Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wonder whether the 'quickness' feeling is due to a different mapping. It can be done, probably child's play for Porsche, keep the turbo spinning to reduce lag and off we go. Not more horsepower, just more readily available horsepower.
Although the advertised specs for the 2.0 are the same are the same for two models, it's probably not an unreasonable bet that Porsche "tuned" the T's in some way or another.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’ll wade in here. Ran a base 2.0 (PDK) for 25,000 miles and now have a manual T as my DD since July. In all honesty there isn’t a night and day difference between the two. Both are fantastic so don’t beat yourself up over your choice. When I was speccing another 2.0 as replacement for my original 2.0 I found I’d pretty much spec’d a T. Icing on the cake was finance residuals on a T were stronger than a 2.0. This made a T significantly cheaper than a 2.0. Became a no brainer for me to order a T.

I‘m very happy with it as a daily. My 2.0 had PASM and I don’t find the T on SPASM any stiffer at all (looks very cool with the 20mm drop though).

A quick list of my experiences:
Ride Comfort - Softest to Hardest
2.0 PASM (off), T SPASM (off), (981) Steel Springs, 2.0 PASM (on), T SPASM (on)

Interior Noise Levels
Exactly the same

Handling
T just edges it

Exterior Noise
T significantly quieter from the exhaust, but this probably due to the GPF

Performance
Strange one this. Even though both models have identical engines/outputs the T felt vastly quicker than the 2.0 from day one.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response, Neilf
As this will be my last new car i will ever get, per my wife, i plan on driving the base, T and the CS in a few months. Hopefully all with same or near same options. Right now my dealer has 0 cars.
I just turned 62 and plan on doing a thorough eval of said cars cause its awesome. BTW, this will NOT be my last new car, my wife has no idea who she is dealing with? She doesn't read my posts on here so i"m ok...i hope
Anyway, one other thing I cannot understand is why you cannot get air cooled seats without leather. I live here in AZ, this should be standard on every car sold here. Its freaking HOT.
So interior options on the T will be limited for me.
Any other comparisons people have of these cars would be great,
Appreciate all the help and knowledge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As this will be my last new car i will ever get, per my wife...
BTW, this will NOT be my last new car, my wife has no idea who she is dealing with? She doesn't read my posts on here so i"m ok...i hope
Hi Dear, it's me, I know what you are up to...

J/K 😁

It's always a battle, isn't it ? My wife views cars as purely depreciating assets, and really nothing more. It was like pulling teeth to obtain my first Porsche, pre-owned at that. As this surely won't be my last Porsche, I will have no more teeth left by the time I'm done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was sort of in the same boat as you when I started my buying journey - Base vs. T.

In short, there is zero difference between the two aside from the T offering Sport PASM and the unique colouring of wheels and mirrors. In the end, if you are one to tick all the go-fast bits then the T does make sense as it comes out a bit cheaper and said unique items.

However, if the Sport PASM and PTV are items you are not keen on, then a Base is the way to go. Think of it as a GTS with the 2.0 engine.

I've driven both extensively and was settled on T but with two minor reservations.
  1. The interior door release - while the straps hark to the GT cars, I found it a bit downmarket and much preferred the chunky metal ones they replace
  2. Interior choices - I was going to go with the higher spec interior - leather dash, doors etc - but having to pick between Silver, Green, Yellow or Red on Black Sport Tex felt limiting
The T did/does have a much better residual value, which was a plus in my situation. So I built up my dream spec and realised I was not far off from an S. I was able to build up an S to almost the same spec as the T and keep the price level the same but this was an S without PTV.

For everyday driving, a 2.0 is MORE than enough. The T is perfect if you were to order PTV, PASM etc. As fro the 20mm drop - I have this on my car and was worried about it. All worries are gone. I dare say that in Normal mode it's almost luxury car level of comfort, for a sports car. And as others have stated, it does look great. :)

Good luck on your decision! I'll have a look at your codes and put my configurator analyst hat on. ;)

P

·
Registered
384 Posts
Although the advertised specs for the 2.0 are the same are the same for two models, it's probably not an unreasonable bet that Porsche "tuned" the T's in some way or another.
Has anyone checked if there is a difference in fuel consumption figures between the Base and the T? It would be interesting to know.

Apparently there is a difference in fuel consumption between the base Carrera and the Carrera T, which some people speculated could be due to the different final drive ratio (the Carrera T has the same final drive ratio as the Carrera S) but I have no idea if the final drive ratio is different on the 718 models.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone checked if there is a difference in fuel consumption figures between the Base and the T? It would be interesting to know.

Apparently there is a difference in fuel consumption between the base Carrera and the Carrera T, which some people speculated could be due to the different final drive ratio (the Carrera T has the same final drive ratio as the Carrera S) but I have no idea if the final drive ratio is different on the 718 models.
T has a shortened gear stick (manual) compared to all other 718s. But as far as I am aware the gear ratios are the same. After 25k miles in my 2.0 and 5k miles in my T I can confirm fuel consumption is identical.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you for your response, Neilf
As this will be my last new car i will ever get, per my wife, i plan on driving the base, T and the CS in a few months. Hopefully all with same or near same options. Right now my dealer has 0 cars.
I just turned 62 and plan on doing a thorough eval of said cars cause its awesome. BTW, this will NOT be my last new car, my wife has no idea who she is dealing with? She doesn't read my posts on here so i"m ok...i hope
Anyway, one other thing I cannot understand is why you cannot get air cooled seats without leather. I live here in AZ, this should be standard on every car sold here. Its freaking HOT.
So interior options on the T will be limited for me.
Any other comparisons people have of these cars would be great,
Appreciate all the help and knowledge.
Loved this! Mum told my Dad his RAV4 was going to be his last car about 10 years ago. At 77 he collected a new Macan last year. :cool:

Enjoy the test drives. You’ll love it.

re MOG_80THs comment about the interior door handles. He’s right. The standard ones are nicer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was sort of in the same boat as you when I started my buying journey - Base vs. T.

In short, there is zero difference between the two aside from the T offering Sport PASM and the unique colouring of wheels and mirrors. In the end, if you are one to tick all the go-fast bits then the T does make sense as it comes out a bit cheaper and said unique items.

However, if the Sport PASM and PTV are items you are not keen on, then a Base is the way to go. Think of it as a GTS with the 2.0 engine.

I've driven both extensively and was settled on T but with two minor reservations.
  1. The interior door release - while the straps hark to the GT cars, I found it a bit downmarket and much preferred the chunky metal ones they replace
  2. Interior choices - I was going to go with the higher spec interior - leather dash, doors etc - but having to pick between Silver, Green, Yellow or Red on Black Sport Tex felt limiting
The T did/does have a much better residual value, which was a plus in my situation. So I built up my dream spec and realised I was not far off from an S. I was able to build up an S to almost the same spec as the T and keep the price level the same but this was an S without PTV.

For everyday driving, a 2.0 is MORE than enough. The T is perfect if you were to order PTV, PASM etc. As fro the 20mm drop - I have this on my car and was worried about it. All worries are gone. I dare say that in Normal mode it's almost luxury car level of comfort, for a sports car. And as others have stated, it does look great. :)

Good luck on your decision! I'll have a look at your codes and put my configurator analyst hat on. ;)

P
I like your analysis and can't help but feel that a T is meant to be bought almost as is. I especially like your analogy to a GTS. I see a GTS as a Porsche-configured S that comes with a discount from the factory (compared to a comparably equipped S you configure yourself), that only needs you to make your color selection(s). In the same way, the T seems (to me) like a Base that's been purposefully spec'd by Porsche. Only your choice of colors is necessary to complete the build. Once one starts hanging a long list of options on a T, is it really still a T, or does it become a well optioned Base with pull straps to close the doors?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I feel like the T is more of a trim package compared to the base 718 and not as special as a 911T. There’s not much weight savings and you’re paying extra when you could probably get a Cayman S instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a base boxster with PDK, PASM, PTV, SPORT CHROM, 19 WHEELS AND stuff. This is a great car, I like how I can adjust the car on the fly for what type of driving I am doing. The options list works great with car, good look

·
Registered
18 Posts
As others have said, with all the options you are adding, you're really getting into 718 CS pricing. So good that you are testing a base, T, and S. There is very limited stock of these cars and I'm not sure if you'll be able to pre-order to your liking. A few months back, it was impossible to get any dealer to pre-order a 718 CS and Porsche was only building GTS models. So I'm not sure if you are going to be able to spec the base to your liking, and might be forced to just get the T if you want all the options you are looking for. My 718CS which is very close in spec to your cars (minus black wheels, vented seats, lighting plus, painted panels, leather seats) came to $78k before taxes (9% discount).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree you should consider an S with that price range. I have a base but also test drove an S. I ended up getting the base because I found a great deal on a gently used CPO. If I had a bigger budget, I would have probably gotten an S. I use my car as a daily driver and the base is just fine for me. I rarely use Sport mode except when I’m on the highway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OP: I may have a pretty good perspective on your main question.... "Is the T too stiff for daily driving?" The answer is No. Here's why I feel I can say this. I had an '06 Cayman for nearly 10 years. It had 18" wheels with Michelin PSS. The ride was pretty bad with the stock PASM. I put Bilstein Damptronic coil-overs on it. The ride improved...because the DAMPING improved. The car wasn't harsh ever...and it was better controlled. There were certain roads that totally confused the stock PASM. Damptronics stopped most of that. Then I added a TPC brain box for the PASM. The combination of the smarter box with the Damptronics gave the car some much needed poise. Oh...and I added a lot of camber to it and lowered it and it turned like a demon. ....but was actually a bit better than stock for general driving around...still, a rough and tumble sort of a car. I miss it!

Moving on...I traded that car to the dealer for pennies on the dollar. I got a 2019 Carrera T. This has the standard 375HP twin turbo motor (which is awesome) and all the suspension options...and sport exhaust...and limited slip with torque vectoring and lower gearing to make the thing accelerate better out of the hole....and it's the lightest 911 you can buy. Sounded perfect to me. Mine was GT silver with the cool cloth seats with Carrera T pinstriping in the cloth...little silver cloth door pulls....This car was gorgeous to my eyes and just plain cool...

However...It was only about half the fun of the '06 Cayman S. I kept it for about 5 months and went back to the dealer to try a Cayman GTS with stick. It took about 10 blocks for me to know that the 718 is way more fun that any 911...although the high-powered ones will scare the wee out of you...That's not my idea of fun. That said, I went 96 mph on my test drive, which was a little under 3 miles. I had the salesperson in the car with me...laughing hysterically.

The car I tried was black on black with black wheels. Sorry, no black cars for me and no black wheels either. The dealer found a very nice new '18 GTS with stick in NC. It was GT silver but with black wheels. I said I would not accept black wheels. They agreed to trade for some anthracite grey ones...which I love. I got a check back from the dealer. This should be a collector's item, but the amount was enough that I didn't want to frame it as much as I wanted the money.

The 911 Carrera T was not in the least bit too harsh for daily driving. It was a very comfortable car...with 20" wheels and PASM Sport.

The '18 Cayman GTS has standard PASM...not the lowered version. I get a little less spring rate and more wheel travel...½" or so? This car also has 20" wheels. PASM has come a long way since '06. It's really sophisticated now and very transparent. It really is just fine on most any road even with 20" wheels. I dare say, even sport PASM would be fine because the electronics are so good these days. This is why you see Astons and Bentleys with 21 and 22" wheels...and they really deliver a more than acceptable everyday ride. ....so no worries there.

That said, if you choice is really between the base and the T, I'd get the base. I like the red interior.

I would never buy black for a daily driver. I live in Chicago and our weather is generally unkind to clean cars. I have a great soft cloth carwash 2 miles from my heated garage. For $8, I can get the car decently clean with no visible scratching...and run it home to do the rest of the fine points. I think, with black, I might have swirl marks. I don't get out of my car and no one drives it. I ride through. I like black...on someone else's car. On mine, a light metallic please.

Standard PASM with 20" wheels works just fine and I know you'll be happy with the daily ride.

I would get a stick and then invest in the sport shifter that Suncoast Porsche sells online. My favorite tech, who did a lot of great work on my '06, installed this for me and it is really a worthy improvement. The standard stick is a bit too tall and the linkage a bit too long. The manual on these are so good and the clutch so easy, that you really will enjoy the car more with a stick...light cars deserve sticks. Heavy cars deserve full automatics. Track cars deserve dual clutch. ...in my book. I do mostly street driving in my car. I like the fun of shifting and I'm not concerned with lap times. (I've been a BMW CCA instructor for 20+ years.)

With my 2.5L motor, I would not bother with sport exhaust. It's expensive and you really don't hear it in the car...and I don't think the sport sound is all that great. With the 2.0L, I don't know. I had a SpeedArt cat-back on my '06 and liked the sound, but it was a 6.

The only real drawback to this GTS is the motor sound....It's a little bit buzzy. I've had 4 cyl cars before that were not this way. I think Porsche wanted it to sound "sporty" and made it too loud. I don't mind a sporty, expensive sounding exhaust note, but I don't like the inside of the car to vibrate...and this car does a little. Maybe the 2-liter is better in this respect? I didn't try one.

The GTS comes with a "soundaktor". That's an electronic noisemaker. It vibrates the inside of the car and makes it even louder inside. ...This is about the dumbest idea Porsche has had in a while..and that's saying something. They make wonderful cars but when they screw something up, it's like "WTF were you THINKING???" I felt this way about the first generation of Panamera...It looks like a pregnant walrus. I was really looking forward to that car coming out and when it did, I was stunned at the fugliness. ...This, in my book, is one of those things. Luckily, I read on this forum, prior to buying the GTS, that a 7.5A fuse can be removed to easily and safely disable it. I did that the first night of ownership...and that's the last I've heard from the Soundaktor.

I agree with the person who said you want Torque Vectoring Limited Slip diff. It's worth having, even on a street car.

Either PASM option is good. If your streets are particularly bad, you may want the standard one. For most of us, the lowered PASM is the bomb. I kinda wish I had the lowered version...but I still love this car.

I have the keyless drive thing. Also had it on the T. I don't think I'll get another Porsche without it. It's very nice.

I do not have auto climate...and the T had this. I miss it a lot. The manual controls are a pita on Porsches. You can't tell where their set without taking your eyes off the road.

I have mixed feelings about self-dimming mirrors and rain sensing. I'm happy without it and like being able to really see what's behind me at night.

I have the lowest version of bi-xenon lights. They're adequate. I've heard that the next step up uses a brighter bulb and that these bulbs can be acquired and substituted in the base light system without problems. I may try that. It's not terrible, but should be better.

The T had LED lights. They were very bright. In fact, I had to train myself to avoid looking at reflecting signs at night because they would cause temporary night-blindness. I got used to doing this. Once I did, I think I prefer the LEDs, but I don't like those 4 LED driving lights. I just used my headlights during the day instead of the DRLs. Vanity.

Both my new cars have/had sport chrono. This steering wheel dial can be set so the car doesn't shut off at stop lights. Sometimes I want it to. Sometimes not. I can switch to the "personal" setting easliy with the little wheel when I don't want it. I use that a lot. Mostly I'm in Sport + but with the exhaust on the quiet setting. I suppose if I didn't have SC, I could learn to use the button on the console to disable the shut-off when I don't want it. SC made more difference on the '06. On this car, even the stiff SC suspension setting is pretty tolerable.

Because I bought both of these cars off the lot, I learned which options mean something to me and which ones don't. I like the heated sport steering wheel with all the buttons. My GTS doesn't have that. I could live without the buttons, but would like the heat, please.

I don't like SportDesign shiny black plastic bits on the outside of the car. I have about $3000 worth of it and it all gets chipped up too easily...especially the side-pods where the air vents are. I don't think it adds any visual appeal to the car either. One fast drive in the country and my passenger's side vent was peppered with little marks that wouldn't come out. I replaced the pricy shiny ones with some cheap stock flat black ones...(There is no paint on these...They're black all the way through.) They look just as good...maybe better. Also have the front and rear SportDesign...I wouldn't pay $1 more for this look. It's not any worse, but it's also not better. Finally, I got shiny black on the window surrounds...and shiny black on the little triangles...Seriously? That's seperate? Yup. Look at the cost for all these options. It's nuts. My car had them. Oh well....I think I'm happy with my trade. I will keep this one a long time...but not because of the SportDesign stuff.

I immediatly put flat black aftermarket grills on my front pods. Glad I did. The GTS comes with a center radiator...It's kind of vulnerable. These things look pretty great too. That and the shift kit are my only mods. I've owned the car nearly a year now and it's still sublime.

Have fun with your new Cayman!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The car I tried was black on black with black wheels. Sorry, no black cars for me and no black wheels either. The dealer found a very nice new '18 GTS with stick in NC. It was GT silver but with black wheels. I said I would not accept black wheels.
Thank you! I thought I was the only one.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts