Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster Base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know what your experience has been outlining the pros and cons for tuning a 2018 Boxster?

According to a local tuner they claim there is significant performance improvement by merely making a software update that can be easily reset to address warranty concerns. I’d be interested in your real life experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
According to a local tuner ... easily reset to address warranty concerns. I’d be interested in your real life experience.
Your local tuner is lying to you to get you to buy the tuning software. It is easily reset and easily detected and it will void your warranty for engine components and, depending upon your country, could be even more. My real life experience is that the Audi dealer detected the APR tune, but only 2 days after they approved the $11K repair bill (which was caused by the tune, BTW), so I didnt have to pay that, but I was pretty **** close. Porsche has the same capability as Audi to detect a tune.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Please let me know what your experience has been outlining the pros and cons for tuning a 2018 Boxster?

According to a local tuner they claim there is significant performance improvement by merely making a software update that can be easily reset to address warranty concerns. I’d be interested in your real life experience.

Thanks
I bought a replacement ECU (£200 ish second hand) and had it cloned to my car then had the tune put on that, should i decide to sell or trade in whilst the vehicle is still in warranty then the original ECU goes back on.
you will find that the 2.0 and 2.5 4 banger is extremely robust, I’ve yet to read about an engine let go let alone the tune being blamed as the cause, trust me, it would be plastered all over the net and Porsche sites (there would be massive publicity if it were a known or common occurrence as there are many haters of the 4 banger and they would love to find a serious flaw in the armour other than just the sound to hate) just like the Audi and VW forums have tuning horror stories abound of engines bending con rods and detonating due to tuning one stage too far, but those motors don’t have forged internal components like the Porsche.

cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought a replacement ECU (£200 ish second hand) and had it cloned to my car then had the tune put on that, should i decide to sell or trade in whilst the vehicle is still in warranty then the original ECU goes back on.
FYI, for those that don’t know already: ECUs have be coded to the VIN with PIWIS or they are bricks; you can’t just swap them in and out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
what part of “had it Cloned to my car” did not cover this ?
Well… the part where I wrote “for those that don’t know already...”

I am curious though: have you swapped ECUs and tested that both work swapping back and forth?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well… the part where I wrote “for those that don’t know already...”

I am curious though: have you swapped ECUs and tested that both work swapping back and forth?
Yep you can copy anything if you know the right people with the right software 😜

·
Registered
428 Posts
Right. But, did you do a test? Your response is not crystal clear.
I have plenty experience tuning these motors, having designed and built custom components including gt4 rear exhaust system and a gpf delete with 200cel cat, fitted larger turbocharger and played with plenty of different tuning maps, the cloned ECU is just that an exact clone of the original only its had a few maps installed which are switchable via the obd2 & handheld port the maps can be changed on the go, there is also provisions for custom tuning the parameters myself including adding meth injection water injection and race gas along with upping the turbo boost to 28psi.
the original ECU can be put back at any stage and works plug and play.
i hope this answers your question, if not then please PM me for a discussion and i will endeavour to answer your questions without confusing or hijacking this thread.

Cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any ECU can be replaced, all tuners have suffered from a bricked ECU while flashing in their life, sometimes because of the flashing procedure external interruption, anyhow in any case a new coded ECU fixes the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what your on about ???
I think the question is this: have you ever swapped the stock ECU with a cloned one and then back to the stock, then taken the car to a dealer for work and they were not able to detect any changes this caused?

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster Base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the information I’ve decided that based upon your feedback, speaking with the tuner and reading many of the posts on this topic to not perform the tune.

As always I do a risk/reward analysis and I think in this case the risks outweigh the reward. This recognizes the basic capabilities of 718 as above average to begin with and the additional power to be minImal vs the cost of the tune, potential heat damage to the engine as a result of the tune and potential to void the warranty all create to much risk.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not sure I would describe the extra power as minimal. I have done a tune on my S, and the difference is quite marked. But fair enough about the warranty concern. I let mine go out of warranty before adding the tune. If something breaks with or without tune, it is my cost. I don't think the probability of breaking anything is increased much by the tune (though it is increased by some amount). Also, I don't use my car at track or any sustained high load condition. I recognise that thermal management at sustained load is an issue on these cars even with stock tune, so a tune is only going to make it worse.... but for road driving this is not an issue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think the question is this: have you ever swapped the stock ECU with a cloned one and then back to the stock, then taken the car to a dealer for work and they were not able to detect any changes this caused?
I think the question was answered please read my post where it states
the original ECU can be put back at any stage and works plug and play.
Cheers

·
Registered
428 Posts
So the answer to my question is no. Thanks.
If that’s how you interpret it.

But in reality swappable back to original anytime and plug and play in my language mean yes, it has been swapped back many times for service internal work and other warranty issues ( non engine/ drivetrain related) maybe it is a language barrier thing with translation from queens English into American?
🤣

1 - 20 of 24 Posts