Porsche 718 Forum banner

461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tried Softronics?
The only other tune I've tried is the Burger Motorsports JB4 on my BMW 335, but it was super early in the development of that product. However, I was happy with the results and it was reliable. I've not heard of engine issues from users about the JB4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everybody! I have a 2.0 718 Base Boxster and can't go to a tuner (don't have any where I live) and I need decide between APR or COBB. I know that you discuss so much among this forum the benefits of each tune. My question is simple and I apologize if you already answered this, but is difficult to read all the posts of the forum (unleast they are very rich): is it possible to flash my ECU with APR tune in my garage only by OBD port without ECU Removal or a local pro-tuner or dealer help ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everybody! I have a 2.0 718 Base Boxster and can't go to a tuner (don't have any where I live) and I need decide between APR or COBB. I know that you discuss so much among this forum the benefits of each tune. My question is simple and I apologize if you already answered this, but is difficult to read all the posts of the forum (unleast they are very rich): is it possible to flash my ECU with APR tune in my garage only by OBD port without ECU Removal or a local pro-tuner or dealer help ?
(Like I think is possible with COBB Access Port- please confirm if I'm right ;))

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not right now. You have to bring it into a shop to have done. In my case, they still had to pull the ECU and ship it off to APR to bench flash it due to the particular version, but I don't think anyone else has reported that on here. They reportedly may have the home ODB2 flash in the near future though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, how I live in another country and will come back next month, I think my unique option is to purchase a COBB Accessport here in USA and upload the tune in my garage by OBD port.
I will ask for more details in the sspecific COBB area in this forum.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe Cobb is your only option as APR requires a dealer to flash.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is a topic "Cobb or APR" that is very fresh listed under Turbo and Tuning. With only six posts I really wonder why you decided to post this question on the APR topic- and conveniently answer that Cobb must be the only way to satisfy you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a topic "Cobb or APR" that is very fresh listed under Turbo and Tuning. With only six posts I really wonder why you decided to post this question on the APR topic- and conveniently answer that Cobb must be the only way to satisfy you.
Maybe you didn't read everything I wrote. I started by apologizing if my doubt was already answered among this forum. At first I wasn't sure that COBB was the only way to satisfy me.
After MotorRover (thanks) explained it here then I wrote only in the specific "COBB accessport without ECU Removel" topic, as you can confirm there. I hope now you understand (and became wonder)
Thanks for your concern and help

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is there anyone here who has had a 2017 MY APR tune? I noted in one thread that an early 718 could not be tuned via the OBD and had to have the ECU removed and sent to APR. I have a Dec 2016 build. Any others in with a car built in the time frame had their car tuned successfully via the OBD? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there anyone here who has had a 2017 MY APR tune? I noted in one thread that an early 718 could not be tuned via the OBD and had to have the ECU removed and sent to APR. I have a Dec 2016 build. Any others in with a car built in the time frame had their car tuned successfully via the OBD? Thanks.
I think it applies to all 718s they are all the same in that sense you care. Same SDI21 ECU and the same software. So you should not eject your ECU anymore for most of known tuner providers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was 2 times at a local APR Tuner. First he told me no problem at all just come and he flash it instantly. So i drove 120km to get my 2016 2.0l Boxster tuned. But after an hour waiting and watching him on the phone he told me that APR has to write a special checksum for my ECU. I drove home and was told it will last 2-3 days to recive the data from US. He will call me... wonder... no call...

After 2 weeke several unanswered emails i got him on phone and he told me that he need to plug in my ECU once more to send some datas to APR again.... so i drove the 120km again and was told to wait 7 days to come back for the flash.
Since that day i was not able to contact the dealer. No answers on emails and ghosting on the phone.
I hope he is fine. But overall i am VERY disapointed about that "service"

... sad.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was 2 times at a local APR Tuner. First he told me no problem at all just come and he flash it instantly. So i drove 120km to get my 2016 2.0l Boxster tuned. But after an hour waiting and watching him on the phone he told me that APR has to write a special checksum for my ECU. I drove home and was told it will last 2-3 days to recive the data from US. He will call me... wonder... no call...

After 2 weeke several unanswered emails i got him on phone and he told me that he need to plug in my ECU once more to send some datas to APR again.... so i drove the 120km again and was told to wait 7 days to come back for the flash.
Since that day i was not able to contact the dealer. No answers on emails and ghosting on the phone.

... sad.
The best you can do is to use as VAG com cable and check your ECU revision.
Then you send it to APR themself, if they dont have that revision they will make one.

The Swedish/Danish APR dealer gave me bad vibes (same behavior as yours) but since i got thumbs up from APR i went well.

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts

... sad.
I think you should make this 'service' known to APR. I doubt if they would be pleased to hear about it—it's costing them money!

·
Registered
40 Posts
For the moment i am busy at work and have no time for the "useless" things... I just wait for the APR mobile Flasher. Maybe i upgrade to a 2.5 GTS but with that corona thing in the back, all that things seem to be not necessary to go on.

461 - 477 of 477 Posts