Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get the 2-tone Black & Bordeaux interior on my 718, and I'm stuck on which trim to go with it.

I actually like how the base silver trim looks. The 3 colors go really nicely together. (Screen shots from this Straight Pipes video included below)

But in some shots I think the silver trim is too bright and stands out too much. I'm considering the option to paint it GT Silver, the same as the exterior. This would hopefully produce a similar tri-tone effect, but not be quite as bright, shiny and plasticy?

Does anyone have pictures of this combo? My concern is that it will no longer match all the other silver plastic in the car, which incluces to door handles, steering wheel inserts, shift knob, etc.

At this point I'm leaning toward keeping the base trim. It matches the rest and it's free. Meh.

Gear shift Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Automotive design
Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

· Registered
4,313 Posts
Here are some videos I found of various trims with Bordeaux & Black interior

Base plastic silver trim

Carbon fiber trim

Brushed black aluminum trim
‘22 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0 - Walkaround and drive
Black Brushed Aluminium every day all day… wish I could show you. Not shiny and looks very sharp, unlike the standard trim, which reflects too much sunlight and IMHO looks terribly cheap.

Reactions: tcaliguire

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black Brushed Aluminium every day all day… wish I could show you. Not shiny and looks very sharp, unlike the standard trim, which reflects too much sunlight and IMHO looks terribly cheap.
I thought I wanted that at first, but I started liking the tri-tone look.

Do you have the black brushed aluminum? Have any pics?

It's in the one video I linked above:

· Registered
813 Posts
I want to get the 2-tone Black & Bordeaux interior on my 718, and I'm stuck on which trim to go with it.

I actually like how the base silver trim looks. The 3 colors go really nicely together. (Screen shots from this Straight Pipes video included below)

But in some shots I think the silver trim is too bright and stands out too much. I'm considering the option to paint it GT Silver, the same as the exterior. This would hopefully produce a similar tri-tone effect, but not be quite as bright, shiny and plasticy?

Does anyone have pictures of this combo? My concern is that it will no longer match all the other silver plastic in the car, which incluces to door handles, steering wheel inserts, shift knob, etc.

At this point I'm leaning toward keeping the base trim. It matches the rest and it's free. Meh.

View attachment 51938 View attachment 51939 View attachment 51940
This is the interior I have and I don't find it too bright at all.

· Registered
4,313 Posts
I thought I wanted that at first, but I started liking the tri-tone look.

Do you have the black brushed aluminum? Have any pics?

It's in the one video I linked above:
Our GTS trim is silver brushed, but now believe our interior would look better with black brushed.

Incidentally, we had the standard silver dash trim on our ’17 BS …. too reflective, too shiny and too plasticy. Thus, brushed was the first must have option when we ordered the BGTS.

Reactions: matto

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I rule out the base plastic, my leading candidates are:

1. GT Silver paint
2. Black Brushed aluminum

What is the material that gets painted when you match your external paint? Is it aluminum? Or the stock plastic? Are people generally happy with the painted trim?

Still hoping someone has pics of GT silver painted trim they can share!

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Here's images of the Black / Bordeaux with brushed aluminum trim - its not as shiny as the standard metal trim but you get a silver metal tone, and a more 'modern' metal finish

also a close of another interior with brushed aluminum
Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part
Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Radio Automotive design

· Registered
249 Posts
I would definitely go with either Brushed Aluminum or the Black Brushed Aluminum. These are actually aluminum. The standard trim is chrome plated plastic and reflects like crazy when the top is down. My CPO had the standard trim and I swapped it out for Brushed Aluminum, even though the door cards are still the shiny plastic.

All the more reason to choose the desired trim from the factory. I would not do carbon fiber unless also doing the door sills, gear knob and steering wheel in carbon.

The Brushed Aluminum would really play off of the GT silver metallic. My car has the black/chalk two tone leather. No reflections or glare.
White Automotive design Gesture Motor vehicle Gear shift
Jeans Car White Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would definitely go with either Brushed Aluminum or the Black Brushed Aluminum. These are actually aluminum. The standard trim is chrome plated plastic and reflects like crazy when the top is down. My CPO had the standard trim and I swapped it out for Brushed Aluminum, even though the door cards are still the shiny plastic.
Thanks. A lot of folks seem to be agreeing with this.

What about the painted trim? Do you know what material that is? And do you think gt silver would be too bright?

I like the brushed aluminum in darker interiors but for some reason I'm not convinced it works as well with the black and red interior.

· Registered
113 Posts
I have a G/T Silver Cayman with full leather interior (all black though) and I went with the interior trim painted with exterior color option - because the standard trim was too shiny, reflective and bright for my taste as well. When the car is out in the light, the differences in silvers is not noticeable and I'm glad I chose this option. The only time I might notice it is when the light is low and I really look at it for awhile. The area around the shifter was a little too much silver in one place (for me) so I added a black decal. If you have PDK you can also get a leather boot from Suncoast to cover the same area as another option. Below I included pics with varying amounts and directions of light and with at least two different silvers. (The camera and eyes don't always agree, but I tried...) Hope this helps.

Car Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Plant Gear shift Motor vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door Automotive design

Gear shift Car Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive wheel system Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Attachments

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a G/T Silver Cayman with full leather interior (all black though) and I went with the interior trim painted with exterior color option - because the standard trim was too shiny, reflective and bright for my taste as well.
Awesome thank you. And you are happy with it? What is the material behind the paint? Is it aluminum or plastic?

· Registered
113 Posts
Awesome thank you. And you are happy with it? What is the material behind the paint? Is it aluminum or plastic?
I'm very happy with it. I assume it is plastic but it does have a metallic feel to it. With the metallic type paint and hard as nails clear coat on it, it looks so much more fit and finish than the standard trim. I have no regrets with my choice and I like how it brings the outside color into the cabin.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm getting the Black / Bordeaux interior with black brushed aluminum trim - just like that Averturine Green Boxster GTS video in post #4 in this thread

either way
Painted in exterior color - GT silver
Brushed Aluminum
Black Brushed Aluminum

will look better than the standard 'plasti-chrome' trim - IMO

· Registered
786 Posts

View attachment 51938 View attachment 51939 View attachment 51940
It's your car but I think it looks really good as is. The metal works with the colored leather very well. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts