Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
When you "uncork" a turbo you do get burble noises, particually with aggressive tunes. My old 944 turbo was a perfect example. So part of the 718 burbles are real, and part are fake (accentuated).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am old and always believed a muffler was installed to make a car quiet. Pops and gurgles from the exhaust are kind of childish. I am more concerned how a car drives than what it sounds like.

I also do not understand the comments about the sound of a flat 6 compared to a turbo flat 4. Personally I always liked the sound of a Subaru.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When you "uncork" a turbo you do get burble noises, particually with aggressive tunes. My old 944 turbo was a perfect example. So part of the 718 burbles are real, and part are fake (accentuated).
In the olden days, burbles and pops were a result of fuel ignition in the exhaust tract due to aggressive non-variable cam timing. These cars have everything controlled electronically. The pops are only there because they were designed to be there.
From another thread currently running, and as written by C&D:
"To maintain responsiveness even when the driver lifts off the gas, Porsche briefly leaves the throttle open while retarding the timing, cutting fuel, and shutting the wastegate, essentially pumping air through to the turbo to keep it spinning; get back on the gas quickly, and the turbo’s already in play—no waiting for it to spool up.
In the “Sport” drive mode (the middle option on cars with the Sport Chrono package), the programming is less aggressive in cutting fuel, allowing for “emotional” exhaust pops and burbles on overrun. In Sport Plus mode, the programming prioritizes airflow to the turbo, leaving the exhaust relatively subdued on overrun."
FWIW & MOO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Obviously it's a personal preference. personally, i love them. makes the car sound snarly and mean, and accents the low grunty boxer 4 exhaust note well. The question no one seems to be asking is why are we being asked this? what do you guys at fabspeed have in mind? just an exhaust or a tune of some kind as well?

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Obviously it's a personal preference. personally, i love them. makes the car sound snarly and mean, and accents the low grunty boxer 4 exhaust note well. The question no one seems to be asking is why are we being asked this? what do you guys at fabspeed have in mind? just an exhaust or a tune of some kind as well?
We are always gauging Porsche owners to see how they feel about certain things. We have taken a few calls lately from folks wondering if this sound can be "tuned out" of the car. Naturally we wonder...is this something that people really want as part of a tune...or just a one off request..hmmm

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We are always gauging Porsche owners to see how they feel about certain things. We have taken a few calls lately from folks wondering if this sound can be "tuned out" of the car. Naturally we wonder...is this something that people really want as part of a tune...or just a one off request..hmmm

·
Registered
282 Posts
I actually think more people would be interested in a tune that removed/reduced the burbles.
Is there any evidence at all to support that?
i suspect a lot of people buy it ‘because’ it sounds that way, i certainly did . . .

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is there any evidence at all to support that?
i suspect a lot of people buy it ‘because’ it sounds that way, i certainly did . . .
A number of us on this thread have already expressed a dislike for the artificial pops, bangs and burbles. I think most sports car manufacturers have gone too far in this direction, as a result I rarely drive my car in Sport mode. I can think of two recent examples that highlight this trend (1) a luxury SUV went past me that was burbling and popping like a mad machine (I think it was a Jag) and (2) last week while out for a walk a Tesla drove by that was doing the same thing!!!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Just tossing one out there to see how everyone feels about the topic. Are 718 owners generally fans of the burbles, pops and overrun sound that is easily created by these motors (especially TURBOS)? I mean...would you purchase an exhaust or tune in efforts to amplify that or do you think its overkill? Kinda wild that it comes from the factory this way...

I don't like it. I run in Sport + and avoid Sport (with backfire). I set the personal setting for Sport+ and the exhaust in standard...not Sport. I unhooked the Soundaktor fuse the first night I owned the car. I don't even know where it went and I don't miss it!

It still makes a very nice sound when you get on it. The rest of the time, the 4 cylinder Subaru sounds are quiet.

I love my CGTS with Softronic Flash. The sound of the motor, I think, is the only negative to the 4 cyl. I certainly don't want more of that or listening to it backfire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't like the pops in sport mode but do like the low frequency rumbly bits (sorry for the technical jargon).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love it! I'm leasing currently but am planning to buy a replacement and am considering an after-market exhaust if getting another Boxster for a deeper sound.

Reactions: grasmere

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like the way mine sounds, especially in sport mode. As you an tell from the responses, "like or dislike is in the ears of the beholder."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bring it! I have the soundaktor fuse pulled because I can’t stand the percussion effect it causes in the cabin, but having more sound from the actual exhaust... yes please! No drone though!
I have no idea why people would want this car to be louder. It sort of drones on the highway and what not. I would prefer just the opposite, how to make it quieter in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You know, it's funny but my perceptions of the audio seem to be different from those of some others here. Maybe the dealer had already disconnected the soundaktor, maybe they hadn't. I have never felt like it was either intrusive, obnoxious, or artificial. When I push the loud pedal it gets louder of course, otherwise it sounds fine. On some road surfaces the car makes more noise than I'd like but that's the tires. At 2000 to maybe 3000 rpm I hear a rapid tapping which I would have described as a loose valve on any other car. The dealer said I could be hearing the injector pump. Okay. All that being said, I like the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I have no idea why people would want this car to be louder. It sort of drones on the highway and what not. I would prefer just the opposite, how to make it quieter in the cabin.
Pull your fake sound fuse, drone gone!

If you already have it pulled and find the sound offensive or obnoxious... I'd say your in the wrong car!

Just as fast if not faster, handles quite well and dead silent!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts