Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking for a secure way to carry a mountain bike have a look at the Bird Automotive one. Mine finally arrived last week at it was worth the wait. I didn‘t want to use my Saris bones one because it marks the paintwork and given a Cayman in Singapore costs >3x the price in the USA 😥 I didn’t want to take the risk. Another advantage of the rack is you can access the trunk while the bike is on the car, and when the rack is removed the receivers are almost unnoticeable. Highly recommended and easy to self-install (of course the Porsche Dealer ”cannot install anything that isn’t an approved Porsche part”…)
C600BBD1-F8C3-456C-A62C-387876B8A1E5.jpeg
26FA7665-908B-4104-835F-59A17B456D72.jpeg
26FA7665-908B-4104-835F-59A17B456D72.jpeg
F775F7D2-7FCF-4F25-A0AA-5509359D050C.jpeg
58178E7E-23EF-493F-8F4C-4B3B637275DB.jpeg

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nice functional rack! Did you perform the install and, if so, how long did it take? In addition, what is the maximum bike weight rating? Thanks for posting and safe riding!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specs say it is rated up to 45kg - feels very solid so I easily believe this. As you can see from the mounting points for the receivers under the car, they mount to very secure parts of the car with strong bolts. It took about 30mins to mount the receiver but that was with the car on low ramps and with my not yet healed shoulder rotator cuff injury!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Looks great, can you show a pic of the trunk open please and also to show where the top straps are attached?

any thoughts on the top straps giving friction marks on their way into the trunk?

might get one of these and an old bike so I look active 😉😊

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Straps attach to any of the luggage rack D-loops (I have used the ones closest to seats - see pix). There is a rubberized sheath over the high quality tie down straps which stops friction marks (anyway, with spoiler back in the down position the Straps down really move - everything under some tension). Can’t comment on whether it might help you look active - I’m uncertain whether the pity looks I get are because old git like me has bright yellow sports car, or is still riding a mountain bike….

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very cool set up.
I looked around and hadn't seen that one and went with the guru rack which I really like but is more of a hassle to install.
Just got it together so haven't put a bike rack on it yet, but it's very, very solid 1.25" receiver.

Will take some pics with the rack on this weekend, but here's how the license plate slides down to reveal the hitch. Invisible otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Very cool set up.
I looked around and hadn't seen that one and went with the guru rack which I really like but is more of a hassle to install.
Just got it together so haven't put a bike rack on it yet, but it's very, very solid 1.25" receiver.

Will take some pics with the rack on this weekend, but here's how the license plate slides down to reveal the hitch. Invisible otherwise.
Like the Guru rack idea best. What is Guru Rack’s maximum weight capacity?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good question - I plan on using my 1-up rack with one mtb, but there's a thread on Rennli*t with a double rack and two mtn bikes on it as well.
The owner was great with all my questions so I'm sure would reply quickly.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
516 Posts
If anyone is looking for a secure way to carry a mountain bike have a look at the Bird Automotive one. Mine finally arrived last week at it was worth the wait. I didn‘t want to use my Saris bones one because it marks the paintwork and given a Cayman in Singapore costs >3x the price in the USA 😥 I didn’t want to take the risk. Another advantage of the rack is you can access the trunk while the bike is on the car, and when the rack is removed the receivers are almost unnoticeable. Highly recommended and easy to self-install (of course the Porsche Dealer ”cannot install anything that isn’t an approved Porsche part”…)
View attachment 33188 View attachment 33189 View attachment 33186 View attachment 33187 View attachment 33186 View attachment 33186 View attachment 33187 View attachment 33188 View attachment 33189
Straps attach to any of the luggage rack D-loops (I have used the ones closest to seats - see pix). There is a rubberized sheath over the high quality tie down straps which stops friction marks (anyway, with spoiler back in the down position the Straps down really move - everything under some tension). Can’t comment on whether it might help you look active - I’m uncertain whether the pity looks I get are because old git like me has bright yellow sports car, or is still riding a mountain bike…. View attachment 33215 View attachment 33216 View attachment 33217 View attachment 33218
Old git! I love it. I must be older. Several years ago I got a really nice tricked out mountain/trail bike. Was living in the Florida Keys at the time. Mounted up and immediatly road off into the mangroves. Gave the bike to a friends son and bought a recumbent trike. Put 6000 miles on it in 4 years until leg surgery laid me up for the last four years. Don't think I can get a reumbent into/onto a boxster. :ROFLMAO: . Just started riding again. It feels great!
Your mounting system looks great. Some folk will probably wonder what those mini-exhaust pipes are for but.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts