Porsche 718 Forum banner

361 - 380 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
@pps718gtscayman not saying you're wrong, you may be absolutely correct, but I did some digging and unfortunately, it seems that they can be related. I currently can count in my hands the number of folks who blew their coilpacks 1-2 weeks after a tune. And I personally know two that had these type of related issue. Thus some folks had to upgrade them. Because there aren't many 'sample sizes' within the porsche community this may not be prevalent. I wonder how difficult it is to reach the coilpacks on these cars. Going to open up a thread. This type of stuff is important to call out. No tuners / tuning are perfect, but they can only get better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Coil packs on bank 3/4 had old Porsche part numbers on them. These are the two that failed. Bank 1/2 had the new version from Porsche already installed with the new revised part number fully visible and made in turkey. I saved bank 1/2 for spares. It’s super easy to replace them and the dealer printed the instructions for me to follow. Apr tune is not the problem.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Coil packs on bank 3/4 had old Porsche part numbers on them. These are the two that failed. Bank 1/2 had the new version from Porsche already installed with the new revised part number fully visible and made in turkey. I saved bank 1/2 for spares. It’s super easy to replace them and the dealer printed the instructions for me to follow. Apr tune is not the problem.
It may not be directly related but may have exasperated the ones with the older revision of your coil pack. Anyway, if you can, help the community out by reporting in if you have any more failures or issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
48k miles and no further problems. The coils first failed during a rain storm at @45k miles. The failure was PSM fault and ECU control unit failure missfire on bank 3/4. Bank 3/4 gets more water spray due to the small heat shield. Bank 1/2 is fully blocked by the exhaust and heat shield. I suspect bank 1/2 was updated due to increased heat and Porsche was just being cheap ass’s like normal not replacing the other side. I have stopped going to Porsche for maintenance. They charged me 1600 to do my spark plugs at 30 k. It took me 4 hours and now I know it was done correctly. On bank one I had to remove the Fabspeed exhaust because it was in the way. 3 inch all the way back eliminating crossover and it makes oil changes easier. APr tune is awesome. They just need a handheld programmer like COBB, so I can install 100 Sunoco gr tune and smoke gt3’s. Any of you guys in AZ, CA, NV I can meet ya for cars and coffee after this corona crap is over. I’ll show ya the tune and exhaust.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
48k miles and no further problems. The coils first failed during a rain storm at @45k miles. The failure was PSM fault and ECU control unit failure missfire on bank 3/4. Bank 3/4 gets more water spray due to the small heat shield. Bank 1/2 is fully blocked by the exhaust and heat shield. I suspect bank 1/2 was updated due to increased heat and Porsche was just being cheap ass’s like normal not replacing the other side. I have stopped going to Porsche for maintenance. They charged me 1600 to do my spark plugs at 30 k. It took me 4 hours and now I know it was done correctly. On bank one I had to remove the Fabspeed exhaust because it was in the way. 3 inch all the way back eliminating crossover and it makes oil changes easier. APr tune is awesome. They just need a handheld programmer like COBB, so I can install 100 Sunoco gr tune and smoke gt3’s. Any of you guys in AZ, CA, NV I can meet ya for cars and coffee after this corona crap is over. I’ll show ya the tune and exhaust.
just drive here.... its supposed to snow on friday 😩

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Nice! What exhaust? Almost sounds like a V8 more so than a subie.
Granted this was my video it show how the Master Blaster worked, it does have a cold start of my car after the tune. My other exhaust video was preTune. The setup is SOUL 200 cell down pipe connected to the factory PSE, SOUL X-pipe and the APR tune. The exhaust was amazing on its own, but the tune really woke it up in the sound department. Note my camera shaking from sound pressure when the car is in the garage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Granted this was my video it show how the Master Blaster worked, it does have a cold start of my car after the tune. My other exhaust video was preTune. The setup is SOUL 200 cell down pipe connected to the factory PSE, SOUL X-pipe and the APR tune. The exhaust was amazing on its own, but the tune really woke it up in the sound department. Note my camera shaking from sound pressure when the car is in the garage.

My sports exhaust started to rattle at 30 k miss and Porsche ignored it so now I don’t have mufflers. Just 3 inch all the way back. Yes the PSE sounds great with the soul. I was going to get the SS soul tips and down pipe too, but Fabspeed removes heat from behind the engine and frees up space for oil changes. That’s why I did the supercup.

361 - 380 of 443 Posts