Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had to drive a bit with their dead tire sitting in the front trunk? I am picking up a spare tire donut that will fit in completely, but when stuff happens and I need to use the spare, I will need a place to put the full sized tire. Some put it in the passenger seat. That's great if I am traveling alone.

I had a rear tire off two weeks ago to put a plug in it but did not test fit......so if no one has done it here....I'll post photos of one sitting in the trunk. I hope I can tight the lid down and safely travel with it ajar without damaging the hood.

Mike

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Haven't tried or measured, but it looks like a full size tire in need of repair/replacement will fit in the frunk when the spare donut needs to go on.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't tried or measured, but it looks like a full size tire in need of repair/replacement will fit in the frunk when the spare donut needs to go on.
I read a great thread here on that but there was a photo of a tire/wheel in the front trunk but not with the lid down and no mention of trying to drive with it there. I am concerned about damage to the hood??? If I am traveling by myself, no big deal the tire/wheel goes on the passenger seat. But if I am traveling with another person, it's going to be a S())* show. :)

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Small car, huge tyres—so a problem.

Call Porsche service, call your automobile association, try to fit wheel in, leave wheel by side of road, leave passenger by side of road. Choices, choices, choices. 😂

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I had no choice I would put it in rear trunk and tie thhe hatch down at least you are fighting the wind

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
590 Posts
Front and back are different sizes. Left and right are asymmetrical. How would you decide what tire to put in there? I would just use 1-800-PORSCHE or your insurer's roadside to tow it.

Reactions: JoeB3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goal is to get to a safer place to stop for night. Get off highway to monkey around with plug placement. etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front and back are different sizes. Left and right are asymmetrical. How would you decide what tire to put in there? I would just use 1-800-PORSCHE or your insurer's roadside to tow it.
? Yes, I know that. Had same setup for my M2 and do the same with my M5. I test fit my M2 spare front and rear. It was a narrower tire than the Rears and the Front, and that too was staggered size. I ended up getting a set of snow tires for the M2 as well and sold the spare for more than I paid for it. In the M5 I also have winter tires/rims (stock rims same as summer) so I put a front Winter tire in the trunk for the summer trip and in the winter a front summer tire. My RS6 had an inflatable spare, but I never had to use that. I did the same thing bringing along a full sized front summer/winter and left the donut at home. At least the RS6 came with a Jack, air compressor and a deflated donut spare tire. The M2 and M5 came with neither. They have better Fleet Milage by deleting the spare. My friend ordered a M550 (just got it a month ago) and was able to actually, get this, ORDER IT WITH A SPARE, A JACK AND AND AND a proper place for that spare to sit. Imagine that!!!

I'll take my chances with a spare tire if I get a flat far from home.

Saturday I am going to test mount the spare and see if the rear wheels fit in the trunk at all LOL, that chain to lock the rim on the side of the road might just work after all.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts