Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you listen to Sirius? The My complimentary subscription on my Cayman ran out over a year ago but they are after me to re-up and for not much money. We never listened to it much when it was active but you never know when something good might turn up. Having all the NFL games was interesting but I don't really need them, now do I?

Last year we had reason to buy a new minivan. It also came with a complimentary Sirius subscription. Haven't listened to it. But I do wonder if is possible to have one subscription work on both vehicles.

What say you to any of this?

·
Registered
529 Posts
You bring up some very good points. I have been an XM subscriber since 2002 and am also now wondering if I still need it in both cars. First, to answer your question, I understand you cannot use the same subscription in both cars as each factory installed radio system has its own ID for XM/Sirius radio and each ID gets its own subscription.

Back in 2002 I installed an XM device in my 2002 Z3 and used it all the time. A few years later we added a second subscription to our SUV and I still have subscriptions in both cars but I think they will be ending. In my Porsche, I almost always use Pandora via Apple Car Play. However, I like listening to news and five years ago FOX added an all headline news XM/Sirius station (much like CNN Headline News was a lot of years ago). The FOX XM/Sirius headline station is actually pretty good and is mostly absent of the unpleasant politically charged commentary FOX has become infamous for. I recently realized with Apple Car Play, except for this FOX news station, I rarely use XM/Sirius in my Boxster. The subscription costs have become unacceptably expensive (as expected when XM & Sirius combined a few years back) and I am truley out of all patience calling them every year threatening to cancel the subscription unless they lower the cost to something reasonable. So, I am probably just going to cancel the Porsche subscription in the very near future and do without Fox headline news. My 2016 X3 does not have Apple Car Play so XM/Sirius is used all the time in that car by my GF (it is her daily driver). The X3 is now five years old and we are talking about replacing it. Any new SUV will have Apple Car Play so I am thinking XM/Sirius has priced themselves out of my market and I will be totally done with XM/Sirius when the X3 gets replaced. I would probably be keeping both subscriptions if the rates were more reasonable and they did not require me calling them every year to bitch about the cost so now they will have nothing from me. Even after complaining it still costs more than its worth to me.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
We have it in three of our cars and listen to the music on it all the time. I can't stand commercials, never got into Pandora, and don't like the playlists in Apple Music as much as the SXM programming. I only get the "Mostly Music" subscription, so that keeps the costs down.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have had it for probably 10+ years and always listen to it. I’m a big Howard fan and love all the rock stations lithium, turbo, octane, etc. Its pretty inexpensive and each year when the contract period is up you just call and tell them you want to cancel and then boom, huge discount.

I only pay for it in one car though (my 718). For my daily driver I just play it via CarPlay using the Sirius app on my phone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
While I would probably cancel if I had to pay their regular subscription rates, they will always give you a basic subscription at what works out to be about $5/mo. at what they call a "promotional rate." So each year as my subscription is up for renewal at the "regular rate", I threaten to cancel, and re-up when they offer $5/mo. for another year. For $5/mo., I love it!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
How many of you listen to Sirius? The My complimentary subscription on my Cayman ran out over a year ago but they are after me to re-up and for not much money. We never listened to it much when it was active but you never know when something good might turn up. Having all the NFL games was interesting but I don't really need them, now do I?

Last year we had reason to buy a new minivan. It also came with a complimentary Sirius subscription. Haven't listened to it. But I do wonder if is possible to have one subscription work on both vehicles.

What say you to any of this?
I listen to Vermont Public Radio's Classical feed whenever I can. However, when out of their range, Sirius works well. I don't need to search for the next classical station - Symphony Hall is always there!
MOO

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have had it for probably 10+ years and always listen to it. I’m a big Howard fan and love all the rock stations lithium, turbo, octane, etc. Its pretty inexpensive and each year when the contract period is up you just call and tell them you want to cancel and then boom, huge discount.

I only pay for it in one car though (my 718). For my daily driver I just play it via CarPlay using the Sirius app on my phone.
Plus 1...I do the same.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I listen to Vermont Public Radio's Classical feed whenever I can. However, when out of their range, Sirius works well. I don't need to search for the next classical station - Symphony Hall is always there!
MOO
Btw, they wanted somewhere around $12/month. I told them it wasn't worth that to me and to just cancel it. I accepted their offer when they got to $6/month.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
229 Posts
As an Australian what the **** is a Sirius!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
As an Australian what the **** is a Sirius!?
SiriusXM is satellite based service that offers extremely compressed and low bitrate "radio" stations. Some without commercials.

Edit: There used to be two separate services: Sirius, and XM. They have since merged into one company

·
Registered
53 Posts
Never subbed after the complimentary year of service in any of our cars. Pricey given you have to hold multiple subscriptions for multiple vehicles and the web version of it sucks. The playlist for music is quite repetitive, end up listening to the same playlist/commentary in the morning and evening drive. Now that Sima activated AA on my CGTS, I just use my phone's music subscription. We do a family subscription to use on multiple devices and still come out ahead of Sirius. Other than long drives where you might be in areas without cell service, I hardly find value in Sirius' overpriced offering. Even then, I have random music cached in the phone to deal with those times. Youtube Music actually does a pretty decent job at curating an offline playlist that I actually listen to.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I do not listen to music, etc., when I'm out terrorizing chickens so I never use the Sirrus capability. They keep sending me deals to sign up and I just ignore them. I do have it in my Subaru Outback and have for years. It's great when I go on long trips and I use it around town also.

Reactions: DriveInHouston

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your answer was in your question. 🙂
Of course you absolutely right! I just figured it made sense to consider it one more time before tossing that email.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been a listener for 15 years or so. I usually do whatever 6 or 12 month discounted offer they give me. I like the lack of commercials, plus listen to the NASCAR channel (it has talk shows) and other news/talk a lot when commuting. I generally just pay for it in my car. It drives me nuts not having the subscription in my wife's car because I have no clue what local stations are around and the commercials drive me crazy. Took a road trip in the wife's car once and I really missed it.

I think my use case using it for music is mainly that I'm too lazy to set up playlists or use music on my phone. I've been working on using my phone more lately for music it's making me rethink the subscription. Especially since now that I'm in a BGTS the talk radio is much less usable over the engine noise or having the top down. I thought it was interesting when Sirius and XM merged the argument they used to regulators as to why it was a good thing was because they weren't competing with each other, rather they were competing with MP3 players and digital music services. I think it was a very legitimate argument.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been a listener for 15 years or so. I usually do whatever 6 or 12 month discounted offer they give me. I like the lack of commercials, plus listen to the NASCAR channel (it has talk shows) and other news/talk a lot when commuting. I generally just pay for it in my car. It drives me nuts not having the subscription in my wife's car because I have no clue what local stations are around and the commercials drive me crazy. Took a road trip in the wife's car once and I really missed it.

I think my use case using it for music is mainly that I'm too lazy to set up playlists or use music on my phone. I've been working on using my phone more lately for music it's making me rethink the subscription. Especially since now that I'm in a BGTS the talk radio is much less usable over the engine noise or having the top down. I thought it was interesting when Sirius and XM merged the argument they used to regulators as to why it was a good thing was because they weren't competing with each other, rather they were competing with MP3 players and digital music services. I think it was a very legitimate argument.
My lovely Bride has SiriusXM in her car and we negotiate the fee down annually (~$8 including taxes). This allows me to use the SiriusXM phone app wherever I go...for NO extra charge...regardless of conveyance (e.g. 718 BS, Suburban, mountain bike, walking, Costco with ear buds, etc.). Makes me feel like I'm getting something for free, even though I realize that's included in the 8 bucks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My lovely Bride has SiriusXM in her car and we negotiate the fee down annually (~$8 including taxes). This allows me to use the SiriusXM phone app wherever I go...for NO extra charge...regardless of conveyance (e.g. 718 BS, Suburban, mountain bike, walking, Costco with ear buds, etc.). Makes me feel like I'm getting something for free, even though I realize that's included in the 8 bucks.
That is a really great idea to use SiriusXM in multiple cars. I'll have to see if I can play audio over bluetooth using the Android app on my phone in the wife's PCM 5 Macan. I assume it will just play whatever is running on my phone over bluetooth. I'm pretty sure the SiriusXM app shows up in Carplay for iPhone people, which would be slick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts