Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Once upon a time, when racing mountain bikes around these parts, I may have pushed the envelope a little more than was practical or safe. Who in their right mind would cut knobs off tires, remove a few spokes, shave grips, shorten seat posts, remove seat padding, cut handle bars, etc? Okay...I never removed any spokes or drilled holes in my frame, but those things did cross my mind. Regardless, cutting weight became a total obsession, something that earned me the title "King of the Weight Weenies." Did I win a few races? Sure. Was lightness the reason, probably not in almost every case.
When I used to ride bikes I decided that the best place to lose weight was me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
To the OP: Do you like your car, or did you buy it to sell? If you bought a car you like, don’t worry what other people think. I love my T and I’m sticking with it for at least ten years. Will it be worth more then? Doesn’t matter.
Do I like the car? Yes, do I love the car? probably not, do I look a the Cayman GTS and wish I had bought one of those? Yes.

I am not interested in making a pile of money off the car, but I do want it to be worth reasonable money in 3 or 4 years time.

I guess as a first time Porsche owner I didn’t really appreciate how dependable the cars value is based on its mileage, I know this is related to all cars but it seems to be multiple many times in relation to Porsche. The drivers car, you can’t actually drive. Anything above 5k a year seems to be unacceptable

·
Registered
2021 Cayman T
8 Posts
Do I like the car? Yes, do I love the car? probably not, do I look a the Cayman GTS and wish I had bought one of those? Yes.

I am not interested in making a pile of money off the car, but I do want it to be worth reasonable money in 3 or 4 years time.

I guess as a first time Porsche owner I didn’t really appreciate how dependable the cars value is based on its mileage, I know this is related to all cars but it seems to be multiple many times in relation to Porsche. The drivers car, you can’t actually drive. Anything above 5k a year seems to be unacceptable
The question is acceptable to who? In my opinion, Porsches are meant to be used and kept, and the T is so good that there really is no reason to get a “better” one. If you put 80,000 miles on in ten years (like I will), will you regret it having a lower selling price then? I drove mine on the track ten days after buying it, and will do ten track days per year. One hundred track days in ten years will hurt resale. But I am enjoying the car and doing it the way I want.

It may all be moot. If money is an issue, the GTS 4.0 is going for really big bucks, so you probably don’t want to trade. If money is not an issue, get the GTS and don’t worry about resale.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
The question is acceptable to who? In my opinion, Porsches are meant to be used and kept, and the T is so good that there really is no reason to get a “better” one. If you put 80,000 miles on in ten years (like I will), will you regret it having a lower selling price then? I drove mine on the track ten days after buying it, and will do ten track days per year. One hundred track days in ten years will hurt resale. But I am enjoying the car and doing it the way I want.

It may all be moot. If money is an issue, the GTS 4.0 is going for really big bucks, so you probably don’t want to trade. If money is not an issue, get the GTS and don’t worry about resale.
For me the car will be something I own for 3 or 4 years, I have never owned any other cars for any longer so I don’t see why this would be any different.

There are just too many cars out there that I want to experience to hold on to anything for more the 3 to 4 years.

My previous ownership history has been anything from 6 months to 3.5 years.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman T
8 Posts
For me the car will be something I own for 3 or 4 years, I have never owned any other cars for any longer so I don’t see why this would be any different.

There are just too many cars out there that I want to experience to hold on to anything for more the 3 to 4 years.

My previous ownership history has been anything from 6 months to 3.5 years.
It sounds to me like you like your car, and don't plan on keeping it that long. Selling it right now is probably not good financially, and probably won't be for a couple of years. By then you'll be in your "sell window" and your problem is not a problem any more. I think you are in a good spot, and I would suggest to enjoy the T while you can, without regret, and enjoy the heck out of it until then. You may miss it when it's gone.

Referring back to the "bad press" for the T. It hasn't been that way in the US. The magazine writers here think it may be the "most Porsche" Porsche currently made, in terms of its character and being faithful to its mission. Maybe it's just a more pragmatic view. (But again, who cares?)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
When I used to ride bikes I decided that the best place to lose weight was me.
Sadly, I resemble that remark today and really only worry about my weight. Howeverk, in those days I was riding (extremely hard) and racing 20+ hours per week and couldn't have lost another ounce without subjecting my brain to 30 minutes in a microwave oven. Fun times!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I enjoyed my relatively short ownership of my 718 Boxster T. I wouldn’t however have paid list price for one. I bought my 3,000 mile Dec 2019 69 plate T in October 2020 for a straight £50,000 although paid just under £49,000 as I had a £1300 Porsche GB voucher. The car had a new list of £65,000. I sold it in August 2021 with 6,000 miles to a main dealer for £54,000 ( WBAC valued it at the time at £53,000) who put it on the market for £62,000. The dealer dropped the price to £59,000 after 2 or 3 months and it sold in November. After selling the car I tracked the car value on WBAC and it dropped to a low of £40,000 in late 2021 but has increased this month to £42,000. Prior to me buying my car a business colleague bought a 1 year old manual low spec Boxster T during the early part of Lockdown 1 at a bargain £39,000. If he had sold it last Summer he would have been quids in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I enjoyed my relatively short ownership of my 718 Boxster T. I wouldn’t however have paid list price for one. I bought my 3,000 mile Dec 2019 69 plate T in October 2020 for a straight £50,000 although paid just under £49,000 as I had a £1300 Porsche GB voucher. The car had a new list of £65,000. I sold it in August 2021 with 6,000 miles to a main dealer for £54,000 ( WBAC valued it at the time at £53,000) who put it on the market for £62,000. The dealer dropped the price to £59,000 after 2 or 3 months and it sold in November. After selling the car I tracked the car value on WBAC and it dropped to a low of £40,000 in late 2021 but has increased this month to £42,000. Prior to me buying my car a business colleague bought a 1 year old manual low spec Boxster T during the early part of Lockdown 1 at a bargain £39,000. If he had sold it last Summer he would have been quids in.
That was right at the height of the used car madness, unfortunately everything else was overinflated at that time so any gain made would have been negated by buying something else.

If you didn’t need to replace the car with anything, it was a great position to be in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That was right at the height of the used car madness, unfortunately everything else was overinflated at that time so any gain made would have been negated by buying something else.

If you didn’t need to replace the car with anything, it was a great position to be in.
You are correct. It was crazy and for once I managed to time the original purchase and eventual sale just right. Fortunately I didn’t need to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try a few different retailers. Stock is still quite low and many of the larger volume ones would gladly take it off your hand and at a fair price. Have you done a WeBuyAnyCar check to see what the current value is? I've found them to be a good barometer in regards to trade in value.

Lastly, have a read on this forum and others where the T is concerned. There are quite a few with deposits who are hoping to get one.

Good luck,
P
Exactly!! Me included. Put a deposit down on a Boxster T in Shark Blue almost 3 months ago. Still waiting for an allocation 😤

·
Registered
44 Posts
The one nice option that you can get on the T, but not on the Base or S, are those pinstriped Sport -Tex seats. I love them. Low maintenance, and you don't have to worry about leather creasing and cracking down the road. One niggle with the pinstripe seats: No option to ventilate. You would have to go with the, "Standard Interior in Black with Sport-Tex Seat Centers".... non-pinstripe. :confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
FYI for the same price as the T package, you can opt for the black leather interior (it comes with non-striped black sport-tex seat centers) and I think it's a great option as well if you like leather dash and doors. I love mine.

One niggle with the pinstripe seats: No option to ventilate.
As mentioned, ventilation isn't really needed, but also, the seats are softer and more comfortable without the ventilation system.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For those that want a world-class sports car experience and/but at a true entry-level Porsche experience, the base Cayman is a reachable but still aspirational goal… the $10k step up to the T is not so easy for many, I’m assuming, when in this bucket.

And therefore further highlights the Base models’ appeal/steal.
100% applies to me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went with the T leather interior with red stitching so it's on the seats, the doors and along the trim and the dash. To me it's a great looking GT car interior and works well with the red door pulls.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wut? :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
100% applies to me.
I wouldn't look at it like that. I think there are just as many people who bought a base because it was perfect for them as there are because it was the only one they could afford. Each model leans towards a specific purpose/style. I don't see the Spyder as "better" than a base - depending on it's intended use, it can be worse than a base. Don't laugh, but I was actually cross shopping a new Carrera S (S only because I wanted a MT) and ended up landing on a 718 T :D IE, it wasn't a money thing. It just turned out that the T was perfect for me.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts