Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone cleaned and re-oiled the BMC air filter for their 718 yet?

Anyone have any advice about the oil application?

I followed BMC’s instructions (which are pretty clear) all the way until the point where you have to apply the oil.

The instructions that came with the BMC cleaning kit say to oil both sides of the filter. BMC’s website has a youtube video that instructs you to only oil 1 side of the filter.

I am leaning towards only lightly oiling the bottom side of the filter (as it would sit in the airbox). This appears to be what is shown on BMC’s youtube video.

I’ve read that vehicles can experience mass air flow sensor issues if the air filter has too much oil.

I pulled this filter out after 13,000 miles, so it was only “lightly soiled”. I have the liquid oil in the drip bottle, not the spray can type oil (if that makes a difference).

I know some people prefer the standard non-oiled paper filters, but I plan to do a stage 2 tune and pretty much all the tuning companies require the BMC filter with the ECU tune.

Any advice regarding the oil application would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you.

297 Posts
Oiled filters work by using larger pores to let more air through. The function of the oil is to trap particles that may otherwise make it through. If you add too little oil, you minimize filtration. If you add too much oil, you are reducing the flow and possibly ingesting oil through the intake tract, but it's never really an issue unless you completely soak the filter.

You should use just enough oil to have it be slightly tacky to the touch, never to the point where it's "drenched" in oil. Oil the side that receives air flow. Allow the filter to rest so that you get an equal distribution of oil through the filter.

-Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Mike. I’ve only ever seen positive comments and reviews regarding SOUL’s products & services.:)

I believe the bottom side of the filter (as the filter sits in the air box) would be the “receive the air flow” side based on the attached diagrams I found online. Please let me know if I am misinterpreting something.

After putting some more thought into the re-oiling, I do think I’m going to lightly oil both sides of the filter.

I applied the detergent and water rinse to both sides of the filter. Therefore, in order to have the entire filter return to the uniform dark red color that it had in the unused state, I believe both sides of the filter will need a little oil.

Per your response, I think very lightly oiling both sides will be fine as long as I don’t go overboard with the liquid oil bottle. I only expect to use a total of 1/4 - 1/3 of the oil in the cleaning kit.

I’m going to oil the filter on one side and let it sit for 24-48 hours wrapped in paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Then, flip the filter over and add a small amount of oil to the parts that are still not the factory dark red color. Wrap the filter in new paper towels, and then examine the filter again after another 24-48 hours.

I’m glad I bought a 2nd BMC air filter to use in the car while I am regenerating the 1st filter.

I would advise anyone who plans to regenerate their BMC filter to buy a 2nd one so you can take your time.

But then again, I might just be a little paranoid about cleaning the filter because I love my 718 so much…...;)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts