Porsche 718 Forum banner

521 - 540 of 547 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
This whole conversation is premised on hiding the fact that you have a tune. You want to play... be prepared to pay! Would anyone, if you owned Porsche, cover modified vehicles? I’m betting on NO!

APR+ = mild tune with and has a higher cost to cover the warranty. Calling out modifying or track use is not APR... it’s the insurance company.

I’m happy with my APR tune, but now that I’ve called out the Hypocrisy my car will probably blow up and I’ll want it covered 🤪

·
Registered
412 Posts
Now that more people have this tune, can you provide any feedback on the power delivery but also the throttle response? Some were complaining that it's less responsive. For a turbo car, I really enjoy the stock throttle response level. It's very close to NA like and don't want to lose that feature. Foot off the gas, then back on, it's instant go!

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
75 Posts
Now that more people have this tune, can you provide any feedback on the power delivery but also the throttle response? Some were complaining that it's less responsive. For a turbo car, I really enjoy the stock throttle response level. It's very close to NA like and don't want to lose that feature. Foot off the gas, then back on, it's instant go!
I haven’t tuned mine yet but I feel my gts is laggy in all but sport plus. But it’s basically building 1psi all the time in that mode and probably more wear and tear on the turbo. Idk.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I haven’t tuned mine yet but I feel my gts is laggy in all but sport plus. But it’s basically building 1psi all the time in that mode and probably more wear and tear on the turbo. Idk.
Really? I actually feel that the throttle is more responsive in Sport mode vs sport plus and normal.

also to be clear I’m not talking about turbo lag but the split second it takes from throttle input to car moving or actual throttle valve opening up. It’s not like the days of old where you can tighten the throttle cable for better response. I’d hate to get something like this (Pedal Commander PC09 Bluetooth (Porsche Boxster/Cayman) ) to make up for the lag in throttle response that may be inherent to apr tune.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What I wonder, is if the difference is the power is significantly higher, the part throttle may seem soft in comparison, when in reality it would be similar to the stocks response. Also, there are different modes, so make sure they are specific to sport or sport +.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What I wonder, is if the difference is the power is significantly higher, the part throttle may seem soft in comparison, when in reality it would be similar to the stocks response. Also, there are different modes, so make sure they are specific to sport or sport +.
I’ve been in many tuned cars in the past 20+ years, some of which I tuned myself for the simple ones like AEM standalone or some tuned by others like unitronics or apr, and actually felt better throttle response than stock.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have APR tune on a Audi B8.5 (2.0T that weighs >1600kg) and the throttle response is much better than stock. The car was transformed and is a much nicer car with the APR tune. It actually feels more muscular in its performance than my 718S stock with a bigger mid range (but probably less top end). I was hoping the APR 718 tune would be similar.

On that note... I have never seen (in just a few months) over 10psi on my 718S (winter around 15-20C at sea level). Seems like there is a lot of potential for some extra boost.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have APR tune on a Audi B8.5 (2.0T that weighs >1600kg) and the throttle response is much better than stock. The car was transformed and is a much nicer car with the APR tune. It actually feels more muscular in its performance than my 718S stock with a bigger mid range (but probably less top end). I was hoping the APR 718 tune would be similar.

On that note... I have never seen (in just a few months) over 10psi on my 718S (winter around 15-20C at sea level). Seems like there is a lot of potential for some extra boost.
Yes that is exactly the expectation I had with 718 as well. Maybe apr tried a little too hard with making 718 tune more linear and sacrificed throttle response with it.
Your B8.5 feels “muscular” due to the considerably faster turbo spoil on the smaller turbo. I felt that with my old Audi S3 vs the laggier RS3. But after 4K rpm, that RS3 left my face at the starting line.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looking at all the tuned dyno curves, it seems the turbo is not that large (on 2.5L). It seems it is pretty flow limitted and only has about 50hp more flow than stock. With the VGT turbo, I would have thought it would match the low boost of the Audi.... but I think the flat 4 layout is inherently more laggy due to much larger exhaust manifold, and maybe the VGT only partially compensates for that. My Audi picked up around 60hp so the turbo was not that small. Probably equivalently sized for a 2.0L.

I agree with your take on APR maybe trying to make it drive more linear. I think I would be fine with that, but it would be good if they had map options for their more normal approach which is for that muscular feel of getting full boost at smaller pedal positions. For me with SC, my preference would be Normal mode is essentially stock (someone drives the car and it feels like a stock car). S mode is full power with high boost at low pedal position (like my Audi which is great for daily driving being effortlessly fast). S+ is full power with the antilag feature but with linear throttle response (good for motorsports where you need good control of chassis balance).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looking at all the tuned dyno curves, it seems the turbo is not that large (on 2.5L). It seems it is pretty flow limitted and only has about 50hp more flow than stock. With the VGT turbo, I would have thought it would match the low boost of the Audi.... but I think the flat 4 layout is inherently more laggy due to much larger exhaust manifold, and maybe the VGT only partially compensates for that. My Audi picked up around 60hp so the turbo was not that small. Probably equivalently sized for a 2.0L.

I agree with your take on APR maybe trying to make it drive more linear. I think I would be fine with that, but it would be good if they had map options for their more normal approach which is for that muscular feel of getting full boost at smaller pedal positions. For me with SC, my preference would be Normal mode is essentially stock (someone drives the car and it feels like a stock car). S mode is full power with high boost at low pedal position (like my Audi which is great for daily driving being effortlessly fast). S+ is full power with the antilag feature but with linear throttle response (good for motorsports where you need good control of chassis balance).
The K04 turbo on your Audi is actually quite small I think around 50 mm Cold side whereas the GTS is 67mm.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah, but my Audi is 2.0L. So on a 2.5L the equivalent turbo for engine size is larger. Also, it comes a lot down to hot side. VGT should some a long way to making a larger hot side seem smaller at low RPM.

I have had considerable changes in spool in my WRX just changing the exhaust housing size with the same turbine and cold side. Smaller housing hits hard at 3200RPM. Larger housing comes in softer around 3700 but has 50hp more at peak power. This is on a WRX with around 500hp (with larger housing). I prefer the small housing for motorkhana which is most of what I do, but the larger housing is heaps better on circuit.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Apr decided that three modes should be different,
Normal not full boost for dd, cruising (more linear throttle mapping-better economy)
Sport, full boost but no pre boost and a slightly more linear throttle map compared to stock (less wheel spin)
Sport+, full boost, alot of pre boost and adjusted throttle map.

Pic below shows how the turbo follows the throttle, zero lag

I am totaly in love with the design and i use the mode switch more then ever :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Apr decided that three modes should be different,
Normal not full boost for dd, cruising (more linear throttle mapping-better economy)
Sport, full boost but no pre boost and a slightly more linear throttle map compared to stock (less wheel spin)
Sport+, full boost, alot of pre boost and adjusted throttle map.

Pic below shows how the turbo follows the throttle, zero lag
View attachment 28082

I am totaly in love with the design and i use the mode switch more then ever :)
Thanks for sharing! Which app is that?

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Not that I've seen—but C & D, in the 2017 base model Boxster, did a 60 to 120mph (say 96-->193kph) in 10.6 seconds during the acceleration run.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I only have BGTS, 9sec before a d 7.3 after
The times above for the base should be close for 100-200.
Might ad 0 2 sec

·
Registered
14 Posts
I only have BGTS, 9sec before a d 7.3 after
The times above for the base should be close for 100-200.
Might ad 0 2 sec
Am I understood right, that the stock 718 Boxster GTS 100-200 time was 9 sec and after APR tune it is 7.3 sec? What is the fuel and outside temp? Really interested in the numbers.

521 - 540 of 547 Posts