Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sounds like they wanted as little written evidence of a price discussion as possible just so they could tack on some pure dealer profit, which is frustrating. I've been wondering if my dealer may try to do the same thing, though we have a more thorough record of written communication on the subject of price (I can't help it - I'm a lawyer). How are you optioning the car out? That might qualify as leverage since the next guy they sell the reservation to may elect to get a more barebones model? You might also float the idea of a "relationship" interest (e.g., I'll buy my next Porsche from you?). If it were me, I'd tell 'em to go fuck themselves and resolve to get the car somewhere else, or not at all.

FYI, my order process thus far involved configuring a car (with the understanding that I can change that configuration as much as I want until the lock date) and a text string outlining the likely timing (late 2022) and price (MSRP, with $5000 payable at the time the reservation is locked in). Don't know if that'll be enough to avoid an opportunistic ADM but I hope so. The SA seems to have been upfront with me at least - he's not sure I can get the car given the phase out of the current Cayman model lineup, but that he's going to try. I ended up putting in a second reservation for a more expensive Carrera S in a 7spd manual transmission - a car that will take even longer but at least I'll get it someday.
Sounds like you're going about it the right way. I should have insisted on more written communication. The more I hear about how other dealers/SAs handle this stuff the more comfortable I get with walking away from this one.

As far as speccing it out, I was going for a fairly lightly optioned build. I asked my SA if perhaps speccing it up with a few of the splurge options might get them to bring down their ADM, thinking that this way I would at least get something for my extra money. He pretty much said no way, the ADM doesn't move off of $15K (after previously suggesting there is some wiggle room).

The most frustrating thing about this is that they know not only that have we bought many cars from them in the past, but that there are almost certainly going to be more Porsches coming for us in the future. I just figured they would show some loyalty in return for us having continued to buy through them rather than just calling around to find the dealer that would give us the best price every time we wanted to order a car. Guess not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like you're going about it the right way. I should have insisted on more written communication. The more I hear about how other dealers/SAs handle this stuff the more comfortable I get with walking away from this one.

As far as speccing it out, I was going for a fairly lightly optioned build. I asked my SA if perhaps speccing it up with a few of the splurge options might get them to bring down their ADM, thinking that this way I would at least get something for my extra money. He pretty much said no way, the ADM doesn't move off of $15K (after previously suggesting there is some wiggle room).

The most frustrating thing about this is that they know not only that have we bought many cars from them in the past, but that there are almost certainly going to be more Porsches coming for us in the future. I just figured they would show some loyalty in return for us having continued to buy through them rather than just calling around to find the dealer that would give us the best price every time we wanted to order a car. Guess not.
Wait, you're a repeat customer and they are treating you like this? Walk away from these jerks. This is a car - a fun car. And these assholes are sucking the fun right out of it with their profiteering bullshit. Worse, it sounds like your every effort to talk it down is emboldening them to hold fast. So tell 'em where they can put their greedy nonsense and go somewhere else. Getting the car under these circumstances is worse than not getting the car at all. I'd rather put that $15K towards a dream 911 I'll get in 2 years than a Cayman that may or may not disappear by 2023.

Seriously, fuck those people. They don't deserve your business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thought I would chime in here. I am exploring this market some and had some spare time to visit the Manhattan Motor Cars dealership in NYC last week. Very pleasant and all, but once I was able to pin them down on pricing policy I was amazed to hear that they charge a 25% ADM on the GTS. Thanks, but no thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thought I would chime in here. I am exploring this market some and had some spare time to visit the Manhattan Motor Cars dealership in NYC last week. Very pleasant and all, but once I was able to pin them down on pricing policy I was amazed to hear that they charge a 25% ADM on the GTS. Thanks, but no thanks.
25% is a different level of crazy, but then again, it is Manhattan. I went to law school there and practiced there briefly, and one of the things that drove me off the island was the obscene expense of everything -you just get up-charged gratuitously for everything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
25% is a different level of crazy, but then again, it is Manhattan. I went to law school there and practiced there briefly, and one of the things that drove me off the island was the obscene expense of everything -you just get up-charged gratuitously for everything.
Reading these posts makes me realize how lucky I was to find a dealership and a SA that was very upfront with the situation. I went into the dealership in November expecting to place an order on a Cayman GTS 4. The SA explained to me I would probably never get the car but he did have 1 allocation for a S. He was able to convince me the merits of the car so I grabbed it(we won’t mention engine noise) To arrive at a price we just went to the configurator. No extra up charge. Order was confirmed the following week with a delivery in June. Easiest car I ever purchased not mentioning the wait, however things could still go sideways.
I was in to my dealer this week to add to my build. My SA told me they were told by Porsche not to expect any more 718 builds this year so my S was one of only 8 (718 builds) they will get for 2022. With that few cars to sell I can see why the dealerships are trying to maximize their profits. My advice for anyone on a list is to take what you can get or be prepared for a long wait. FYI they didn’t receive any GTS allocations.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also lucky here in El Paso , so far. My SA showed me the local dealer policy which is MSRP for local purchase and 15k adm for out of Towners. Suspect that has to do with being a relatively new dealer and trying to grow the market here. Especially the service market as they are likely to make it back considering what they charge for oil changes etc. If my boxster arrives and they ask for adm at that point I'd likely walk away.

Have 2500 down and a printed build sheet with prices signed. Still holding my breath. Feeling fortunate so far... May 20 is estimate.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
968 Posts
$15k ADM is ridic. $25k is just stupid.

They offered my pal $10k ADM for a GT4, and he got it down to $5k. That is tolerable, despite having bought a 986 used, 987 used, and a new Macan all from the same dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had my local dealer spring a $15K ADM on me after 6 months on the waiting list for a CGTS allocation just as I apparently moved to #1 on their list. I understand the economics of it from the dealer's perspective - and it doesn't really seem like $15K in this market is even all that unusual - but the principle of it is really frustrating to me when they knew these conditions existed (and would continue) at the time I gave them the deposit, yet they claimed until now that they would do MSRP.

So I guess I'm going to start looking around for dealers that will play ball at or around MSRP - I have to imagine there are at least a handful in the US that aren't asking $15K over right now. Anyone have any suggestions of dealerships I could get in contact with? Thanks!
I recently shopped for a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 (factory order) in the following states: MI, OH, PA, IN and NY. All the dealerships quoted (via email) MSRP (plus tax, plates, registration, title and the Doc fee) - no ADM's. The issue is no dealer has an allocation currently - best estimate that I received for an allocation is July. I'm on waiting lists at several dealerships in several states (some required a $1.0K refundable deposit) for an allocation. ALSO, NY dealerships would not sell to out-of-state residents.
I would suggest contacting some Midwest dealers and see what they have to say. FYI, I had several Midwest dealers tell me they have California customers on their waiting lists because of ADM's being charged on the west coast - don't know if it's true or just dealer propaganda.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I recently shopped for a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 (factory order) in the following states: MI, OH, PA, IN and NY. All the dealerships quoted (via email) MSRP (plus tax, plates, registration, title and the Doc fee) - no ADM's. The issue is no dealer has an allocation currently - best estimate that I received for an allocation is July. I'm on waiting lists at several dealerships in several states (some required a $1.0K refundable deposit) for an allocation. ALSO, NY dealerships would not sell to out-of-state residents.
I would suggest contacting some Midwest dealers and see what they have to say. FYI, I had several Midwest dealers tell me they have California customers on their waiting lists because of ADM's being charged on the west coast - don't know if it's true or just dealer propaganda.
Given what our forum members have been saying, that's probably true and not propaganda.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
Well that was my experience also. Dealers who don’t have allocations in hand are willing to say MSRP or maybe something mild for a GT4/Spyder (you have to buy our ceramic whatever), but then you get no real commitment on timing. Dealers who have a modifiable order in hand with a specific build week are more aggressive on ADM, but you know you have a build date. That’s pretty much the tradeoff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well that was my experience also. Dealers who don’t have allocations in hand are willing to say MSRP or maybe something mild for a GT4/Spyder (you have to buy our ceramic whatever), but then you get no real commitment on timing. Dealers who have a modifiable order in hand with a specific build week are more aggressive on ADM, but you know you have a build date. That’s pretty much the tradeoff.
Count me as one of those with a deposit at a dealer that says MSRP, but also says I may not see a slot until 2023/4. This all seems so much like the Rolex AD situation. You may pay up on the secondary market or sit and spin hoping to obtain a slot in what you think is a legit way. I'm told I have 3 ahead of me for a GTS build slot. I don't have the desire to pay up at this point and may consider another type of car eventually, but I am curious if anyone has a better handle on the variables at play here, namely:
  • Do all the 190 some odd dealers in the US get an equal distribution of slots for models?
  • If not, how do they alter this? Historic volume numbers? Other variables?
  • Certainly only a small percentage of builds are destined for US shores, does Porsche modify this at all based upon relative demand?
  • Finally, what about production? Is there any possibility that they will be able to ramp up production as the pandemic eases, or (like Rolex) are they OK with having scarcity in the marketplace?
I admit my ignorance on how all of this works, but any insights would be appreciated.

Am I pissing in the wind thinking I may actually get a slot at my local dealer?

TIA

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,277 Posts
  1. Do all the 190 some odd dealers in the US get an equal distribution of slots for models?
  2. If not, how do they alter this? Historic volume numbers? Other variables?
  3. Certainly only a small percentage of builds are destined for US shores, does Porsche modify this at all based upon relative demand?
  4. Finally, what about production? Is there any possibility that they will be able to ramp up production as the pandemic eases, or (like Rolex) are they OK with having scarcity in the marketplace?

1. No.
  2. Only Porsche knows. Big high volume dealers will get more allocations. Dealers that do things like sponsor a Porsche racing team will get extra, especially the GT cars
  3. Who knows? I don't think demand in the US is markedly higher than elsewhere. There are typically zero 718's and 911's on Canadian dealer lots.
  4. No. They are going full tilt with the available facilities. Don't forget, there are significant shortages of some materials (like chips). All car manufacturers are feeling the pinch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Count me as one of those with a deposit at a dealer that says MSRP, but also says I may not see a slot until 2023/4. This all seems so much like the Rolex AD situation. You may pay up on the secondary market or sit and spin hoping to obtain a slot in what you think is a legit way. I'm told I have 3 ahead of me for a GTS build slot. I don't have the desire to pay up at this point and may consider another type of car eventually, but I am curious if anyone has a better handle on the variables at play here, namely:
  • Do all the 190 some odd dealers in the US get an equal distribution of slots for models?
  • If not, how do they alter this? Historic volume numbers? Other variables?
  • Certainly only a small percentage of builds are destined for US shores, does Porsche modify this at all based upon relative demand?
  • Finally, what about production? Is there any possibility that they will be able to ramp up production as the pandemic eases, or (like Rolex) are they OK with having scarcity in the marketplace?
I admit my ignorance on how all of this works, but any insights would be appreciated.

Am I pissing in the wind thinking I may actually get a slot at my local dealer?

TIA
I’m doing a lot better at my Rolex AD than my Porsche AD in terms of getting ahold of hot inventory at retail price. That said, my dealer told me I’m 6th in line but there’s no guarantee it’ll happen this year. Ok by me. I’m not paying above retail. Makes me feel like a chump. Hopefully I’ll get something in a year that matches mine or my wife’s watch. :)
Watch Hand Arm Finger Thumb

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,277 Posts
I’m doing a lot better at my Rolex AD than my Porsche AD in terms of getting ahold of hot inventory at retail price. That said, my dealer told me I’m 6th in line but there’s no guarantee it’ll happen this year. Ok by me. I’m not paying above retail. Makes me feel like a chump. Hopefully I’ll get something in a year that matches mine or my wife’s watch. :)
Nice trio, but you don't have the turquoise OP! I think the 41 is now going for close to $40K USD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
looking to collect them all! Or at least all the lacquer dials - the black, metallic blue, and silver OPs are snoozers to me.
I know it's off topic now, but I believe the brand is way over-valued. Even at retail, I wouldn't buy the OP. Omega Constellation Globemasteris a much better piece imho. I want to look good in my Spark.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I know it's off topic now, but I believe the brand is way over-valued. Even at retail, I wouldn't buy the OP. Omega Constellation Globemasteris a much better piece imho. I want to look good in my Spark.
We need an OT watch thread or something. I didn't want to comment on this because of not wanting to take it off-topic. I bet a bunch of us are really into watches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not over-valued at retail IMO... $6K isn't bad for a watch as thin and durable as an OP. Now at $40K for a turquoise or $20K for an orange, yeah they're overvalued. Thing is, I doubt I'll ever have to re-sell my OP41s for less than what I paid for them - a nice perk you don't get with most Omegas.

As to Omega, I have much respect for the brand - my wife and I own a few. But the Constellation Globemaster does nothing for me, especially with those knurled/fluted bezels. Not my style.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts