Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took delivery of a 718 GTS 4.0. I love everything about the car except for the horrible sound system. I opted for the Bose system but it still sounds like crap, especially the vocals and treble. I reached out to Musicar that has made plug and play upgrades for our cars for many years. They have several audio upgrades from Stage 1, replacing the dash tweeters to Stage 3, replacing the amplifier, speakers and sound deadening the doors. I opted for Stage 1 that gives you the most bang for buck. Labor and parts cost $850.00

This simple upgrade totally transformed the listening experience. Even the OEM base speakers sound better because they no longer complete with the horrible OEM tweeters. I’ll probably stop at Stage 1 since the subsequent stages are significantly more expensive, provide less improvement per dollar spent and require a bit more surgery.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find the Bose to be more than adequate in mine, for the type of music I listen to it performs well enough.

With such a small cabin, it’s always going to be difficult as there are only so many speaker placement options

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've got a 2.0L Cayman Base and it produces so much road noise that I can't imagine enjoying listening to music, and that's after disabling the silly noise making system Porsche installed for some reason.

I listen to news via my phone and Car Play and the system is OK for that, but in spite of having several options to play music I never use any of them.

To me, paying extra (quite a bit extra actually) for a fancy stereo system in my nosy car makes about as much sense as trying to listen to my home stereo system while my my wife runs the vacuum cleaner as the dogs are barking like crazy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wait, did I just hear someone on a Porsche forum refer to "Genesis" as if it's an actual car brand? Nevermind, must've been imagining things.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S
54 Posts
I'm also fine with the Bose system, I tweak the setting to as close to my liking as possible, but when you're cranking Slipknot, the little details in sound probably don't make much of a difference. 🤘

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
167 Posts
Holy crap, never really heard of slipknot before (well, maybe once or twice) but I was at the Jeep dealer earlier today and this girl rolls in with an ugly christmas slipknot sweater!!

Outerwear White Cap Jersey Product

I do like my Bose though, good enough for my ears I reckon

·
Registered
49 Posts
I opted for Bose only because I felt having a proper amp in the car, especially a loud car, would be a lot less prone to distortion if I needed to crank the volume (phone calls etc).

·
Registered
2021 718
59 Posts
I also has low expectations so the Bose seems fine given the road noise is loud anyway. All of my prior cars had much meter radios (more horsepower and AWD) but were far less fun to drive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After 18 months in a 2.0 Boxster with the base stereo and a month in a Boxster 25 with Bose my view is that Bose is considerably better once you turn surround sound off. Tyre/Road noise defeats the need for spending any more trying to improve the current set up any further.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts