Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been exploring different suspension options for the vehicle. My Cayman S came with standard suspension and I currently have the H&R springs - which gave it a bit aggressive drop for my taste ( i could feel the same with Techart). So if i were to do another suspension install it'll be the one forever until the car blows up or the wheels falls off ( not due inproper installation but driving it for miles and miles and miles)

My choices are the Porsche Sport (basically the X72 from 981) or Bilstein B16

I really dont care much about the adjust-ability but i want something set and forget
I do love the SPASM height on our cars though.

Anyways, has anyone have these system on their cars? and if so, how is the ride like on streets and crappy streets and mountains and driveways?

and will i need to update my medical insurance coverage to cover spinal re-alignment?

Thank You in advance

· Vendor
391 Posts
Have you considered an Ohlins Road and Track kit?

· Registered
1,174 Posts
There is also the KW HAS kit from the 981 that is also fitment for the 718 like all the 918 spring kits. The KW has adjustability on the front but fixed height on the rear and will not affect your PASM if you have it. They are quite a popular kit amongst various makes such as 911s and M3s, more for aesthetic improvement rather than performance.

Ohlins is a proper coilover and one of the best in the business and no doubt superior to spring kits but you need to get under the car to adjust it.

The PSS10 is also a true coilover and a quality unit but again I think you need to get under the car to adjust it.

If you don't have PASM then your options are much greater.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i guess there are a lot of options out there, but how do those ride though?
My car will probably most likely not set laptimes on a track or anything but a good performing suspension for streets and spirited driving through canyons or something

i selected bilstein because i guess its more available and my daily has bilstein suspension and i love it

· Vendor
391 Posts
The off the shelf Ohlins R&T kit rides really nice. Our Track Packages run stiffer springs and custom valving and are really intended for dual purpose cars. So I'd suggest off the shelf for you. We have them in stock :D

· Registered
1,099 Posts
I am looking into the Bilstiein B16 as well. I have the standard suspension (non-PASM) so a drop is definitely welcome but I am not a fan of lowering springs on oem shocks. I like that the B16 kit lowers as little as 10mm as I am certainly not looking to go too low, just reduce the fender gap a little closer to the PASM ride height. Obviously the 718 is a small market so I am not surprised no one on here has an feedback on this system but I know Bilstein is a top notch company and their PSS10 units generally have very favorable feedback on other cars, especially for street performance. The price is very reasonable as well.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
My issue with the Bilstein B16 and PSS10s or Damptronic and other spring kits like Techart and H&R is I believe they use a progressive (nonlinear) spring. This is great for comfort and often more comfortable than stock, whilst giving a little bit of extra performance particularly with adjustable damping. However, my experience is the progressive spring can be a little bouncy and unpredictable at the limit of a fast sweeper. You can compensate by turning up the damping but then the suspension gets too hard. Cars with PASM will also help.

I think for fast street use and occassional track the Bilstein kits are still good and still very compfortable but if you are performance oriented better to look for more linear spring kits/coil overs such as Ohlins R/T or some of the KW kits. I like the look of the Tractive RT kit in that you can use your PASM controller or a DSC to still dynamically vary the damping, but it is a little expensive.

· Registered
157 Posts
Bilstein makes a good damper but there a better choices budget permitting.

X-73 package is splendid and easily retrofitted.

I like Öhlins as they are the best available.
Getting to two decorations atop the big O helps makes them even more beautiful morsels.
We rebuild and revalve as needed. As delivered isn’t superb but that’s easily rectified.

Always request dynamometer verification from any shock salesman and vendor as verified and validated proof of quality and performance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.