Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried contacting dozens of dealers in the past two months in multiple states (CA, TX, MD, KY, OH, etc) and all are sticking to MSRP with no wiggle room, whether they have allocation or not. None are asking over MSRP at least. I’m wondering if others are experiencing the same? This is for a base model.

Are there any dealers folks recommend? I’m planning on doing a PEC delivery so location of the dealer does not matter to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are there any dealers folks recommend? I’m planning on doing a PEC delivery so location of the dealer does not matter to me. Thanks!
in Dallas, I’d recommend park place porsche. The sales mgr (Pete Hodges) and my sa (Jim Lannom) are class acts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tried contacting dozens of dealers in the past two months in multiple states (CA, TX, MD, KY, OH, etc) and all are sticking to MSRP with no wiggle room, whether they have allocation or not. None are asking over MSRP at least. I’m wondering if others are experiencing the same? This is for a base model.

If you have limited quantity of a product, and an oversubscribed amount of individuals wanting to buy the product. Why would you discount it?

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
694 Posts
Porsche of Ocala, FL. Talk to Scott Prince. I suppose getting all the windows tinted is considered a discount (usually costs several hundred bucks). Great to deal with. Do cars get shipped direct to PEC or prepped by dealers then sent to Atlanta or LA? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You'll be very very lucky to get any form of discount on ANY Porsche at the moment. As mentioned, the lack of chips and slow down in production has ramped up the price of used vehicles and made new ones even harder to get hold of so why would an OPC discount a car that everyone wants?

My OPC has only 2 cars in their showroom that aren't sold. They can't deliver the sold units until replacements come in as its part of the Porsche franchise agreement that they have at least 1 of each product in the showroom.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
95 Posts

I have a related question. Why are the Porsche dealers NOT charging an ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) like almost every other dealer when there is a have high demand for their vehicles? Try buying a new Corvette anywhere near MSRP now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have limited quantity of a product, and an oversubscribed amount of individuals wanting to buy the product. Why would you discount it?
I realize that there is more demand than usual, but I don’t know by how much. There are still plenty of dealers with allocation when I call them up, and there are several posts here from others saying they’re getting 2-3% discount compared to 7%ish several years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a related question. Why are the Porsche dealers NOT charging an ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) like almost every other dealer when there is a have high demand for their vehicles? Try buying a new Corvette anywhere near MSRP now.
It’s all supply demand at the end of the day. I did run into a Porsche dealer today that was asking for ADM. They’ll charge whatever they can get away with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I realize that there is more demand than usual, but I don’t know by how much. There are still plenty of dealers with allocation when I call them up, and there are several posts here from others saying they’re getting 2-3% discount compared to 7%ish several years ago.
In the UK discounts on a Porsche from a Franchised dealer is pretty much unheard of.

Their attitude is, if you don’t buy it there is a line of people who will. So it’s very much, that is the price. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My unconfirmed theory: new Corvette buyers generally don't buy multiple Corvettes in their lives. They buy one and done as a midlife crisis or retirement present and then sit on the car until they can no longer drive so dealerships are going to milk as much out of that purchase as possible. Again this is a broad generalization based on personal observation. On the other hand, many Porsche buyers will buy more than one in their lifetime so the dealerships may prefer to build a customer for life relationship than to fleece a one and done customer. The margins on Porsches are already pretty large too.

Reactions: Scribbler

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
222 Posts
There are still plenty of dealers with allocation when I call them up,
That doesn't sound like the reality that we have been been reading for the past few months. Some dealers may say they have an allocation when it is anticipated in the next round. They will let you order, put down a deposit etc., but the car doesn't get built until an actual allocation is assigned to you. If they do actually have an allocation, publish the names; lots would love to hear about available allocations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered a 2021 base Boxster in February. At the time my dealer had no allocations. It took three weeks for them to trade with an other dealer to get the allocation to fulfill my order. My SA shared that I was one of two or three customers who he was able to get a 718 allocation. He said roughly 7 others went unfulfilled in 2021 production.
I think MSRP is common in the current market, and not just for Porsche’s. If you can find a dealer that seems like they would be a pleasure to work with and can provide confirmation of having a true allocation via a commission number attached to your name, go for it. If none can meet the last part then I’d consider getting on the list for their next bank of allocations and hang out on this forum to pass the time until the incredible day that your car shows up and you get see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's my recent 3% off MSRP story - hopefully it helps others. Being new to Porsche I had to do my homework on the endless available options. I decided what options I wanted using Youtube and forums like this one. I used the configurator to send my build code to a non-local dealer because the dealer closest to me didn't even respond to my email. I immediately received an automated email from the SA at the non-local dealer and I responded with a request for 6% off. No response. Perhaps a week later the sales manager emailed and asked if the SA was helpful. I responded that I contacted him but received no response and blamed the spam folder as to not place blame on the SA. Shortly afterward the SA contacted me and offered 3% off and said they had a "modifiable allocation". I'm still not sure what "modifiable" means. Perhaps someone could clue me in. I countered with 3% off plus "Entry and Drive" and was promptly smacked down. Paraphrasing his response..."take it or leave it, and by the way the allocation we had was sold at MSRP" So I took the 3% off deal and sent a deposit fully expecting to never get an allocation. Low and behold an allocation came my way soon afterwards and I'm V250 at the moment. The next allocation came so quickly that I have a nagging suspicion that I might have gotten a bit more off MSRP had I hemmed and hawed after the smack down. Despite Porsche being a dream car for me, I was indifferent during negotiations.

·
Registered
472 Posts
"modifiable allocation" means you can still customize it however you want per the configurator. If it was a dealer spec that was already locked, you'd be stuck with whatever options they chose

·
Registered
11 Posts
"modifiable allocation" means you can still customize it however you want per the configurator. If it was a dealer spec that was already locked, you'd be stuck with whatever options they chose
Thank you phroenips! It sounded more desirable than a simple allocation that's for sure. I had to re-customize it because my heart says 6MT and my knees say PDK. Thankfully the SA was responsive to the change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That doesn't sound like the reality that we have been been reading for the past few months. Some dealers may say they have an allocation when it is anticipated in the next round. They will let you order, put down a deposit etc., but the car doesn't get built until an actual allocation is assigned to you. If they do actually have an allocation, publish the names; lots would love to hear about available allocations.
Half of the dealers I called in California had allocations in the past week, including Walnut Creek, stevens creek, Valencia. And yes I confirmed they are actual allocations, not a wait list. I’m not sure if they still have them.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
95 Posts
Here's my recent 3% off MSRP story - hopefully it helps others. Being new to Porsche I had to do my homework on the endless available options. I decided what options I wanted using Youtube and forums like this one. I used the configurator to send my build code to a non-local dealer because the dealer closest to me didn't even respond to my email. I immediately received an automated email from the SA at the non-local dealer and I responded with a request for 6% off. No response. Perhaps a week later the sales manager emailed and asked if the SA was helpful. I responded that I contacted him but received no response and blamed the spam folder as to not place blame on the SA. Shortly afterward the SA contacted me and offered 3% off and said they had a "modifiable allocation". I'm still not sure what "modifiable" means. Perhaps someone could clue me in. I countered with 3% off plus "Entry and Drive" and was promptly smacked down. Paraphrasing his response..."take it or leave it, and by the way the allocation we had was sold at MSRP" So I took the 3% off deal and sent a deposit fully expecting to never get an allocation. Low and behold an allocation came my way soon afterwards and I'm V250 at the moment. The next allocation came so quickly that I have a nagging suspicion that I might have gotten a bit more off MSRP had I hemmed and hawed after the smack down. Despite Porsche being a dream car for me, I was indifferent during negotiations.
I tried a similar approach in the South Western states about five months ago. I received one offer for 2% off MSRP from an internet sales guy in So Cal. I emailed back, great, send me paperwork for signature and I will mail a check. No response. After a few days I started calling. Internet sales guy was not in. Finally got ahold of their sales mgr. His initial response was nobody there would offer a discount. I sent him the email thread and I received a terse email response - " salesman was not authorized to offer discounts". A few days later I got the customary form letter from the GM asking how my internet experience was and if there was anything he could do to make it better. I responded that if they would honor the offer made by the sales person it would be great. Got a call back from the GM's secretary with the "very sorry for the experience, yadda, yadda, forward the emails and the GM will make it right, yadda, yadda, line". Next day I got an email from the GM's email address with the same old "salesman was not authorized to offer discounts line". Maybe things are opening up now.

I ended up buying a two year old S with more options than the base model I was going to order for a lot less money. My wife is happy with her new car so I am too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
May I ask what dealership this was and what specific kind of 718 allocation you were searching for?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
that is not a reason not to discount anything. That is a reason to not discount things if this is 11th grade in high school and someone is writing an essay question on a weekly quiz in economics class. "supply and demand" is not an arguable stance to make a great business. It is narrow and has little to do with interpersonal high end business.

one discounts things to not be a jerk. People spend insane stupid money on those enormous, high end dealership showrooms, all the model looking front desk men and women, all of their time, and then won't give 5% off to a paying customer? those are narrow minded idiots who have no sense of business. The planet will remember that they gouged people 2% extra. I have been to dealerships that still do deals. They have, for 4-5% of their business loss, saved tens of thousands of advertising dollars for the next thirty years of their dealership.

Right now, the best thing to do is to give great service, relationships, conversations, happiness and give discounts as normally one could and be profitable. The whole pandemic thing is something that needs to be weathered, and is an opportunity to become the only game in town after it all settles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts