Porsche 718 Forum banner

averted calamity

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  GregW 
#1 ·
First, I love dogs and have owned one or more for my entire adult life, and am never happy when dog/car encounters happen. My adult daughter came home for an extended Easter weekend visit. It was her first time seeing the new P car and was excited to drive it. We went on a 60 miles round trip through some nice two-lane country roads for about an hour. Half way through, a smallish (10-15 lb) dog darted onto the road in an attempt to chase us. My daughter managed to slow to about 30 mph before clipping the dog on the front right fender (LHD). The truck in back of us locked its brakes and oncoming traffic avoided us as well. Without going into gory details, the dog was injured and a neighbor returned it to its owners. The car was unscathed. My rules for engagement of smallish critters on the road are (in priority): self and passengers, car, critter. However, I would sacrifice the car to avoid a moose! It does take some commitment to run over smallish things rather than swerve to avoid them, but I've hit enough wildlife for it to become habit, unfortunately. Drive safely friends.

#3 ·
I have first hand experience of both deers and mooses.
There is No Way In H-ll i would hit one in a 718 because the chance to die are very high!!
My first 718 BS i trashed avoiding a moose, i would not be hear to tell you this otherwise....

Deers, we have a ton of them where i live i see 10-20 of them daily.
They are not as deadly as mooses but......

#5 ·
I have first hand experience of both deers and mooses.
There is No Way In H-ll i would hit one in a 718 because the chance to die are very high!!
My first 718 BS i trashed avoiding a moose, i would not be hear to tell you this otherwise....

Deers, we have a ton of them where i live i see 10-20 of them daily.
They are not as deadly as mooses but......
That track in the video you posted with the Porsche hitting the deer is Summit Point, West Virginia.

I've run dozens of events there and probably have thousands of laps around that place. I actually recognize two of the workers in the video. Summit is about 4 hours from me here in northeast USA. Unquestionably my favourite track.

But they do have an animal problem there. One time, I was there and a cow wandered onto the track (right around the same area as that deer-hit) when cars are near top speed. Luckily, she didn't get hit. After that, one of the flagger made up a "Cow Flag". ;)

Another time I was running a 4-hour night enduro (in my MG). A driver in a SpecMiata hit a wild turkey about half way down that straight. Luckily it hit on the passenger side. SpecMiatas are fitted with hardtops. The turkey smashed through the windscreen and filled the interior of the car with feathers and guts. They cleared all the mess out, removed what was left of the broken windscreen and send him back out. Part of the reason I love amateur endurance racing. :)

Summit Point has new owners as of the this year and they have added more fencing in key area to keep out deer and other animals. But this is rural West Virginia and there is no way to keep out all the wild turkeys. All part of the experience, I guess!

I'll be instructing and racing at Summit in less than a month.

https://vrgonline.org/vrg/wp-content/uploads/events/j500/J500_Schedule_2019_v1.pdf

Back home, here in New Jersey, I get at least a dozen white-tail deer running through my back yard every day. We live near a moderate speed road (35 mph) and I hear brakes slamming all the time due to deer running across it.

I'm sorry to hear about the dog in the original post. The fault is with the owner letting it run wild. But still, no one likes to think of animals getting hurt.

#7 ·
Two guys waiting in a queue outside The Pearly Gates having a chat.

The first old timer says “ I had a great life and died in my sleep.”

The second guy says “ I don’t know what happened to me, I was out driving in my car and the last thing I remember was being smacked across the face by a giant pair of Moose Testicles”

>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.