Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just don’t get those who buy a Porsche sports car but want it to be quiet!

like lhooosier daddy” says, you’re in the wrong car :unsure:

·
Registered
394 Posts
In the olden days, burbles and pops were a result of fuel ignition in the exhaust tract due to aggressive non-variable cam timing. These cars have everything controlled electronically. The pops are only there because they were designed to be there.
From another thread currently running, and as written by C&D:
"To maintain responsiveness even when the driver lifts off the gas, Porsche briefly leaves the throttle open while retarding the timing, cutting fuel, and shutting the wastegate, essentially pumping air through to the turbo to keep it spinning; get back on the gas quickly, and the turbo’s already in play—no waiting for it to spool up.
In the “Sport” drive mode (the middle option on cars with the Sport Chrono package), the programming is less aggressive in cutting fuel, allowing for “emotional” exhaust pops and burbles on overrun. In Sport Plus mode, the programming prioritizes airflow to the turbo, leaving the exhaust relatively subdued on overrun."
FWIW & MOO
Agree but don't find Sport Plus to be fake. Porsche has provided a pathway back to the past exhaust sound of high RPM cams, and their overrun. The description above (electronic control of engine mapping) is the reason, in my mind at least, that my Miata with MazdaSpeed exhaust does not sound like a Triumph TR4/TR6 on high RPM shifts. IMO that is sad.

With all that said, I can distinctly recall my joy hearing the glorious sound of baseball cards flipping on my bicycle spokes. I have not outgrown this love, as I have not outgrown my enthusiasm for a woman.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Agree but don't find Sport Plus to be fake. Porsche has provided a pathway back to the past exhaust sound of high RPM cams, and their overrun. The description above (electronic control of engine mapping) is the reason, in my mind at least, that my Miata with MazdaSpeed exhaust does not sound like a Triumph TR4/TR6 on high RPM shifts. IMO that is sad.

With all that said, I can distinctly recall my joy hearing the glorious sound of baseball cards flipping on my bicycle spokes. I have not outgrown this love, as I have not outgrown my enthusiasm for a woman.
"Sport Plus" mode seems to be the real deal. It's intent is to provide improved responsiveness and is designed to prioritize that over other goals. It doesn't seem to make fake exhaust sounds for the sake of it. That's good. "Sport" mode does improve accelerator responsiveness for certain but it seems that it's at least equal goal is excessive flatulence for those that want it. Again, my view is that is fake and unnecessary so I tend to not like it. I will say though that I appreciate the improved responsiveness of "Sport Plus" mode but for our roads the tightened suspension is a bit brutal, so when hitting the backroads I tend to use "Sport" mode and accept the farts or "Individual" mode programmed for "Sport Plus" response & base suspension setting.

I never liked baseball cards in my spokes! :) My bike was either a Stingray style bike so I could pop wheelies everywhere or a race bike. They both served their purpose nicely!!

MOO & FWIW

41 - 44 of 44 Posts