Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my local dealer spring a $15K ADM on me after 6 months on the waiting list for a CGTS allocation just as I apparently moved to #1 on their list. I understand the economics of it from the dealer's perspective - and it doesn't really seem like $15K in this market is even all that unusual - but the principle of it is really frustrating to me when they knew these conditions existed (and would continue) at the time I gave them the deposit, yet they claimed until now that they would do MSRP.

So I guess I'm going to start looking around for dealers that will play ball at or around MSRP - I have to imagine there are at least a handful in the US that aren't asking $15K over right now. Anyone have any suggestions of dealerships I could get in contact with? Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Porsche Chantilly in Chantilly, VA, still seems to be doing MSRP. However, I will warn you that they are a pretty laid back and dispassionate group. They are the satellite of a much bigger chain. So they won't push on price, but they will be slow to get you an allocation. And they are even slower to put out updates. You will be waiting a while and you really have to hound them.
 

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
Joined
·
555 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. So sorry to hear that. Hennessey Porsche in Atlanta wasn't charging ADMs last I checked but I know they had decent lists for allocations as well. Good luck. Hopefully your perseverance will be properly rewarded.
 

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Imagine you walked into a train station and there was a queue for tickets. And on the other side of the station there was a queue for tickets being sold for 10% more money. Obviously the first queue will be much longer.

So the answer is MSRP is probably still possible, if you have the patience (or just get really lucky and happen to find a ticket someone can't use)
 

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
Joined
·
555 Posts
Imagine you walked into a train station and there was a queue for tickets. And on the other side of the station there was a queue for tickets being sold for 10% more money. Obviously the first queue will be much longer.

So the answer is MSRP is probably still possible, if you have the patience (or just get really lucky and happen to find a ticket someone can't use)
True dat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Just had my local dealer spring a $15K ADM on me after 6 months on the waiting list for a CGTS allocation just as I apparently moved to #1 on their list. I understand the economics of it from the dealer's perspective - and it doesn't really seem like $15K in this market is even all that unusual - but the principle of it is really frustrating to me when they knew these conditions existed (and would continue) at the time I gave them the deposit, yet they claimed until now that they would do MSRP.

So I guess I'm going to start looking around for dealers that will play ball at or around MSRP - I have to imagine there are at least a handful in the US that aren't asking $15K over right now. Anyone have any suggestions of dealerships I could get in contact with? Thanks!
Can’t speak specifically to non ADM on CGTS - but can say Porsche Asheville has been a pleasure and extremely easy to work with. Recommend giving them a call and ask for SA Ronald Klahr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Perimeter in Atlanta? When I was looking for a T, realizing it's not a GTS, I was told the philosophy of the dealership is to NOT charge above MSRP.
But you may be the 20th person on the list by now, too.
That's comforting to read

I bought a 2019 Cayman GTS from them to hold me over while I wait on a 2022 (or 2023) Cayman GTS 4.0 allocation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Just had my local dealer spring a $15K ADM on me after 6 months on the waiting list for a CGTS allocation just as I apparently moved to #1 on their list. I understand the economics of it from the dealer's perspective - and it doesn't really seem like $15K in this market is even all that unusual - but the principle of it is really frustrating to me when they knew these conditions existed (and would continue) at the time I gave them the deposit, yet they claimed until now that they would do MSRP.

So I guess I'm going to start looking around for dealers that will play ball at or around MSRP - I have to imagine there are at least a handful in the US that aren't asking $15K over right now. Anyone have any suggestions of dealerships I could get in contact with? Thanks!
Very sorry to hear this, 75north. You’re showing remarkable restraint given your circumstances. If i
I were you, I’d be livid. I understand that ADM’s are the norm these days but to pull that stunt at the eleventh hour on you is, to me, at least unscrupulous.

After being on a waiting list for a Cayman GTS 4.0 since late last July, I just got an allocation from my dealership, Porsche of Danbury (CT) a few weeks ago. They are not charging any ADM per se, but they are requiring PPF installed and pre-paid 2 year service. Of course, these numbers are marked up but at least I know I’m getting something for my money (and I probably would have gotten both anyway).

I’d recommend my dealership but I understand their waiting lists are long. Good luck in your search!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Just had my local dealer spring a $15K ADM on me after 6 months on the waiting list for a CGTS allocation just as I apparently moved to #1 on their list. I understand the economics of it from the dealer's perspective - and it doesn't really seem like $15K in this market is even all that unusual - but the principle of it is really frustrating to me when they knew these conditions existed (and would continue) at the time I gave them the deposit, yet they claimed until now that they would do MSRP.

So I guess I'm going to start looking around for dealers that will play ball at or around MSRP - I have to imagine there are at least a handful in the US that aren't asking $15K over right now. Anyone have any suggestions of dealerships I could get in contact with? Thanks!
I'll just say that's sick. While I can understand a dealer passing along an increase from the manufacturer that arose in the interim, I can't for a minute accept a dealer marking it up at the last minute for no reason other than because he can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Just had my local dealer spring a $15K ADM on me after 6 months on the waiting list for a CGTS allocation just as I apparently moved to #1 on their list. I understand the economics of it from the dealer's perspective - and it doesn't really seem like $15K in this market is even all that unusual - but the principle of it is really frustrating to me when they knew these conditions existed (and would continue) at the time I gave them the deposit, yet they claimed until now that they would do MSRP.

So I guess I'm going to start looking around for dealers that will play ball at or around MSRP - I have to imagine there are at least a handful in the US that aren't asking $15K over right now. Anyone have any suggestions of dealerships I could get in contact with? Thanks!
So annoying. What geographic region is the dealer in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Unless I am understanding you incorrectly, you have had an executed bill of sale for 6 months for which you have been waiting for a manufacturing allocation. You almost certainly plopped down a healthy cash deposit. How then can the contractual price change for any reason? I am not an attorney but shouldn't you be speaking to one? I am not at all certain this applies here but I have understood the ADM or "administrative"/dealer prep/advertising/etc. fees are the dealers doing, not the manufacturers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless I am understanding you incorrectly, you have had an executed bill of sale for 6 months for which you have been waiting for a manufacturing allocation. You almost certainly plopped down a healthy cash deposit. How then can the contractual price change for any reason? I am not an attorney but shouldn't you be speaking to one? I am not at all certain this applies here but I have understood the ADM or "administrative"/dealer prep/advertising/etc. fees are the dealers doing, not the manufacturers.
Yeah, I wish. I didn't have any firm agreement signed. At the time of the deposit I asked if they would lock me in at a certain price if I gave them my whole spec up front, but they didn't want that, saying that all that is handled later. I was simply putting a deposit down for a spot in line. It seemed a little strange at the time, and in retrospect they probably did this because any firm agreement wouldn't allow them to change things with the market later on.

Perhaps I messed up in not signing a "binding" document, but I just wish they would have been more honest with me throughout the whole process. The strange thing is that my family has a long term relationship with this dealer, having bought many cars from them going back to the 80s. It didn't even cross my mind when I put down the deposit that they might try to pull something like this.
 

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Yeah, I wish. I didn't have any firm agreement signed. At the time of the deposit I asked if they would lock me in at a certain price if I gave them my whole spec up front, but they didn't want that, saying that all that is handled later. I was simply putting a deposit down for a spot in line. It seemed a little strange at the time, and in retrospect they probably did this because any firm agreement wouldn't allow them to change things with the market later on.
Ugh. That stinks. So what will you do next? You could negotiate that $15k down maybe or start the process over with another dealer. I guess it comes down to how soon you need/want the car.

Maybe there is an ADM you are willing to pay and you offer that to this dealer and if that's not enough, especially given the relationship with your family, then you move on to another dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ugh. That stinks. So what will you do next? You could negotiate that $15k down maybe or start the process over with another dealer. I guess it comes down to how soon you need/want the car.

Maybe there is an ADM you are willing to pay and you offer that to this dealer and if that's not enough, especially given the relationship with your family, then you move on to another dealer?
Yeah, it's not a great situation. I went by the other day and asked if there was any room to negotiate from the $15k and at first my SA suggested that there was, only to later in the conversation go back on that and say that the $15K is firm...lol. If he would have just committed to $5K over or something I would just pay it and be done with this, but that doesn't seem likely.

So my choices are either: find a dealer willing to commit to no ADM but postpone getting a car by anywhere from several months to 2 years (at which point we'd be running up against the end of 4.0L production, which is obviously why I wish my SA would have just been up front with me in June), or to just go a completely different direction. Maybe CPO Carrera T?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Yeah, I wish. I didn't have any firm agreement signed. At the time of the deposit I asked if they would lock me in at a certain price if I gave them my whole spec up front, but they didn't want that, saying that all that is handled later. I was simply putting a deposit down for a spot in line. It seemed a little strange at the time, and in retrospect they probably did this because any firm agreement wouldn't allow them to change things with the market later on.

Perhaps I messed up in not signing a "binding" document, but I just wish they would have been more honest with me throughout the whole process. The strange thing is that my family has a long term relationship with this dealer, having bought many cars from them going back to the 80s. It didn't even cross my mind when I put down the deposit that they might try to pull something like this.
Sounds like they wanted as little written evidence of a price discussion as possible just so they could tack on some pure dealer profit, which is frustrating. I've been wondering if my dealer may try to do the same thing, though we have a more thorough record of written communication on the subject of price (I can't help it - I'm a lawyer). How are you optioning the car out? That might qualify as leverage since the next guy they sell the reservation to may elect to get a more barebones model? You might also float the idea of a "relationship" interest (e.g., I'll buy my next Porsche from you?). If it were me, I'd tell 'em to go fuck themselves and resolve to get the car somewhere else, or not at all.

FYI, my order process thus far involved configuring a car (with the understanding that I can change that configuration as much as I want until the lock date) and a text string outlining the likely timing (late 2022) and price (MSRP, with $5000 payable at the time the reservation is locked in). Don't know if that'll be enough to avoid an opportunistic ADM but I hope so. The SA seems to have been upfront with me at least - he's not sure I can get the car given the phase out of the current Cayman model lineup, but that he's going to try. I ended up putting in a second reservation for a more expensive Carrera S in a 7spd manual transmission - a car that will take even longer but at least I'll get it someday.
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top