Porsche 718 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the T leather interior with red stitching so it's on the seats, the doors and along the trim and the dash. To me it's a great looking GT car interior and works well with the red door pulls.
Beautiful interior. I couldn't justify the cost increase from the standard black interior to the T leather on my build but that's really the way to do a T

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Amen! I was around for the 1973 gas crisis. I was a traveling salesman driving a V-8 Pontiac Grand Prix. MPG mattered. Since those days I don't give a flip about MPG.
I‘ll have to take your word for on that, as I wasn’t even born in 1973🙂

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wouldn't look at it like that. I think there are just as many people who bought a base because it was perfect for them as there are because it was the only one they could afford. Each model leans towards a specific purpose/style. I don't see the Spyder as "better" than a base - depending on it's intended use, it can be worse than a base. Don't laugh, but I was actually cross shopping a new Carrera S (S only because I wanted a MT) and ended up landing on a 718 T :D IE, it wasn't a money thing. It just turned out that the T was perfect for me.
It was exactly the same for me. I looked at all the 718s and the current 911s and always came back to the T. Drove all the 718s as well except for the GT4.

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
51 Posts
I very much appreciate the responses given here by those who love the T. I'm not a track person and I don't have any affinity towards the tradition of the T but I can at least understand the thought process of those who do love it.

As for me, I'm a baller on a budget so I chose a modestly optioned base Cayman.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Amen! I was around for the 1973 gas crisis. I was a traveling salesman driving a V-8 Pontiac Grand Prix. MPG mattered. Since those days I don't give a flip about MPG.
OMG, I still have PTSD and nightmares from that crisis. One of my high school summer jobs that year was gas jockey at Conoco, although I probably looked more like a one-armed wallpaper hanger in a hurricane. The line of cars waiting to be filled everyday stretched up to an 1/8th mile before our 7:00 AM opening. That river was completely relentless and never ended until we shutdown the pumps at 9:00 PM...of course angering everyone who left empty handed. Simply filling up cars wouldn't have been that bad; however, we were also expected to check and add fluids and clean every windshield, further delaying the process and aggravating everyone waiting in line.....it was total insanity.

On the flip side, I always had sufficient fuel for dates, errands, and cruising, so the girlfriend, parents, and friends were all happy clams. Me, I was one dog-tired clam.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I very much appreciate the responses given here by those who love the T. I'm not a track person and I don't have any affinity towards the tradition of the T but I can at least understand the thought process of those who do love it.

Nothing wrong with that. The base is a phenomenal car.

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
The "Law of Diminishing Returns" applies to almost everything. Doubling the cost of a base 718 doesn't give you twice the performance, but there's always someone who is willing to go the extra dollars.

For me, it's with stereo. My home listening gear cost me more than the Boxster did.😳

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
55 Posts
The "Law of Diminishing Returns" applies to almost everything. Doubling the cost of a base 718 doesn't give you twice the performance, but there's always someone who is willing to go the extra dollars.

For me, it's with stereo. My home listening gear cost me more than the Boxster did.😳
So true. This may help you with an existential truth for car nuts. There will always be a better/faster car. Life is about making good choices then appreciating what you have. If you are having trouble with tenths of a second difference between what you have and your dream then looks inside. The joy I got from my 914 will never be matched even though I am fortunate to be able to get almost anything I want now.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
So true. This may help you with an existential truth for car nuts. There will always be a better/faster car. Life is about making good choices then appreciating what you have. If you are having trouble with tenths of a second difference between what you have and your dream then looks inside. The joy I got from my 914 will never be matched even though I am fortunate to be able to get almost anything I want now.
yes, and it’s the same for watches and lenses and stereo equipment. So true.

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
51 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. The base is a phenomenal car.
I'm new to Porsche so I'm cracking the egg gently. I only spent about 15 minutes testing a used Cayman and I loved it. That car was over priced...of course. So I went with a new build instead and I'm patiently waiting. Perhaps the seed will sprout into a deeper more meaningful relationship with the brand. Congrats on the T allocation and I enjoyed reading about the Miata.

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
51 Posts

There once was a day that I would have agreed with you because I love music. But my hearing is experiencing "diminished returns". I still wonder why I spec'd Bose. I could have had...x...y...or z instead. Oh well...$1k doesn't go very far in the configurator anyway. It's like trying to spend that last bit of cash you won on Wheel of Fortune back in the day. "Pat, I'll take the brass duck for $990...and put the rest on a gift card".

Reactions: nova996

·
Registered
415 Posts

Base drivers with balls unite! :p

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

For me it is Martin guitars. :oops: I totaled the cost of my collection one day and got rid of the piece of paper before my wife saw it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For me it is Martin guitars. :oops: I totaled the cost of my collection one day and got rid of the piece of paper before my wife saw it.
Hah! Crazy, I almost threw a Martin vs Yairi quote earlier on the T vs GTS on another thread with you in it but held back because I didn't think people would get it.

I bought an Alvarez Yairi Guitar in 1989 for $450 and still own it. Years later I splurged on a Martin D-35 for $2000 and yes it did sound better not 4x times better, not 2x, maybe 1.25 times better so I sold it and kept my faithful little guitar.

Ironically when I was pondering the T vs the GTS my first thought went the Martin experience. Yes the sound was better and the D35 had more power just like the GTS, but I wasn't playing an auditorium, just for me and I realized that it was really about the playing and as long as your instrument is a good one, the joy will be there even if less money.

On the wife part of it, I had a similar experience when I bought a of BBS LMs brand new for my 1M Coupe. The boxes, came, I mounted them, showed them to the wife and she just said...they look great sweetie. Man, I got off easy, then about 6 months later as were sitting on the couch she says out of the blue...so how much were your wheels? I looked puzzled and just didn't answer. She says c'mon, tell me.. how much where they.....$2000? I scoffed, and said no honey...that's crazy I wouldn't buy $2000 wheels, they were only $1300 each! C'mon! Her eyes go big and she says....I meant $2000 TOTAL! You spent $5000 on wheels????

I checked the bed the next morning and she was still there! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ahh, my best man (an old musician) found it in a pawn shop for $200. He played it around the world, and had the stickers (proudly placed on the guitar LOL) to prove it :D. He knew I loved it and gave it to me years later as a gift when my 3rd child was born. In another life I produced and engineered music - it's been a favourite of many and has been on many records. Here's a pic of Randy Bachman playing it (well telling stories more than playing) sans stickers :). Check out the wear marks in front of the pic guard. It's been around.

Musical instrument Musician Guitar String instrument String instrument

101 - 120 of 146 Posts