Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am pretty surprised both cars weights the same? How did Porsche did it? This time exactly the same HP/TQ/weight. The cayman has a better over all more rigidity chassis and better balance than the Boxster. I am surprised motor trend ( Randy ) tracked Boxster S 2 sec faster than Cayman S. Maybe the tyre? Maybe it was in rainy condition?

I am picking up my Boxster S PDK with PASM -20mm and PTV next week!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am pretty surprised both cars weights the same? How did Porsche did it? This time exactly the same HP/TQ/weight. The cayman has a better over all more rigidity chassis and better balance than the Boxster. I am surprised motor trend ( Randy ) tracked Boxster S 2 sec faster than Cayman S. Maybe the tyre? Maybe it was in rainy condition?

I am picking up my Boxster S PDK with PASM -20mm and PTV next week!

From what I remember, the Cayman wasnt running on the same tires.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Porsche 718 Boxster S vs Porsche 718 Cayman S - FastestLaps.com

Do the analysis, draw your own conclusions. I suspect the Boxster metric/kph times are with 6-speed not PDK (slightly slower on all standing-start measures, faster on all in-gear-acceleration measures). Standout figures to me are identical 1/4 mile and nearly identical lap times (swapping slight leads) on the short tracks at Hockenheim and Magny-Cours. Key takeway: identically fast, and too fast (relative to other cars with higher power/weight ratios) for anything like 350hp.

eta: I find reviewers tend to repeat whatever they know to be true in the past (e.g. turbos display lag, coupes handle better on track owing to more rigid structure) without any bearing on what the current example is actually doing. How many 718 reviews refer to turbo lag?

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
How much faster/slower would make a difference on the road?

Each real review (we did the performance results ourselves rather than just quoting the PR) has small variances--some favouring the Boxster, some the Cayman.

Don't fret ½ sec. on a 2 minute lap time, just enjoy.

Greg
ps--I would guess the hard top and the 'soft top, motor and mechanism' weigh about the same. I haven't seen any review where the cars were actually weighed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Guard's Red is sooo much quicker!
Perhaps. But Graphite Blue with Agate Grey interior handles better. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts