Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new order in for BGTS 4.0 the last time I spoke to my dealer I was told an allocation is likely to be the last quarter of 2023. I’m interested to hear from others if they have a new order and when they anticipate delivery?

Rather than wait for the new one I was lucky to find the one pictured secondhand but there’s not many around it seems. I’ve noticed that there are very few BGTS 4.0’s for sale secondhand in fact currently there is only 2 in the UK compared to the CGTS 4.0 which there are 23. I’m just interested to understand the demand for the 4.0L BGTS
compared to the CGTS4.0 which there are more.
I read that there are just over 100 BGTS registered on the UK (source is from an earlier post on new registrations) so quite low compared to many of the other models.

Interested to hear anyones comments.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Personally I just don’t think that PORSCHE made as many Boxsters as Caymans. I don’t think it’s anything to do with demand either but someone somewhere deep with PORSCHE definitely knows why.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I placed an order for a BGTS 4.0 in May 2021 and finally got an allocation exactly 12 months later. The target delivery timing is November 2022. When I was chatting with my SA in January this year they confirmed that lead times for Boxsters were typically around 12 months longer than for Caymans. As mentioned above, for whatever reason, Boxster volumes are just lower.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In the US, the same corresponding Boxster model is $2.1k higher than its Cayman counterpart across all the various models from Base up to GTS
(when you get to Spyder vs. GT4, then it flips around where the coupe is more expensive)

the other factor might be with the UK weather, more buyers opt for the coupe vs. cabriolet - more use in all the weather conditions vs. the wet days, which there are plenty of there

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just a guess, but perhaps the additional electronics required for a powered soft top have meant they need to restrict supply because of chip/component shortages. Frankly I doubt we'll find out any time soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So, did you buy the car in the picture?

An allocation at the end of next year sounds scarily close to the end of production for this generation of the 718.
Yes I bought it about a month ago, it’s 1 year old with 5000 miles on the clock. It’s highly spec’d, it has the GTS pack, leather steering column/stitching, power steering etc and cost £83k which pretty much matched the new list price inc the optional extras. So I paid slightly over but then you can’t get one at the moment and there’s currently only 2 BGTS 4.0 for sale secondhand in the UK.

I have a £3k deposit on a new one and I’m now wondering if it’s worth hanging on for a new one and to just keep this one (if an allocation does come up?) as it ticks most of my boxes. It’s a manual but I quite like that, it’s more engaging, obviously less performance than the PDK.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes I bought it about a month ago, it’s 1 year old with 5000 miles on the clock. It’s highly spec’d, it has the GTS pack, leather steering column/stitching, power steering etc and cost £83k which pretty much matched the new list price inc the optional extras. So I paid slightly over but then you can’t get one at the moment and there’s currently only 2 BGTS 4.0 for sale secondhand in the UK.

I have a £3k deposit on a new one and I’m now wondering if it’s worth hanging on for a new one and to just keep this one (if an allocation does come up?) as it ticks most of my boxes. It’s a manual but I quite like that, it’s more engaging, obviously less performance than the PDK.
Manual has a higher top speed than PDK :devilish: so, "less performance" is really about what you want from it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Manual has a higher top speed than PDK :devilish: so, "less performance" is really about what you want from it.
The whole speed thing shouldn't really be that relevant to anyone here. Almost none of us will ever hit the top speed in the vehicle PDK or manual. And if we really cared about the 0-60 time we'd save $20k and get a new Corvette.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m not all interested in top speed, acceleration is fun but we all know the NA isn’t the quickest, the turbo 4 pots are quicker off the mark. However I do love the sound of that flat 6 and the overall driving experience. Enjoy your weekend drives I’m off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I placed an order for a BGTS 4.0 in May 2021 and finally got an allocation exactly 12 months later. The target delivery timing is November 2022. When I was chatting with my SA in January this year they confirmed that lead times for Boxsters were typically around 12 months longer than for Caymans. As mentioned above, for whatever reason, Boxster volumes are just lower.
Interesting - I'd love to unpack that a little. Did you get a sense of what exactly the SA was referring to as longer 'lead times'? As in it takes longer (by a year) from order to allocation? From order to delivery? Perhaps even the unspoken, "At our dealership, we have a huge waiting list for Boxsters, less so for Caymans...."

Any idea?

Cheers,
Luke

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
819 Posts
not overly sure this statement is the correct and apologies in advance if it is.
the pdk version is both quicker and faster, imho.
Based on the information from the Porsche website, the PDK is quicker (4.0 vs 4.5 sec/100 km/hr) and slightly faster (293 vs 288 km/hr). Not sure that anyone misses the 5 km/hr.

However, based on real life data, it's only about 70% of the fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interesting - I'd love to unpack that a little. Did you get a sense of what exactly the SA was referring to as longer 'lead times'? As in it takes longer (by a year) from order to allocation? From order to delivery? Perhaps even the unspoken, "At our dealership, we have a huge waiting list for Boxsters, less so for Caymans...."

Any idea?

Cheers,
Luke
The context was that if a new customer walked into any UK dealer as of January 2022 , Porsche GB had given the dealers guidance on the expected lead times (from order to delivery) to be quoted for any given model. For a CGTS 4.0 they were quoting Q4 2022 and for BGTS 4.0 it was Q4 2023. I enquired as to why the difference was so great but didn’t get a clear answer. My view is that (at least for the UK) fewer Boxsters are produced and the relative demand is higher, leading to extended waiting times. The lower Boxster volumes has been demonstrated by a recent post on here breaking down UK 718 volumes by derivative.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts