Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably an easy question . . . . when I took a 2018 Boxster out for a test drive, there was a "screen" in the center of the car at eye-view height. I asked him what it was for and he said since the car we were in didn't have NAVIGATION, the screen didn't / doesn't do anything. That seemed odd to have a blank screen that does nothing. Doesn't the PCM use the screen? Dumb question number 2: Since the PCM is standard equipment (and I assume that it does use the screen), why do you need the 7UG Navigation module OR the IU1 Connect? From what I read, you can't have both 7UG Navigation and IU1 Connect on the same vehicle. But, I'm not sure why I need Navigation or Connect. Thanks for your help on the basic questions that all of you probably already know the answers to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Yes the screen is used for many other things aswell, such as media. It can be turned off so Im guessing your sales person did not know how to turn it on.
2. Navigation is disabled unless you pay for it AFAIK. An update enabled it AFAIK. I do not have the IU1 Connect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boy that was one poor sales person. As Oskar says, the screen does tons of stuff. Not least, trip computer, car info, radio stations, media selection, basic sound settings (or advanced if you have Bose or Burmester) etc etc. Otherwise you may just have had a shelf as with 991R ?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Even with zero options, the screen provides backup camera view -- that's probably the main thing. Also shows your incoming calls with Bluetooth connect to your smartphone. And if you play CDs, it shows the color graphic for the album cover logo as well as the detail list/select songs. Those are the things I'm getting on there with zero option 718. Hopefully when Porsche add support for Android Auto, it can be retrofiit by the dealer and then I'll display Google Maps on there.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Even with zero options, the screen provides backup camera view -- that's probably the main thing. Also shows your incoming calls with Bluetooth connect to your smartphone. And if you play CDs, it shows the color graphic for the album cover logo as well as the detail list/select songs. Those are the things I'm getting on there with zero option 718. Hopefully when Porsche add support for Android Auto, it can be retrofiit by the dealer and then I'll display Google Maps on there.
I heard the reason for them not supporting Android Auto was because Google wanted to collect more information (like speeds , etc) than Porsche wanted to give away. This wasn't/isn't true for Apple Car Play.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I heard the reason for them not supporting Android Auto was because Google wanted to collect more information (like speeds , etc) than Porsche wanted to give away. This wasn't/isn't true for Apple Car Play.
This is true. The 'compromise' was allowing Google Maps/Earth to be integrated into PCM for those with the Nav/Connect Plus option. However, that service is ending at the end of this calendar year, so it very well may be that Android Auto will become available sometime in 2018.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is true. The 'compromise' was allowing Google Maps/Earth to be integrated into PCM for those with the Nav/Connect Plus option. However, that service is ending at the end of this calendar year, so it very well may be that Android Auto will become available sometime in 2018.
NOT true. Google came out immediately after the report and refuted/rejected the claims of data harvesting. And then when confronted with that refutation, Porsche had no good answer as to why Android was excluded.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think a lot of people are getting nervous about Google. Can they be trusted? Steve Jobs thought they were essentially an evil enterprise...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dumb question number 2: Since the PCM is standard equipment (and I assume that it does use the screen), why do you need the 7UG Navigation module OR the IU1 Connect? From what I read, you can't have both 7UG Navigation and IU1 Connect on the same vehicle. But, I'm not sure why I need Navigation or Connect.
i started out with the nav as an option but my salesman, who is a friend, talked me into the connect for apple carplay. the nav on there, stock maps app, works just as good as any factory system i have ever used. i took the money i saved and put it towards the 18-way seats instead and i am happy with the results.

my thoughts? if you will never need a nav system don't get either. if you have an iphone and want nav get connect and use the maps app and save some money vs factory nav plus all the other stuff carplay does. if you have an android and want nav get the factory nav. (i think that is right...)

I think a lot of people are getting nervous about Google. Can they be trusted? Steve Jobs thought they were essentially an evil enterprise...
they are sneaky and data hungry, but could you live without what they have done to change our daily lives? do you know how few gmail users realize they granted google a copy of everything they ever send or receive? then again it's pretty amazing that i can pick up my phone, ask google anything i want and get the results instantly. someone is paying for that amazing technology, and it's you and your personal data :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts