Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my 718 did not come with PASM, I am wondering is it worth the $3K to buy the Bilstein system, is the difference that noticeable?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was in the same boat and looking at the Bilstein PSS10 kit when I wanted to lower my 718. Unfortunately you find many, if any reviews for it on the 718 platform. After discussing with my local tuner shop they recommended I just get some lowering springs instead and call it a day. I ended up installing the Eibach springs and I am very happy with the drop. If you are looking for a more complete package though, seems like the Ohlins R&T setup is beloved by most (but its pricey).

·
Registered
932 Posts
I agree with the above, depends on what you want to achieve. Asthetic improvement then go for lowering springs and arguably with the Eibach you might get an improvement in performance also. Although a lot of these lowering springs including the Bilstein kit use progressive rather than linear springs so they compromise on performance and predictability for comfort.

I think Bilstein also have some sort of damptronic system so you might be able to get some adjustability in damper rate with the press of a button if that's something you are looking for. Otherwise Ohlins R&T is the performance choice.

With PASM there is a noticeable difference between normal and sport damper settings and it is also a variable damping system which adjusts every 100ms or so depending on the road conditions and driving style/g-force. All the after market options will not have this so not really a lot of benefit over your base suspension in terms of damper valving technology with the exception of perhaps the ohlins.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the PSS10s on my Audi TT. I loved them compared to the stock suspension or the Audi Magride. I found them more comfortable than stock on a lower setting, and they were awesome on the track (I did like 20 track days on them). But, as gatorfast said, not a lot of reviews, most folks going for the Ohlins which to get a more comfortable setup (different springs), looks like a $3600 option vs the PSS10's $2200. For me and my very lightly optioned CPO'ed base cayman, that $1400 is a big difference.

But for you main question of "is there a noticeable difference?", the answer is "**** yes!"

·
Registered
88 Posts
They are price comparable with the Bilsteins and decouple the ride height from spring pre-load.
Oh, I thought the price of the Ohlins was 50% more than the Bilsteins. I see the Bilsteins everywhere for $2200, but the Ohlins for never less than $3100. Do you sell the Ohlins for $2200 or so?

·
Vendor
308 Posts
Ohlins aren't discounted anywhere. OP mentioned $3k, which is what base Ohlins sell for.

Oh, I thought the price of the Ohlins was 50% more than the Bilsteins. I see the Bilsteins everywhere for $2200, but the Ohlins for never less than $3100. Do you sell the Ohlins for $2200 or so?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts