Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the Sport-Tex seat?

No my first pick would rather just go basic seat material - but it is on the one I am leaning toward. Worried of stains and comfort.

Thnx.

·
Registered
383 Posts

No my first pick would rather just go basic seat material - but it is on the one I am leaning toward. Worried of stains and comfort.

Thnx.
I have the sports Tex Seats and they are really comfortable and supportive but stain removal is a PITA. Really hard work and I've still not found a good product to use on this material. My dealer suggested a steam cleaner! I'm 6'3 and 100kg and the seats are perfect

·
Registered
388 Posts

Thnx.
I live in the Arizona desert, and I specifically had to have the car built to my spec just to have Sport-Tex seats. Not only are the Sport Plus Seats more comfortable for my build (I'm 6'4, 230lbs), but the Sport-Tex seats don't heat up in the summers or cool down in the winter the way leather does (this materiel is breathable). So in essence, you don't need heated or ventilated seats if you choose Sport-Tex. My long term experience with the seats is extremely limited (I've barely had the car for a month), so I'm not sure how they will wear over time (not really a concern to me since I'm leasing for 2 years), and as far as stains go, I imagine it would be much worse off than leather. Great part about leather is you can pretty much wipe almost anything off, with the Sport-Tex, you definitely have to be more aware and more careful. That being said, I absolutely love them and would not trade them for full leather tomorrow, even if Porsche offered me the option to switch for free.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Read many sources about the concerns of staining with leather verses fabric since I was thinking about getting the Sport-Tex seats. Leather is the better option if staining is a major concern. I choose leather for another important reason namely seat ventilation; I live in Texas and it gets a tad warm and I wanted the ventilation option, and, I can honestly say, I have found it works great at cooling the seat off quickly on hot days.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
I've had cloth seats (not Sport-Tex) in a couple of cars and never had any staining or wear issues. Some small stains came out with the dry-cleaning powder spray. (I used the carpet shampoo one.)

I do like leather though and chose it in my Boxster--the cheaper price helped as well.

A few simple rules should reduce staining: Don't eat or drink in the car--especially while driving. (D'uh.); and most importantly, don't drive so fast you sh*t yourself.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had cloth seats (not Sport-Tex) in a couple of cars and never had any staining or wear issues. Some small stains came out with the dry-cleaning powder spray. (I used the carpet shampoo one.)

I do like leather though and chose it in my Boxster--the cheaper price helped as well.

A few simple rules should reduce staining: Don't eat or drink in the car--especially while driving. (D'uh.); and most importantly, don't drive so fast you sh*t yourself.:)
Agreed - no eating in the car!! especially Cadbury's Flake - the wife's favourite (actually all chocolate is her favourite).

The problem I have is all the latest pairs of jeans have a non colour fast dye (made in China I'm guessing) - even after many washes the dye is still coming out. I don't wear them in the car, unless I forget. I had the leather seats treated and so far no dye transfer.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Thnx.
I have the Sport-Tex in graphite blue, 2-way. It's how the dealership spec'd it.

The leather can stain easily and get creases/wrinkles just as quick, but apparently it's just that way with all of the leather options Porsche offers. There are cleaners out there which do a good job but it hasn't bothered me yet. It's mostly the side bolster of the seat due to how I get in and out of the car. Overall though, it's a great interior and breathable. I like it personally and prefer it over their leather/alcantara option. Seat heating is quick and comfy for those colder days.

The only thing I do not like is not being able to adjust the lumbar, but that's due to a lingering back injury and just how it was spec'd. I'd say to to a dealer with one and sit in it.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
The leather can stain easily and get creases/wrinkles just as quick
Absolutely do not agree regarding the staining. Though, the only thing we drink while in the car is water anyway but for those that like their colas and coffee when they drive I would be more concerned with the fabric option.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Absolutely do not agree regarding the staining. Though, the only thing we drink while in the car is water anyway but for those that like their colas and coffee when they drive I would be more concerned with the fabric option.
I should have specified. Jean stains.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I should have specified. Jean stains.
I have the Chalk leather interior for over 8 months and there is no jean staining or staining of any sort. I use Meguiar's XPRESS spray wax and wipe down all the leather in the car. I spray the XPRESS wax on a white microfiber towel and then clean the entire surface of the chairs (and, in fact, all interior leather and plastic) then use a dry white microfiber towel to knock down the product. XPRESS does not leave an oily film and cleans all interior surfaces very well, and safely. I also use the XPRESS on the exterior surfaces with the PPF. It's a very versatile and effective product. My routine is to detail the car every 2 weeks...........great product.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Agreed - no eating in the car!! especially Cadbury's Flake - the wife's favourite (actually all chocolate is her favourite).
wish i could get flakes here in the US. it's my all-time favorite candy bar, though i hate using that term since it's just chocolate. i don't even really like chocolate but the flake gets me every time!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the Chalk leather interior

WOW!! Chalk leather interior with the black dash and Miami blue exterior. What an explosive commination!!! Very nice!!

All my previous cars had leather seats. I just took delivery of my 718 with the black Sport-Tex interior. I can't comment for now about stain resistance.

However, I love the look, the touch and the confort of Sport-Tex. I drove my friend's 911 with the Sport + seats (like mine) but he has full leather. The impression we both have is that the Sport-Tex seats are more comfortable. The padding is probably the same. But it is possible that the fabric is more flexible than leather and as a result it is less firm over bumps.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I have the Chalk leather interior

WOW!! Chalk leather interior with the black dash and Miami blue exterior. What an explosive commination!!! Very nice!!

All my previous cars had leather seats. I just took delivery of my 718 with the black Sport-Tex interior. I can't comment for now about stain resistance.

However, I love the look, the touch and the confort of Sport-Tex. I drove my friend's 911 with the Sport + seats (like mine) but he has full leather. The impression we both have is that the Sport-Tex seats are more comfortable. The padding is probably the same. But it is possible that the fabric is more flexible than leather and as a result it is less firm over bumps.
I believe the Sport-Tex interior is the most interesting and attractive color combination offered by Porsche. Just need to be a little more careful to avoid staining. The only problem I had with Sport-Tex is you can’t option seat ventilation.........really wanted that option.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I almost didn't order the Sport-Tex seats because of the inability to get seat ventilation. I have seat ventilation on my Panamera and my wife's A6 and it isn't very effective. When I read on this forum that the Sport-Tex seats are cooler than leather in the sun, I decided to go ahead and order them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It looks as though few people would go back from Sport-Tex.

Good to know there's an answer to the stain protection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts