Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 10 year break and relocating to our retirement destination I decided to join the local AX again. I love my 718 Base Boxster in every way, but was surprised by the dead slow response at the start. After pressing the gas pedal down, the car just "rolls" for the first 10-15 feet. After that it picks up really well. Is that normal or unique to my car? I never noticed it before.

I tried to left foot brake and bring up the revs with the right foot, but the result was the same.

What do the AX experts recommend?

Cayman or Boxster?

Manual transmission or PDK?

S with Sport Chrono?

Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
839 Posts
As an expert on all things I know nothing about, I think the launch control with SC is what you seek. I have a manual Cayman with SC and feel the lag sometimes, but generally, I give the car a little rev before releasing the clutch in first and that seems to avoid the lag for the most part. I've never done the launch control with it. There are folks here that autocross so hopefully they will answer soon.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It has been many a decade since I ran an autocross and never in my Cayman, alas. But perhaps I will some day in the not too distant future, the Lord willin' and I'm still here. So I am curious also. That being said, I fall back on various discussions here in 718Forum about whether you can "launch" a PDK car without having SC. The consensus I took out of it was that it worked just fine, perhaps not as well as a car with SC. But a key item was that you had to depress the brake until the Hold light came on before rev'ing the engine, not just try to rev with brake on. I have not tried it. Truth be told, I have zero opportunity, zilch, nada, none, zippo. If I ever get a chance to run another autocross I suppose I should practice it once or twice first.

Those of you who know, this is an opening for you to express your great knowledge and wisdom on the subject.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've autocrossed my Boxster S three times. I have PDK, SC, PVT, PASM. I did not notice a slow start and never started with a launch, just left foot on the brake and right foot positioned over the gas pedal, and a quick transition. I don't think anybody launched their car.

I believe all my runs were in Sport+ with firm PASM engaged. If the surface was not as smooth as it was, then I would run the PASM in the normal mode, and that would be a better match.

Perhaps my S, thus configured and started, had less delay than you experienced - and the courses typically had a turn very soon after the start, so there wasn't really a premium on the initial acceleration. Also, we had a few feet between the starting line and the timer trigger, so that also tempered the benefits of acceleration.

Probably not much difference between PDK and manual, but the small advantage would go to the PDK. Nobody gets to third gear, so at one level all you have to do is get to second and leave it there. However, some people watching me suggested that I shift down (I was doing all manual paddle shifts) to first for a couple of corners, and at that point it was really easier to put the PDK in Drive mode.

I ran everything with PSM fully engaged. Sport Chrono also allows you to access an intermediate, partially reduced level of PSM control, which is something I need to explore. Under some conditions, fully engaged PSM can slow the car down on you, and I know I encountered that in the first autocross.

The fastest guys drove Cayman's - but I think it was the driver and not the car. For these events, I don't think Boxsters are slower cars. You had to run top down, so you might get more sun in your eyes, or rain on you, in a Boxster.

Based on the questions and choices you posed, I'd say the best tool would be a Cayman version of my Boxster S, with PDK and SC, PASM and PTV - but driving ability would play a larger role than the advantages that car might have.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I autocross my CGTS with PDK and find that I get my best standing starts when in Sport+, hitting the Sport Response button when the starter waves the green flag, then flooring the throttle for a second to build some revs and turbo boost before releasing the brake. Most of the time I have to temper the throttle fairly quickly because there's a turn not too far past the starting line, but with this technique the car leaps off the start quite nicely.

I don't know if I'm actually engaging launch control or not (I'm focused on my first mark on the course and not looking at the dash), but I've found this to be dramatically better than just releasing the brake and stomping on the gas at the green flag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone, I tried to hold the brake down hard with my left foot and step on the gas before releasing the brake. It didn't do anything for me. I think a SC is what I need. However, the initial added acceleration may do little to improve my overall time, especially if the first turn comes up quick.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
However, the initial added acceleration may do little to improve my overall time, especially if the first turn comes up quick.
FWIW, I shaved 0.7s off my lap time (on a ~35s course) with this technique, so every little bit helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts