Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I dropped off my car at a detailer to get some work done while I was away on vacation. I told him to take the battery out of the key & lock it in the boot, thinking I could use Car Connect to unlock it on the way back home. Wrong. While you can lock the car via the app, you can't unlock it. Car Connect tech support apparently can't do it either. So I ended up making an hour+ round trip to go home, get the other key & retrieve the car. Not a huge big deal, but just be aware. I guess I should've tried it at home first, but I figured if there was a "lock" button, it would change to "unlock" when the car was locked. Nopes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The reason there isn't an unlock option through car connect is because if your car connect account was hacked the hacker would then be able to unlock the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, but IMHO that's a poor excuse. Many other cars with remote apps have this feature, not to mention services like OnStar, etc. Think of all the apps/services we wouldn't have today for fear of "if hacked".

·
892 Posts
Sorry but I entirely disagree, that's not a poor excuse at all & it's an excellent reason. Even if it were possible I suspect it's a feature that would be of very little use to the majority of us & I certainly wouldn't want it. To be honest I'm not a big fan of all this app garbage anyway & can manage quite adequately without any of it. I didn't have the connect+ facilities on my previous Porsche's & if I'd had a choice (connect+ is standard in the U.K along with a 2 year subscription) I wouldn't have had it on this one. I tried the app, didn't deem it even worth having, disconnected it from the car & removed it from my phone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe, but IMHO that's a poor excuse. Many other cars with remote apps have this feature, not to mention services like OnStar, etc. Think of all the apps/services we wouldn't have today for fear of "if hacked".
I only know BMW's similar app/system, and they don't do remote unlock either. Most people can't even be bothered to put a 4-6 digit unlock code on their phones. That's why.

BMW does offer remote unlocking - not in the app - but one has to call the 1800 number of their "Concierge Service" and go through a bunch of security verification questions. Good system, in my opinion. For the odd occasion one would need a remote unlock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You're free to disagree. I use the remote Tesla app all the time to remotely unlock the car, adjust the climate control, or even "start" it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the Porsche Car Connect App on my Macan for a year. After the free trial period ran out I didn't subscribe. I didn't find it very useful for me. Quite frankly, I just didn't use it. The information it provided I could get when I was in the vehicle and didn't really see the need to have it on my phone as well. Maybe I'm just not that tech savvy.:confused:

·
892 Posts
You're free to disagree. I use the remote Tesla app all the time to remotely unlock the car, adjust the climate control, or even "start" it.
You appear to be rather missing the point. All of the electronics & hardware are already on the car & it would have cost Porsche nothing to have added remote unlock via the app if they had so wished to do so. It cannot therefore be simply viewed as a poor excuse that it isn't offered, but rather a deliberate choice. It's not a feature that I believe the vast majority would either use or even want. The BMW system as highlighted by "winter.zed" makes sense, compromising a cars security by allowing it to be opened via a phone app does not. Allowing remote start via an app even less so (though surely that's remote enable rather than start on a Tesla).

·
892 Posts
I had the Porsche Car Connect App on my Macan for a year. After the free trial period ran out I didn't subscribe. I didn't find it very useful for me. Quite frankly, I just didn't use it. The information it provided I could get when I was in the vehicle and didn't really see the need to have it on my phone as well. Maybe I'm just not that tech savvy.:confused:
Nah, It's not a case of whether you're tech savvy or not. Like you say it's easy to obtain the useful information you want from other sources & I'll probably not re-new my subscription when it runs out either. Some of the features on the phone apps of both Porsche & the aforementioned Tesla are little more than gimmicks. How did people manage without being able to remotely sound their car horns, flash the lights or fold in the wing mirrors eh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually use the unlock app quite often. Sometimes I go down to grab something from my car in my garage. I realize I forgot my keys upstairs, so I unlock it with my phone. As for the cost, it's not a no cost situation to implement something like that. It's most likely due to the demographic of people who are purchasing the cars. The more people want it, they will introduce it into the car. Generally tech stuff in Porsche's come later than they do in other cars. My Macan still struggles to connect to my phone, so I'm not entirely surprised. If they would allow for it, i would definitely use it. I turn on the air conditioner in my wife's tesla all the time before we get back to it. It is super convenient to not have a hot car when you get back.

·
892 Posts
Obviously to add unlock at a later date would require some software alterations. But if they'd wanted to add unlock at the same time as they added lock then I don't really see why it would have cost them any extra. After all, you can do a whole multitude of things via the app, some of which are pretty much entirely useless & they saw fit to add those. It certainly wasn't down to cost to leave an unlock feature off. I believe they simply chose not to add it for security reasons. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to where you believe all these additional costs would come from? I've never personally had an issue with any Porsche & multiple phones (including usage in cars I've borrowed), so maybe I've just been lucky on that front. I do know the PCM units are sometimes a little troublesome or they wouldn't have so many updates, but fingers crossed. You'll never convince me of the worth of remote unlock via the app (I also turn off my mobile as soon as I enter the house & then don't carry it around with me). No offence but if Tesla put remote unlock on their cars via their app that's up to them. Fortunately it's not a car I'd ever be interested in buying so it's of no concern. I just hope that Porsche & BMW never do. (The facility is there on a BMW anyway but for security reasons only available via the concierge as "winter.zed" has already pointed out).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, for someone who couldn't care less about "apps", you seem to really care about the app.

You won't draw me any closer under the bridge.

·
892 Posts
Not at all, I just wouldn't want Porsche to compromise security for something I regard as being totally unnecessary. We'll just have to agree to differ.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm not too sure. I mean with or without it, if a hacker wanted to get into the car, start it up, and leave, there are other ways of getting around to it other than hacking the app. The tech these guys are using now is ridiculous and it's a constant adaptation process they go through. If there's a will, there's a way, and with technology, there will always be a back door. So, why not just have the convenience of it for the owner and keep it all happy cheery?

Just my opinion though, not trying to stir the pot or anything.

·
892 Posts
It's quite alright Lurker & should you ever feel you do want to stir the pot, then by all means feel free to do so. I actually gave you the thumbs up because the last part of your comment made me laugh.;)

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I'm not too sure. I mean with or without it, if a hacker wanted to get into the car, start it up, and leave, there are other ways of getting around to it other than hacking the app. The tech these guys are using now is ridiculous and it's a constant adaptation process they go through. If there's a will, there's a way, and with technology, there will always be a back door. So, why not just have the convenience of it for the owner and keep it all happy cheery?

Just my opinion though, not trying to stir the pot or anything.
This. If someone wants your car bad enough, they're gonna get it. However, you can do things to deter would-be thieves.

For instance: I purposefully did NOT order Entry & Drive on my car because I want to make it more difficult for a thief to get in using a transponder/repeater. I have a BMW without keyless entry now -- and the lack of it has saved my car from being broken into in my condo building not once but twice in the past two years. The cars that were victimized all had keyless entry systems and showed no signs of forced entry.

To me, an app is inherently safer and more complex for someone unauthorized to crack (i.e. protect access with a passcode/fingerprint scanner/upcoming retinal scanners), and I get why an unlock feature could be desirable. I also foresee a day when a car key will be totally unnecessary -- encrypted NFC on a smartphone will be all that's needed. But ... not for me.

Reactions: Lurker

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
If someone wants your car bad enough, they're gonna get it. However, you can do things to deter would-be thieves.
<snip>
I also foresee a day when a car key will be totally unnecessary -- encrypted NFC on a smartphone will be all that's needed. But ... not for me.
Totally agree--let's make it more difficult rather than less.

Eventually the car will start like my new iPhone--by fingerprint (or retinal scan).

Greg

·
Registered
254 Posts
The crazy part is we're really not that far away from that. I still remember the old days when you used to buy a car and you'd get two keys. One to unlock the doors, one to start it hahaha!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts