Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the past week and half, I have got a Fedex envelope sent to me by my local dealer (distance approx 10 miles from home) asking if i wish to trade my 718 Cayman (base -2018) in to them or sell it. I ignored it. (funny side story, my wife called me to tell me that a FEDEX envelope from the local dealer had arrived and she thought it may be important enough to call me at work to mention it. My immediate reaction was " Oh,good,.the new car had arrived!" :) )

Last night, i got a call at dinner time a call from the head of their used car department asking me if i am interested in selling to them. I let is go to vmail.

I do service my car services there and my last visit was in Sept for my two year service and no contact since then.
My local area is South Florida.

Am curious if others are getting similar attention.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I already went through this stupid nonsense with multiple Porsche dealers and posted my experience. Short story is, I got paid 9k more from a third party non-Porsche dealer who sent it to auction right away and said he made a profit..ironically bought by another local Porsche dealer at the auction. Best offer I got from a Porsche dealer was $65k...it is now listed for $89.995k. Screw em, I hope they lose money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the past week and half, I have got a Fedex envelope sent to me by my local dealer (distance approx 10 miles from home) asking if i wish to trade my 718 Cayman (base -2018) in to them or sell it. I ignored it. (funny side story, my wife called me to tell me that a FEDEX envelope from the local dealer had arrived and she thought it may be important enough to call me at work to mention it. My immediate reaction was " Oh,good,.the new car had arrived!" :) )

Last night, i got a call at dinner time a call from the head of their used car department asking me if i am interested in selling to them. I let is go to vmail.

I do service my car their and my last visit was in Sept for my two year service and no contact since then.

Am curious if other are getting similar attention.
Collection or Porsche of West Broward?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a common practice that every car dealership does, or should be doing, regardless the manufacturer. It's called "Equity Mining". Car dealaerships make money off of used cars, obvioulsy, and the market is extremely hot at the moment. Not to mention the fact that there is literally ZERO new inventory.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah they do that. They make it sound like you're getting the deal of the century.
But their bids are even below some of those sites that buy cars unseen and ship them off to auctions.

It's basically an extra service they provide after ripping you off when you bring your car in for maintenance :poop:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m not exaggerating when I say I get a letter in the mail every other week from my BMW dealer asking me to trade in my 2015 328i. The weeks I don’t get the letter I get an automated email asking if I’ve gotten the letter.

Nothing like that from Porsche yet - but I bought it from out of state so maybe that spares me a little.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had 3 emails over the last month or so, asking me if I wished to sell or trade my 718

·
Registered
574 Posts
I receive offers from the local BMW every month or so for my 2016 X3 and just received the first letter from the Porsche dealer (My Boxster just turned two). They immediately go to the shredder. I think it is a lot more likely Cindy Crawford will show up at my door one night with a bottle of wine in her hand than a dealer is going to spontaneously offer me a deal for whiuch they do not need a large bottle of Vaseline in their hand.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dealers are short of stock as new car deliveries are at a trickle (blame COVID and the semi-conductor shortage), so they aren’t getting as many trade ins as usual.

Used prices are increasing as a result. My 19,000 mile 2019 Cayman T trade in-price has increased by £4000 in the last 4 months!

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Manual
12 Posts

I do service my car services there and my last visit was in Sept for my two year service and no contact since then.

On the 18th May, I received an email from my local dealership which said "We are urgently looking to purchase pre-owned Porsche models to satisfy current demand. I wanted to get in touch to see whether you are considering selling your Porsche now or in the near future?" Weird thing is, I have not even bought the car yet :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not had a request for my 2017 model year Boxster yet, but my Jeep dealer has tried to buy my 2015 model year 2 door Sahara Wrangler for the last year and a half with an "unbelievable offer....just call for details." LOL. Not parting with either one

·
Registered
8 Posts

Random, but since you’re Miami Blue is your Cayman blue? If so, we’re car twinning.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just traded my Cayman S in for a new C8 Corvette on order...Chevy dealer gave me 6k more than I spent on the car 6 months ago...the used car market is very hot

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, at least 2x per month. I'm buying my leased car as I'm under the mileage I paid for.

Reactions: 718caymansny
1 - 20 of 22 Posts