Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
According to my sources, Chevron has the best additives with Shell being a close second. We didn't work for either of those...
I was gonna suggest that the OP's question could only be answered with a non-biased, independent review of fuel brands. But, insider perspective is probably much better than what can be found online. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,567 Posts
I think quality storage is an important aspect and I think now that is probably easier with the type of underground tanks that being used. I suspect that contributed to my experience 30 years ago that I described above. My question is, if premium gas is more finely refined as part of the process wouldn't that net better filtration of solids?

Reactions: DriveInHouston

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi

I’m less than a week into Porsche ownership. 718S Boxster. Loving it.
She’s due a full tank of fuel tomorrow. What are the recommendations for fuel? The car has done about 25,000 miles. I am a previous F Type owner who ran into multiple problems with injectors. Not sure if that was fuel related or car related.
Thoughts? I live between two Shell garages. Do I go standard or VPower?
Bw J
The only gas I put in my 718 is Shell V-Power and it runs fine

·
Registered
892 Posts
Shell really does a great job marketing. Seems that many people really buy into them being the “best” gas.

I think anything top tier is fine but in a pinch I wouldn’t hesitate to put in an off brand. In all my years of driving I have never experienced any gasoline related car issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put Costco premium 92 octane in My BMW 535 series and it runs fine but if I put Shell V-power in it seems to be a little more responsive I would not put Costco premium in my 718 though Not in that high performance motor The funny thing is I have never seen a high performance car at a Costco station

·
Registered
69 Posts
In Germany we have Aral Ultimate 102 Ron, i compared it several times with standard premium 98 Ron and in my opinion it´s worth the extra money, i feel more punch and better throttle respond - special in hot summer days. So this is my fuel tune ;)
With 98 Ron the tailpipes always where blackened with soot - after 500km with Ultimate 102 they are clean.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shell really does a great job marketing. Seems that many people really buy into them being the “best” gas.

I think anything top tier is fine but in a pinch I wouldn’t hesitate to put in an off brand. In all my years of driving I have never experienced any gasoline related car issues.
I wouldn't say Shell gas is just a matter of great marketing. With my previous 2 cars, both of which had their ECU re-tuned, the engine definitely ran the happiest with Shell V-Power, followed by Chevron Ultra 94. Esso / Mobil are both Tier 1 gas as well, but both cars hated Esso / Mobil gas. The engine runs more coarse, it is less happy to rev, and it feels like the ECU is pulling timing. And this occurs consistently whenever I refill the car with Esso / Mobil gas.

Now, in a mass market car with the normal mass market factory ECU tune, perhaps it won't matter. But in something that is more finely tuned, the gas you put into it will make a difference.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I wouldn't say Shell gas is just a matter of great marketing. With my previous 2 cars, both of which had their ECU re-tuned, the engine definitely ran the happiest with Shell V-Power, followed by Chevron Ultra 94. Esso / Mobil are both Tier 1 gas as well, but both cars hated Esso / Mobil gas. The engine runs more coarse, it is less happy to rev, and it feels like the ECU is pulling timing. And this occurs consistently whenever I refill the car with Esso / Mobil gas.

Now, in a mass market car with the normal mass market factory ECU tune, perhaps it won't matter. But in something that is more finely tuned, the gas you put into it will make a difference.
I believe your assessment, I just personally have never felt or experienced any material difference in performance or otherwise with any brand of gas I have used. This goes for both tuned and oem cars I have owned over my lifetime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top Tier gas is actually the real deal. As car engines moved to direct injection, it became necessary to have an "upgraded" detergent package to keep the valves "clean". Before direct injection in cars, port injection would flush the tops of the valves with the fuel/air mixture on the way to the combustion chamber. That is why Honda has a combination of port injection and direct injection in some (all?) of their engines. When I originally heard of Top Tier, I did some research. The first pages showed all the vague marketing language: Blah, blah, blah. Then I hit the page going into the laboratory additive formulas, results measurements, etc. Although I have an engineering degree, I was immediately over my head. What I did discover is how Top Tier was funded and how it would be applied in the field. Four major car companies put millions of dollars into the project. My memory is that the original big 4 were GM, BMW, Toyota, and VW. They not only helped develop the fuel additives that would accomplish what they needed for their new engines, but they also set up a periodic testing system for every gas station nationwide where those particular stations sold Top Tier branded gas. This insured that you got the right additives, primarily for the newer direct injection engines, at any branded station you might visit, whether it happened to be in New Jersey or Nevada. Initially there were only about 5 brands that were committed to Top Tier, Chevron and Shell were 2 of them -- but other major brands such as Mobil were not yet involved. Consumer Reports published a detailed article on Top Tier and started off the article with the question, "Is Top Tier worth the money?" Their answer, before even explaining why, was "Yes." In our Tucson area, Speedway recently bought up a large number of stations, most of which sold Top Tier. There was a large article in our local paper about this corporate purchase, about the stated policy of Speedway to NOT offer Top Tier gas, and about the numerous mechanics in town who were strongly advising their clients (some of whom had already had engine rebuilds for not using Top Tier) to NOT use Speedway. I have found nothing anywhere that says Top Tier is just marketing hype. Remember, the whole effort was started by car companies, not petroleum companies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in Alaska and the highest octane gas we have available is 90 weather it’s shell, Costco, chevron etc.. I’d really like to do a Apr tune on the Gts I’m purchasing but see that they want 93 when tuned. Apr suggests not using any sort of ocatne boost. Any advice on what I might be able to do and still keep the tune safe?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts