Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for user experiences but didn’t find any good/relevant results. Plenty of results for regular tunes on the 2.5T.

Anyone here have the APR Plus tune on their base 2.0 Cayman or Boxster? I am tempted to pull the trigger and like the idea of maintaining a warranty but would like to know if the results are worth it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT
7 Posts
I am temped to too, I haven't found much online as far as user experiences either for the base 2.0. I did a ton of research on tunes, APR does seem like the way to go for the base. They seem to really take their R&D seriously and understand how Porsche sets up their cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the trigger on their stage 1 93 octane tune. The guys at the shop I go to are an authorized dealer for APR and they had nothing but great things (obviously) to say about it.

Plus my local Porsche service advisor seems pretty cool with mods and said they only had 1 911 turbo come in with a blown engine that was tuned, and who knows how that person drove it. So I’m pretty confident the car will be fine.

Oh and the tune is great. Only had it since Friday and at first, to be honest, I was disappointed. I didn’t notice much of an improvement, I was expecting more. But, after 100 or so miles the car must have “adapted” or recalibrated and it definitely feels quicker in the mid RPM range, which is where I felt the base model was lacking. I hit a high speed faster than I did previously so it is for sure quicker I have to take out my Dragy and time it.

The engine actually sounds smoother, more refined, and healthier for some reason. Not sure what APR did but maybe they actually improved it over stock? Who knows.

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT
7 Posts
Oh nice, thanks for sharing that! APR claims they better utilize the sensors and safety built into these cars. I will have to get a APR tune in the future.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have to say that the APR throttle mapping is such that you don't really feel the additional power until you are at large throttle openings. I have tuned other cars that really woke up at lighter throttles that you use more commonly for round town driving and the tune was much more noticable because ot that. So I was a little dissappointed at first also as I first drove it around town... but once you get into it, you really notice it. I actually quite like it now, as I have driven mine on some technical mountain roads, and the throttle control is fantastic for that. I dyno'd mine (2.5L S) before and after and my results closely matched the APR claimed results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say that the APR throttle mapping is such that you don't really feel the additional power until you are at large throttle openings. I have tuned other cars that really woke up at lighter throttles that you use more commonly for round town driving and the tune was much more noticable because ot that. So I was a little dissappointed at first also as I first drove it around town... but once you get into it, you really notice it. I actually quite like it now, as I have driven mine on some technical mountain roads, and the throttle control is fantastic for that. I dyno'd mine (2.5L S) before and after and my results closely matched the APR claimed results.
Now that you mention it, the throttle mapping you described is almost exactly like how I first noticed it. I can’t wait to try it on the track this coming Sunday.

Good to know your dyno results were similar to their claims. That’s good positive reinforcement of how I now feel about it because at first I was wondering if the tune I got was as powerful as they claim.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman T
37 Posts
Following up on this thread to stay updated - Just requested a quote for the tune + exhaust from my local dealer. Will let ya'll know if I pull the trigger!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. I’m curious to know what exhaust you are looking at getting. I have the PSE exhaust so it’s not bad but I may want something a little louder :p

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman T
37 Posts
Welllllll couldn't wait. Had the 93 tune loaded yesterday and am glad I didn't! Not much seat time yet but very happy so far. We will see what transpires on the exhaust, too.

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
20 Posts
Off the batt, I am looking at the APR with one muffler and 1 valve..
I have a brand new never used single muffler (Left hand side) for the APR system that I am selling if you are interested. I paid $399 new, I would sell for $300 shipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts