Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
884 Posts
Reviving this thread, as I am suddenly considering getting a 2022 ND MX-5 / Miata.

The GTS 4.0 Cayman is amazing on back roads, cruising, and special occasions, so a convertible alternative at much lower weight and shorter ratios would be a fun car around town, to enjoy to its limits, and in rare moments of top-down weather.

I intend to have the Porsche 10+ years or forever. The MX-5 would be basically a roofless go-kart I can beat on.

My friend is looking at a CX-5 as he needs a new car, so will go w/ him tomorrow to the Mazda dealer and may do my test drive as well.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
I had an ND1 and it was a revelation. My son took it to college with him and I missed it so much I bought a '21 ND2.

It's an extraordinary car and definitely has a place in my driving life. I will choose that car over a 500+hp car, and I do that a lot when I go to the garage. There is just no substitute for having only 1050 or so kg to move around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yup. Short story is I had C8 on order, due to leadtime I bought a Miata to hold me over.
Quickly realized how much FUN driving a stick was again, so ordered the 718 manual(C8 is auto only)
Miata is the gateway drug to 718.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Do it @Graustark. I have a 2008 Miata. I should say had because it is now in Seattle with my son. It has such a connected feeling compared to other sports cars. I have a 718, an Elise and a 4C, and while the NC Miata cannot perform to their level, it provides a driving feeling missing from those cars. In short, you are on to something with the top-down ND Miata.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
884 Posts
Do it @Graustark. I have a 2008 Miata. I should say had because it is now in Seattle with my son. It has such a connected feeling compared to other sports cars. I have a 718, an Elise and a 4C, and while the NC Miata cannot perform to their level, it provides a driving feeling missing from those cars. In short, you are on to something with the top-down ND Miata.
That's quite an accolade with that stable of audacious alternatives. Thank you for the assertive "do it". :D

2340 lbs vs 3040 lbs, super fast top up/down, naturally aspirated 7500 redline, shorter ratios, Japanese reliability, and some creature comforts with the Touring trim.

I initially wanted a Boxster (when ultimately getting the Cayman), but my pal had a 986 one and pointed out that (I feel rightfully so) the top can be a pain to keep clean. I found the top-up blind spots bothersome in my test drive.

With a fancy interior (two-tone leather) I had some concerns about an open roof... leaves, pollen, sprinkles of sudden rain, et cetera. A Miata would give me less anxiety to toss it around and drive in imperfect conditions. At all possible times I avoid valet with the Cayman, but I would be OK with that with the Miata.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
With a fancy interior (two-tone leather) I had some concerns about an open roof... leaves, pollen, sprinkles of sudden rain, et cetera. A Miata would give me less anxiety to toss it around and drive in imperfect conditions. At all possible times I avoid valet with the Cayman, but I would be OK with that with the Miata.
Yes, and ND stock "club" suspension also has really great clearance. Short overhangs means no trouble at all with garages or aggressive drainage around shopping centers and that kind of thing. If you do break something it would probably cost $100 to fix anyway.

And yes, perfect gear ratios since they can fit within emissions and noise regulations so easily. Perfectly linear NA motor. And yes, if I absolutely positively must get somewhere, that is the car I take. It is 100% reliable. If a family member is in the hospital, that is the car I hop into.

For me, the Spyder really can't replace it. And I wouldn't want it to! The ND2 is way too amazing as a sports car to kick it out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes, and ND stock "club" suspension also has really great clearance. Short overhangs means no trouble at all with garages or aggressive drainage around shopping centers and that kind of thing. If you do break something it would probably cost $100 to fix anyway.

And yes, perfect gear ratios since they can fit within emissions and noise regulations so easily. Perfectly linear NA motor. And yes, if I absolutely positively must get somewhere, that is the car I take. It is 100% reliable. If a family member is in the hospital, that is the car I hop into.

For me, the Spyder really can't replace it. And I wouldn't want it to! The ND2 is way too amazing as a sports car to kick it out.
Mixed feelings reading these MX-5 reviews… went and test drove a ‘21 RF as a wknd car months before getting serious with the 718. At 6’4 I just couldn’t fit, I was forcing myself to say I could. It didn’t help that the SA went along for the ride (who also couldn’t drive MT), making for an even tighter 1st cabin experience.

It was a hoot to drive, it felt so raw in that great way. I certainly understand the rave reviews.

I may look at the ‘22 GR86 or BRZ based on the recent reviews I’ve seen from Everyday Driver.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
Mixed feelings reading these MX-5 reviews… went and test drove a ‘21 RF as a wknd car months before getting serious with the 718. At 6’4 I just couldn’t fit, I was forcing myself to say I could. It didn’t help that the SA went along for the ride (who also couldn’t drive MT), making for an even tighter 1st cabin experience.

It was a hoot to drive, it felt so raw in that great way. I certainly understand the rave reviews.

I may look at the ‘22 GR86 or BRZ based on the recent reviews I’ve seen from Everyday Driver.
Yeah, I’m 5’9”. I don’t know that I’d love this car as much I do, if I was 7 inches taller. That would change things. Also the passenger seat has much less legroom and probably only realistically works up to like 5’6”. My 5’10” friend sat there and cursed me for 2 hours once while she held her bag in her lap because the tiny trunk was full. Those are the downsides.
Also it’s slow. Which is good and bad. You can drive it hard on any road and not go to jail.

I haven’t driven the new 86/BRZ yet.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Those seriously considering a new Miata (or any Mazda) should be aware an SCCA membership ($85) allows one to use Mazda's Employee S-Plan Pricing. The S-Plan may not necessarily be the lowest price one can negotiate. Regardless, I wouldn't allow a dealer to begin their haggling ritual with any higher number.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
884 Posts
Those seriously considering a new Miata (or any Mazda) should be aware an SCCA membership ($85) allows one to use Mazda's Employee S-Plan Pricing. The S-Plan may not necessarily be the lowest price one can negotiate. Regardless, I wouldn't allow a dealer to begin their haggling ritual with any higher number.
Can you elaborate, if necessary? Most I can tell is it offers a no-haggle price that is improved from MSRP. May be worth it as used car prices are high, so new cars may be hard to haggle too, esp w/ an enthusiast Miata.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
884 Posts
Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am 6' 0" exactly and have no issues in the NC, but then again I don't think Lolita, my Elise, is too small inside either.

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
107 Posts
I debated a Miata RF. I love that Targa look. I ended up with the right choice for me though.
Now if they made a 718 Targa...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts