.
But what gives the ND it's charm is also on some levels working against it.
Yes it is small, light and nimble, but small also means cramped with little space for cargo, and light in some instances (in my experience also the ND) means lower build quality.
The cabin in the ND has little space for the driver and passenger, in the 718 it is a lot more comfortable.
The trunk in the ND is about the same size as the rear trunk of the 718 Boxster, the frunk of the Boxster is bigger, so the Boxster has more than twice the luggage storage.
In the ND I had a couple of rattles and it just didn't feel as well built as the 718.
It also means that the 718 feels bigger on the road, not grandtourer like, but more sports car than go-cart, and it certainly has more comfort.
Then there is the performance, my 300 hp 718 base Boxster blows my previous 131 hp ND away, so it more than makes up for the extra weight, so much that it will take a little more clear road than the ND to give it full throttle safely.
If my finances dictated that I had to go back to an ND I would not hesitate, but I would definitely prefer to keep my 718, it is overall just a better car.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have both a 718 Cayman GTS and an NC Miata (for last 11 years). The two cars are worlds apart. IMO, the only advantage the Miata has it that is (and feels) lighter than the 718. Other than that the 718 is simply better in every way, and should be for the price differential. I am wrestling with selling the Miata or buying a second BackYard Buddy since I just bought another sports car. I guess we will see how much I like the Miata when the newest arrival pushes the Miata outside.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been the owner of a 2.0 ND Miata for the last 3 years (+55.000 miles), and still am. Just bought a base Cayman one month ago with the intention of replacing the Miata. After a month of using both cars I can say there is no way the Cayman will replace my little Miata, at least for now. I will probably be thrashed for what I'm going to say, but I'll give you my two cents all the same:

They are more different than one might think (I used to think the Porsche would be an upgraded version of the Miata with more power and better handling, but the differences are more significant than just this). The Cayman is obviously a much better car in all objective aspects. It's much faster in straight line, much faster on mountain roads, much more comfortable for highway cruising, the build quality is just at another level, it has twice as much storage space, it feels much more stable when driving fast (no body roll at all here)... but all those virtues at the same time are the greatest drawbacks of the Cayman when compared against the Miata. Sometimes the Porsche might feel a little bit too perfect. A little bit too clinical. Maybe it's too German (no offense intended). Maybe it could use a bit of crazy Italian flavor mixed up with so much German precision.

In order to have fun with the Cayman on public roads you need to drive very fast. And very fast on a sportscar like the Porsche means really fast. And even when driving at this pace, you'll feel you are still well away from reaching the limits of the car. On its own that should be perfect. It's a victory for engineering. The Cayman really seems to defy the laws of physics. I should end my "review" here. However, as you will have probably realized by now if you're the owner of a Miata, driving fast is fun, but what's really fun and thrilling is driving close to the limits of the car, and with the Mazda this is quite easy to achieve on public roads without the need to drive at insane speeds. Everything with the Miata feels more raw, whereas the Porsche feels more refined and artificial, especially with the PDK (maybe I should have gone for a manual).

Don't get me wrong, I think the Cayman is a fantastic car, however, sometimes, when driving it, I kinda miss being able the revv the **** out of the engine without reaching insanely fast speeds, or being able to drive through a roundabout hearing the tires screeching and feeling the rear end of the car starting to lose grip... (then, of course, when driving the Miata, I miss the power of the Porsche).

I think the Miata is a little bit more engaging than the Porsche. Everything feels less filtered out, it also feels quite lighter and it's much easier to drive close to the limit of the car whenever you want to, which will grant you heaps of fun and you may even get to preserve your driving license.

To sum up, the Porsche is indeed a better car in overall, so if I had to pick just one, I would choose the Porsche. It's a better sportscar and at the same time is a better cruiser. Nonetheless, the Miata feels a little bit more special than the Cayman. It's a modern (soft) sportscar in the guise of a sportscar from the old times. The Cayman in comparison feels just like one of the many super-fast, super-precise sportscars or hot hatches you can buy today (no doubt it is the best among them though). I could fathom the 718 being replaced in the near future with a hybrid or electric model without much drama, providing the incoming model has more power and more gadgets than the current version. However, the Mazda, I'm afraid, is the last of its kind, the last of an era. I don't think we'll ever see a car like this. There will be much better cars, that's for sure, but none of them will feel like the old Miata.

