Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
My Cayman came with Porsche Tequipment trickle charger with the car from the dealer.
I thought it was common practice.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Like to share a couple of discoveries new to me on that subject:
The Porsche (re) brand charger #95504490054 above works, but it is NOT the ideal charger for our AGM Banner batteries.
It only provides 14.4V. Recommended is 14.7V.
You can easily verify this with the MFD. The alternator provides 13.9V to maintain a healthy/charged battery but goes up to 14.7V if the battery needs a charge during driving.

The Porsche charger #95504490054 is a re-branded version of the CTEK 3300! In addition the CTEK 3300 could provide the 14.7V, but is total garbage unfortunately.
Bought 2 in the last 4 weeks. One didn't work at all and the other failed after short use.
Both chargers are 4 step with the huge downside of only having two mode indicator LEDs. Charging or Maintaining. So you really don't know what the charger is doing.

Which brings me to the charger I'd recommend at this point for our 718: CTEK MUS 4.3
It is an inexpensive 8 step charger with 8 indicator LEDs. So you always know what's going on... And it provides a 14.7V mode suitable for our AGM battery.
Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G14FK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K2QX0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hope this is useful to someone.

·
892 Posts
Like to share a couple of discoveries new to me on that subject:
The Porsche (re) brand charger #95504490054 above works, but it is NOT the ideal charger for our AGM Banner batteries.
It only provides 14.4V. Recommended is 14.7V.
You can easily verify this with the MFD. The alternator provides 13.9V to maintain a healthy/charged battery but goes up to 14.7V if the battery needs a charge during driving.

The Porsche charger #95504490054 is a re-branded version of the CTEK 3300! In addition the CTEK 3300 could provide the 14.7V, but is total garbage unfortunately.
Bought 2 in the last 4 weeks. One didn't work at all and the other failed after short use.
Both chargers are 4 step with the huge downside of only having two mode indicator LEDs. Charging or Maintaining. So you really don't know what the charger is doing.

Which brings me to the charger I'd recommend at this point for our 718: CTEK MUS 4.3
It is an inexpensive 8 step charger with 8 indicator LEDs. So you always know what's going on... And it provides a 14.7V mode suitable for our AGM battery.
Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G14FK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K2QX0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hope this is useful to someone.
I'm not going to disagree with you regarding your recommendations, however I will say I've owned a Porsche Tequipment branded charger for years (about 9 or 10) & it's always done the job perfectly adequately. Having said that, I'll also add that if you don't use it for a while then keep it somewhere warm & dry or the setting buttons can stop functioning. Very easy to rectify if you're confident to strip it down & apply contact cleaner, but it is something to bear in mind. Although I'm an electrical engineer that also has some qualifications in electronics, it really isn't to hard to rectify should you already own one of these & experience problems (seriously if it's just the buttons it's a really simple fix).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just to complete the info:
There is a for AGM batteries updated Porsche charger version (part #95804490071) with 14.7 charging voltage available. But it's around $200 here, which really is kinda silly.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
There is a for AGM batteries updated Porsche charger version (part #95804490071) with 14.7 charging voltage available. But it's around $200 here, which really is kinda silly.

@Chilli Actually, here's the complete info:

- The CTEK 3300 is an old model. The CTEK MUS 4.3 is the latest model ... and there are alternate versions of the 4.3 made for older/worn batteries (MUS 4.3 Test & Charge) and cold weather (MUS 4.3 Polar).
- "MUS" stands for "Multi U.S."; it is the 120v version for use in the U.S. For 240v versions, I'd consult the brand's web site while in your country.
- CTEK is a Swedish company. It basically invented the modern 'smart' trickle charger back in the early 1990s.
- The MUS 4.3 is re-branded to be the OEM battery charger for the following car manufacturers: Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lamborghini, Chevrolet (Corvette), Aston Martin. Other CTEK charger models are re-branded as the OEM battery charger for Bentley, McLaren, Ferrari, and Maybach, among others.
- The CTEK MUS 4.3 is consistently rated the best battery charger for both passenger vehicles and motorcycles by everyone from Consumer Reports and Wirecutter to Amazon and model-specific forums such as this one.

Finally ... I have a MUS 4.3 hooked up to my BMW right now. It is currently $64 on the 'zon. OP, just get one of those and don't pay 'extra' for the rebranding. It's the exact same product.

·
892 Posts
@Chilli Actually, here's the complete info:

- The CTEK 3300 is an old model. The CTEK MUS 4.3 is the latest model ... and there are alternate versions of the 4.3 made for older/worn batteries (MUS 4.3 Test & Charge) and cold weather (MUS 4.3 Polar).
- "MUS" stands for "Multi U.S."; it is the 120v version for use in the U.S. For 240v versions, I'd consult the brand's web site while in your country.
- CTEK is a Swedish company. It basically invented the modern 'smart' trickle charger back in the early 1990s.
- The MUS 4.3 is re-branded to be the OEM battery charger for the following car manufacturers: Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lamborghini, Chevrolet (Corvette), Aston Martin. Other CTEK charger models are re-branded as the OEM battery charger for Bentley, McLaren, Ferrari, and Maybach, among others.
- The CTEK MUS 4.3 is consistently rated the best battery charger for both passenger vehicles and motorcycles by everyone from Consumer Reports and Wirecutter to Amazon and model-specific forums such as this one.

Finally ... I have a MUS 4.3 hooked up to my BMW right now. It is currently $64 on the 'zon. OP, just get one of those and don't pay 'extra' for the rebranding. It's the exact same product.
That MUS 4.3 unit so far as I've seen is a little more expensive in the U.K though it's possible I could source one cheaper. However neither charger unit shown on the Porsche U.K website matches that particular one. The first option they have matches or at least appears to match my existing unit (possibly updated as I've owned mine for so long). The second unit is a 5 amp charger. Do you by any chance have an idea what model CTEK unit that is & any review feedback?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
That MUS 4.3 unit so far as I've seen is a little more expensive in the U.K though it's possible I could source one cheaper. However neither charger unit shown on the Porsche U.K website matches that particular one. The first option they have matches or at least appears to match my existing unit (possibly updated as I've owned mine for so long). The second unit is a 5 amp charger. Do you by any chance have an idea what model CTEK unit that is & any review feedback?
The first one is definitely a 3300. Not sure about the second "Pro" one ... could be a variation on the MXS 5.0, which is CTEK's latest multi-use, high-voltage model: https://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/mxs-5-0-new-generation-charging/

BTW: The black casing on the Porsche "Pro" model is actually a silicone sleeve that is sold separately for CTEK chargers.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Geeze, this gets complicated. I've got a regular battery minder on my R32...:)

It's interesting that I can find that part number elsewhere, just not on the Suncoast website.

So that's the one you'd recommend? I assume I can get the cable that allows me to charge/maintain via the 12-v plug in the passenger footwell?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have used Deltran Battery Tenders on all my vehicles for years, cars, motorcycles, tractor with zero problems. I installed the pigtail on the battery and routed it up through the slots in the plastic cover in the Frunk. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the CTEK MXS 5.0 here in the UK. I chose this one as the owners manual says you need a charger that can maintain AGM batteries, and the MXS 5.0 has a specific setting for that particular sort of battery.

I've had my 718 Cayman plugged into it since October with no apparent issues. When the weather improves and I start using the 718 again I'll be able to update you on the condition of the battery.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just bought the Ctek C5 Start/Stop battery charger and maintainer plus comfort connect. Ordered from Amazon last night and parcel just arrived ( I’m not even on Amazon Prime ! ).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts