Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
40 Posts
I will likely move to a GT4 next. I track enough that I'm now considering suspension mods and bucket seats, so I think if I don't go down the mod route I'll go GT4 instead.
I have buckets in my gts and will likely do a roll cage and harnesses. Planning on keeping mine at least 3-4 years and tracking as much as I can but keeping the car as street friendly as possible

Been planning my build out.
Apr tune maybe pdk tune, Exhaust, probably catted downpipe, a lowering spring to make more natural camber to get more out of it, gt3 control arms, DSC controller, Pagid rs29’s, girodisc rotors, stainless limes, Castrol srf, titan 7 19” wheels, 255/285 cup 2’s and some of the SuncoastParts underpanel cooling mods and other cooling mods that will be developed over time.(I’m assuming a company like CSF will make a more efficient air/water intercooler and heat exchanger like they have for numerous cars) And call it a day. Once I get bored, I’ll see where 991.2 GT2RS prices are and 992 turbo s’s are at. I have a good friend with 991.2 GT3RS Weissach that I’ve driven a decent amount and honestly, feel wise, I’m not sure it pulls much harder than my stock GTS. I’m sure it does based on numbers but the feel isn’t there just pull wise. The gap will be even less, if at all after the apr tune.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have buckets in my gts and will likely do a roll cage and harnesses. Planning on keeping mine at least 3-4 years and tracking as much as I can but keeping the car as street friendly as possible

Been planning my build out.
Apr tune maybe pdk tune, Exhaust, probably catted downpipe, a lowering spring to make more natural camber to get more out of it, gt3 control arms, DSC controller, Pagid rs29’s, girodisc rotors, stainless limes, Castrol srf, titan 7 19” wheels, 255/285 cup 2’s and some of the SuncoastParts underpanel cooling mods and other cooling mods that will be developed over time.(I’m assuming a company like CSF will make a more efficient air/water intercooler and heat exchanger like they have for numerous cars) And call it a day. Once I get bored, I’ll see where 991.2 GT2RS prices are and 992 turbo s’s are at. I have a good friend with 991.2 GT3RS Weissach that I’ve driven a decent amount and honestly, feel wise, I’m not sure it pulls much harder than my stock GTS. I’m sure it does based on numbers but the feel isn’t there just pull wise. The gap will be even less, if at all after the apr tune.
This is the big question for me. I have a full build out planned, more focused on seats, harness, suspension work, and in particular the tractive dampers. But I've also never kept a car as long as I have this 718S already, and a Porsche GT car is a bucket list item for me. They are steep upfront but slow to depreciate so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
40 Posts
This is the big question for me. I have a full build out planned, more focused on seats, harness, suspension work, and in particular the tractive dampers. But I've also never kept a car as long as I have this 718S already, and a Porsche GT car is a bucket list item for me. They are steep upfront but slow to depreciate so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.
I could have got a 981 GT4 first but performance wise, I don’t really think it has much on the GTS 2.5 I just bought.

Ive posted this before

718 GT4 ring time is 7:28 and the 981 GT4 ring time is 7:40. Both of those cars on Cup 2 tires and 245/295 widths.

2.5 GTS also ran a 7:40 if my research is correct and that was on 235/265 4s’s. Put the same tires on the gts and what happens?

All the new cars are so quick and so close together. Granted better depreciation and sound but is that it now?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm wondering how hard (or not) it is to find a dealer with a build slot. Prior generation GT4s have been hard to buy, but I don't know if the same has been true for 718 GT4s or if it will be difficult to buy a GTS 4.0.

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
40 Posts
I'm wondering how hard (or not) it is to find a dealer with a build slot. Prior generation GT4s have been hard to buy, but I don't know if the same has been true for 718 GT4s or if it will be difficult to buy a GTS 4.0.
supposedly there is no restrictions on production and they are going to make to demand. From what I understand with the 991 gt3’s is they let them have basically as many as they could sell.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah I'm hoping it's the same as the GT3s, especially after the initial rush. I'm fine with MSRP if I can configure it to my liking, otherwise I'll wait a bit longer and grab a CPO/off the lot one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm looking at the 4.0 mostly because it is PTS. I called my SA to inquire and he offered me a 718 GT4 PTS slot which I turned down. I don't like the wing or low ground clearance on the GT4. Not a fan of the Spyder humps, although I know I am in some small minority if not the only one.

I don't have a hangup on the T4 but I did order a PDK because I thought 1.) I wanted some variety, and 2.) it paired better with the turbo and so now I am considering getting a manual F6 4.0. I test drove the 981 GT4 and found the long gearing to be frustrating. I know it's the same gearing as has been on Boxster/Caymans forever, but that higher redline and louder engine just made it less pleasant. I still have my 987.1 Boxster and hardly get that out of 2nd gear on back road twisties in my neighborhood. I shift around 60 mph from 2nd to 3rd and that is on roads with 35MPH speed limits and a lot of blind corners. The newer, louder, more powerful cars just seems to highlight the existing problem.

I'm still pondering getting either a Boxster or Cayman PTS but it seems like European delivery could be a PITA given all the current uncertainty. I was also not thrilled to see they replaced Alcantara with Race-Tex. I haven't seen anybody bitch except for me. I spent a lot of time looking into "faux suede" products number of years ago because I redid my boat interior in Alcantara. There are a lot of "Acantara like" products out there in a wide range of prices. Alcantara is pretty pricey and I paid up for it on my boat because of the specs. There is a big difference between $15/yard generic microsuede fabric and $120/yard (IIRC) Alcantara. Ultrasuede, another branded microsuede product didn't even have as high specs. I don't know what Race-Tex really is. You would think it would be good if Porsche is putting it into their cars but it's hard for me not to wonder if they are cutting corners because Alcantara is so expensive. ( For all I know maybe Alcantara changed their name, I haven't really looked into it.)

If I get a new GTS, it will mostly likely be leather and PTS...but let's be serious, the price of PTS really sucks so it is a hard pill to swallow for us cheapskates.

I just don't seem motivated to part with my current T4, so not sure what I will do. I'm usually not a change for the sake of change guy....but I am trying...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just told my sales guy that I want to switch my Cayman S preference to the Cayman GTS 4.0. Tried to do Euro Delivery last year, but no Base slots available. Then I switched to S this summer, but COVID hit and cancelled since I could not do Euro Delivery. So, screw Euro Delivery, I want the GTS 4.0 ASAP. He doesn't have any allocations yet!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I just told my sales guy that I want to switch my Cayman S preference to the Cayman GTS 4.0. Tried to do Euro Delivery last year, but no Base slots available. Then I switched to S this summer, but COVID hit and cancelled since I could not do Euro Delivery. So, screw Euro Delivery, I want the GTS 4.0 ASAP. He doesn't have any allocations yet!
Rooting for you @Graustark! If the dealer orders one for you, can you do your own build and not cause a delay?

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rooting for you @Graustark! If the dealer orders one for you, can you do your own build and not cause a delay?
Just spoke to him! Did a Porsche Code build and dropped a renewed deposit. "Order demand code" established. Looks like there are 2 folks ahead of me, but I have secured my place in the queue, as it were. w00t! :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Other than choice of transmission, which has been well covered over the years, the only "performance" options to pick between are ceramic brakes (or not), and the PASM setup, ie, the standard GTS setup or softer anti-roll bars and raised 10mm. Any thoughts on these? I assume those buying to track the car may opt for ceramics and go with the lower/stiffer suspension, but the daily drivers will stick with standard brakes and opt to raise the ride height relative to the stock sport setup by 10mm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a GT4 long ago because of the lack of NA in the Cayman line. Had the GTS been available NA I would have been satisfied with that and stopped there. Now I have the "GT4 bug" since it is on a boat. I am sure I won't be driving the GT4 as much as I would the GTS, a lot of places I go have prohibitive driveways for the GT4. I also order the sport bucket racing seats so wondering how far I can go in those.

A good "problem" to have....thinking I can sell the GT4 if it is not perfect for me and get a GTS :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
6 Posts
the only "performance" options to pick between are ceramic brakes (or not), and the PASM setup, ie, the standard GTS setup or raised 10mm and softer anti-roll bars. Any thoughts on these? I assume those buying to track the car may opt for ceramics and go with the lower/stiffer suspension, but the daily drivers will stick with standard brakes and opt to raise the ride height relative to the stock sport setup by 10mm.
I just ordered a GTS 4.0 over the weekend, which will primarily be used as a daily driver (65% DD / 30% canyon carver / 5% track). I elected to go with S-PASM over PASM after trying each out on comparable Cayman test drives, both in some very high-g cornering, and after traversing my neighborhood speed bumps, potholes, and my driveway. The handling felt notably better to me with the full 20mm drop, and in truth I'm buying this car with Handling as my #1 criteria. If I wasn't planning to track it, I'd probably splurge for the ceramics, because they'd likely last me the life of the car. But they are way too expensive for me to use on the track.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm looking at the 4.0 mostly because it is PTS.
For some reason, this is the first "I want a 4.0" reason that I can respect. Part of me feels like, short of a GT4, PTS wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective, but if you want PTS you do that.

A Gulf blue GT4 would be sweet....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
For some reason, this is the first "I want a 4.0" reason that I can respect.

A Gulf blue GT4 would be sweet....
I get the comment, but isn't it a bit harsh? These cars are discretionary purchases whether one buys a Base or a GT4. I think "just because" is good enough reason if one can afford it. Whatever makes the buyer happy!

I agree, a Gulf Blue would definitely be sweet!

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
40 Posts
I ordered a GT4 long ago because of the lack of NA in the Cayman line. Had the GTS been available NA I would have been satisfied with that and stopped there. Now I have the "GT4 bug" since it is on a boat. I am sure I won't be driving the GT4 as much as I would the GTS, a lot of places I go have prohibitive driveways for the GT4. I also order the sport bucket racing seats so wondering how far I can go in those.

A good "problem" to have....thinking I can sell the GT4 if it is not perfect for me and get a GTS :cool:
I have carbon buckets in my GTS, I can ride over 5 hours with them and be fine. Haven’t gone further. It really Depends got big you are and how old you are lol

21 - 40 of 46 Posts