Please, don't be too hard on me for my words. ?

·
Registered
645 Posts
@giracat I get your liking the Miata feeling. It is special, but for me, I think most of its special feeling falls into the category of driving a slow car fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Couldn’t agree more.

I had a 2.0 ND Miata from new. Without doubt the ND had lots of character. So much fun to drive.

My Boxster GTS is a real head turner with lots of power and speed. But it’s not as characterful.

Maybe one day I’ll revisit and tune a Miata.

·
Registered
25 Posts
since i dont have a boxster yet to compare... I'd guess the difference is how the distance is traveled... if going on a long cruise, or better yet an actual trip somewhere, you'll certainly be more comfortable in the Boxster... but if its just short weekend stints for kicks, the Miata may have it. For a weekend toy... I think the Miata may be the answer. But for daily driver/actual high cruising etc -- the miata isnt the best at that... (its horrible on the interstate since its so small, the wind noise is pretty insane, that's one of the reasons I wasnt in the biggest hurry to get another one-- and the passenger seat is a real penalty box). I think its part of the trade off... a small/light car isnt going to be a great highway cruiser... but on a backroad, it excels! I found myself doing just that... getting off the interstate and taking the small roads for fun and enjoyed every minute. I think that's what makes the Miata so special..
Plus the Boxster T is also the price of three Miata's -- 83k vs 27k for my Miata ND Club w/ BBS. Do you get 3X the enjoyment? I'm guessing if you value comfort & looks...sure the Porsche will win... but if its just fun...and fun and enjoyment is the reason you buy a sportscar... I can see why a Miata can be tough to beat. Especially when its a third of the price... (cheaper tires, insurance, gas etc.)

·
Registered
250 Posts
@giracat I get your liking the Miata feeling. It is special, but for me, I think most of its special feeling falls into the category of driving a slow car fast.
Indeed. However if this slow car (the Miata ND is not slow at any rate) has a great balance, feels super light, features a world class manual transmission (no need to get a shorter knob here), shows a very fun and gentle oversteering tendency and mounts an engine you can enjoy revving up (some say the 1.5 is even better than the 2.0 regarding this aspect) you end up with a great combination which will certainly provide tones of enjoyment. You need a very special "slow" car to achieve this. Driving fast an average non-sporty slow car can be absolutely frustrating and will provide no fun at all.

The Mazda is a true, low-powered sportscar. One of the main complaints it receives is an excessively soft setting of the dampers. I was among those to complain about this setting. However, after having driven the 718, I can start to understand what the Japanese engineers intended to achieve with this decission. They knew they had nothing to do in terms of performance when comparing their car against their more powerful rivals. Instead, they decided to go for a softer setup which would probably enhance the fun factor by making the reactions of the car more gentle, predictable and user-frendly.

I think I am going out this afternoon to order a KIA sedan. All the benefits of the Miata, plus worse handling!... :eek:

I will reach the limits of the car just getting out of my driveway!...:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Well sir, if you compare a Miata with a Kia Sedan I guess is because you've never driven one, otherwise you wouldn't be making fun of it. I would advise you to give the Miata ND a try if you ever have the chance. It will certainly surprise you for the good. A Kia Sedan, unlike the Miata, is heavy, with a poor power-to-weight ratio (are you aware the power-to-weight ratio of the Miata ND is better than a Golf GTI's?), feels cumbersome, has a loose steering, a floppy gear shifter (or a laggy automatic transmission) and when driven fast will have unpredictable and undesired reactions, such as tones of understeering. Nothing to do with the Miata.

The Miata may not be as fast, sophisticated and expensive looking as a Porsche, but I know several Porsche owners who have tried or owned a Miata and they all regard this little car with a lot of respect. In fact, some of them even advised me against replacing the Miata with a Cayman if I was looking for a fun weekend car (I was looking for a DD though and the 718 is unarguably a better car here).

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Indeed. However if this slow car (the Miata ND is not slow at any rate) has a great balance, feels super light, features a world class manual transmission (no need to get a shorter knob here), shows a very fun and gentle oversteering tendency and mounts an engine you can enjoy revving up (some say the 1.5 is even better than the 2.0 regarding this aspect) you end up with a great combination which will certainly provide tones of enjoyment. You need a very special "slow" car to achieve this. Driving fast an average non-sporty slow car can be absolutely frustrating and will provide no fun at all.

Well sir, if you compare a Miata with a Kia Sedan I guess is because you've never driven one, otherwise you wouldn't be making fun of it. I would advise you to give the Miata ND a try if you ever have the chance. It will certainly surprise you for the good. A Kia Sedan, unlike the Miata, is heavy, with a poor power-to-weight ratio (are you aware the power-to-weight ratio of the Miata ND is better than a Golf GTI's?), feels cumbersome, has a loose steering, a floppy gear shifter (or a laggy automatic transmission) and when driven fast will have unpredictable and undesired reactions, such as tones of understeering. Nothing to do with the Miata.

The Miata may not be as fast, sophisticated and expensive looking as a Porsche, but I know several Porsche owners who have tried or owned a Miata and they all have a lot of respect for this little car. In fact, some of them even advised me against replacing the Miata with a Cayman if I was looking for a fun weekend car (I was looking for a DD though and the 718 is unarguably a better car here).
Relax son!

I am not making fun of the Miata. I had a Toyota MR2 as a daily driver from 86 to 91 and I am well aware on what we are talking about.

You missed my point. I was actually poking good humored fun at you for your logic about why the Miata is an attractive sportscar, by pointing to an absurd choice like the KIA which has more space, less power as in HP/lb, worse brakes and worse handling being a better choice (according to this logic).

As I said, I drove an MR2, with its fearsome 116HP and McPherson struts and I loved it. I know what you mean.

As a matter of fact, I was out to get the latest Miata as my daily driver (trading in a 6sp Mustang GT), when, on my 65th birthday, a bulb went on:

Wait a minute! I just turned 65! How long do I have to wait before I buy a Porsche?

Peace!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Relax son!

I am not making fun of the Miata. I had a Toyota MR2 as a daily driver from 86 to 91 and I am well aware on what we are talking about.

You missed my point. I was actually poking good humored fun at you for your logic about why the Miata is an attractive sportscar, by pointing to an absurd choice like the KIA which has more space, less power as in HP/lb, worse brakes and worse handling being a better choice (according to this logic).

As I said, I drove an MR2, with its fearsome 116HP and McPherson struts and I loved it. I know what you mean.

As a matter of fact, I was out to get the latest Miata as my daily driver (trading in a 6sp Mustang GT), when, on my 65th birthday, a bulb went on:

Wait a minute! I just turned 65! How long do I have to wait before I buy a Porsche?

Peace!
No worries sir, I presumed you were being sarcastic, so no ofense was taken despite my words. I Just wanted to clarify my point in case someone had missed it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I shifted from an ND MX-5 to a new 718 Boxster two months ago.

At this point in the ownership journey I’d make the following observations:

When you’re on a twisty back road, they are both about as much fun to drive.

However - in terms of the overall ownership proposition, there is no comparison. The Boxster is way better built, has more storage space, feels way more substantial on the road (esp. when next to trucks etc) and of course undeniably has a better badge.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Older thread but clearly there's a lot of crossover between the two marques and models.
It's interesting to participate in the Miata forums to see what they say about "us."

My P cars will come and go but I'll always have a NA Miata.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Racing

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I was in love with the NA. Closest thing to a Lotus Elan, which I couldn’t afford at the time. I bought the MR2 before it came out and I stuck with it, but always wondered what it might have been...

·
Registered
45 Posts
If "too much power" is a problem, you could always look at a ~2016 981 Boxster base. Faster, but not crazy fast. You'll still be able to push a nice high-reving 6-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What eventually made me want to be rid of my Miata was the buzziness and overall NVH levels. For short blasts it was fine but my commute is 30 minutes with some of that being a fairly high speed 4 lane and for that it could be tiresome. The Miata is at its best at 60mph and under, preferably not going in a straight line. My 718 Cayman is not a quiet car but it's quieter and far less buzzy than the Miata, even at high interstate speeds. I don't get fatigued even on longer drives and I find it to be more fun to drive hard than the Miata just because it is so much more precise and capable. I've never been a "powerslide" kind of guy anyway so maybe the Porsche formula just suits me better anyway.

I loved my time with my Miata and if it weren't for that car I wouldn't be able to appreciate my 718 the way I do. If I had endless garage space and resources I might still have a Miata in the collection somewhere but since I don't the 718 is the better choice for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts