Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tossing one out there to see how everyone feels about the topic. Are 718 owners generally fans of the burbles, pops and overrun sound that is easily created by these motors (especially TURBOS)? I mean...would you purchase an exhaust or tune in efforts to amplify that or do you think its overkill? Kinda wild that it comes from the factory this way...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love it.

Would absolutely buy an exhaust to amplify it, but also want to leverage the PSE button for a quiet mode (taking calls, date night, leaving home early in the morning, etc) - also want to avoid droning as that becomes tiresome really quickly.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If I hadn't gotten Sport Chrono, to turn it off with Sport+ mode, I'd have killed myself some time ago. It's plenty loud in Sport mode - I would never want to augment that. When I'm pushing, I can find that noise a distracting hazard. I'm inclined to characterize it as juvenile, more so because it's largely synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
When I first got the car I found the pops annoying. I liked the slightly louder exhaust from Sport and the gurgles are fine, but the pops—blah.
I seem to have gotten used to them now (3 years on) but I'm sure I wouldn't miss them if they disappeared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Big fan. When I drove it off the lot, mine had a fantastic gurgle as I initially maneuvered in Houston traffic. My husband and I looked at each other with big smiles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My most recent three cars...a Golf R Mk7.5, an Audi RS3 and now a base 2020 Cayman went from the Golf having a few pops and farts that was acceptable to me ( you had to feed it the beans to get the resultant noise ) to the RS3 that was a bit over the top ( about my only negative for the car...it was overly noisy when fed the beans and even starting it sometimes gave people close to it a fright ) to the Cayman that I find just right in Sport mode ( no Sport Chrono option ) and nice and quiet in normal drive mode...perfect for me, but that is only my opinion, others may have different ideas, as I read above. Whilst some exhaust noise is part of the overall " package " , I think I've found the happy medium in the Cayman.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I like them, but really don't need more of it, especially with the APR tune. I've got a manual with no SC, so its Sport or Normal modes and that's it. I like the idea of a louder exhaust in general, but no need for more pops and bangs. I do like the planned APR exhaust concept where it is valved and you can run it straight piped or add one or two mufflers as desired.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Bring it! I have the soundaktor fuse pulled because I can’t stand the percussion effect it causes in the cabin, but having more sound from the actual exhaust... yes please! No drone though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
With Sport Chrono I feel I can control the gurgles and pops as needed. I upgraded my exhaust and couldn't be happier to have more of the good noises when you push the go pedal. It's not overly obnoxious, but it sounds like business.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm with many on here that find them overkill. My previous car generated pops and burbles etc but in a way that seemed natural and certainly not excessive - they were a pleasant surprise when they did happen. Whereas they are too forced and unnatural on current Porsches'. As a result I tend to spend most of my time in O/Normal or Sport Plus.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In general I prefer less exhaust noise. Don't need to call attention to myself when pushing the car harder. Don't need to pretend I'm driving VIR when I'm on the street.

Pops and gurgles? I don't mind them but don't need more. I've been told they only happen when I'm letting off the loud pedal. What? You mean I'm supposed to let off the loud pedal every so often? I had no idea...

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
394 Posts
I love the pops and burbles. My catless and chipped 944 Turbo had a similar sound and I loved it! Like some others here, I'd like louder in Sport but the same decibel level as today in base mode.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Now - overall exhaust volume? I could definitely go for more. I can barely hear the exhaust while I'm driving (top down; PSE on, or Sport, or whatever the **** its mode is called). I'd definitely like it louder. But not the (fake) pops, bangs, and gurgles.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts