Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have heard some poor stories about dealer experiences. How does the Cayman compare to the M4?

In my case the SA was pretty good in the circumstances, always available if I had any questions...I imagine most OPCs have fewer cars to sell, and second hand are selling privately for strong money so they're being cut out of the loop. In some dealerships they're displaying historic models to fill space. The current supply-squeeze is hurting the dealerships in the short term, even if it creates brand value longer term

·
Registered
718 Cayman GTS, Crayon
13 Posts
The other dealer was excellent - sales guy included.

How did the M4 compare - that’s a hard one to answer as they are very different cars. Considering its size it matched the outright straight line performance of the CGTS and if anything was slightly more aggressive (the book says it was 0.1 sec faster to 62mph). The mid-engined layout of the Porsche is where it really wins, with way more poise and grip than the rear driven M4, where traction was always under stress when driven hard and in the wet. The Porsche is smoother and I like how it just seems to ‘get out of the way’ and let you drive it (lots of configure/setup stuff in the M4 to mess with).

All that said, the last model M4 was a very versatile beast... you can get 2 bikes in the back, it seats 4 (though not with 2 bikes ;)) and can behave like a lazy-powered grand tourer or a track hooligan. It also provides a smooth transition between the two, or can flip at an instant if you needed it. They’ve ruined it now though… it’s even bigger and with that ridiculous grill :sick:

I think the only thing I’d like the CGTS to have from the M4 is that ability to cruise, the road noise from the P Zeros does grate on long motorway journeys.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Love the (not so mello) Yellow...your gauges absolutely pop!

We're planning on the same with our GTS, in addition to extended yellow stitching over Graphite Blue leather.

You made a fabulous choice!

Reactions: Raven and DylTheDog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Love the (not so mello) Yellow...your gauges absolutely pop!

We're planning on the same with our GTS, in addition to extended yellow stitching over Graphite Blue leather.

You made a fabulous choice!
that will look amazing. The graphite blue interior was one of the two interior colours on my list. It also looks amazing with with orange exterior and blue roof in my opinion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hahaha, who advised you against it?
The SA generally wasn’t keen on the agate interior, describing it as brown (it’s more a low key grey-brown in my opinion, like a graphite brown), likewise the green and blue exterio and the yellow belts and instruments. my take-away from those discussions was that they were seeking to steer me away from any choices that would make the car less desirable to sell. But it’s my first Porsche and I wanted to personalise it to my taste (and of course, t’other half), so the resale issue was not front and centre of my mind.
In retrospect I would do it all again, but with black callipers instead of red (I excluded the black callipers in my build as £580 seemed excessive and I wanted to add The Burmester so something had to give; but in retrospect I would rethink that choice given the huge options list I finally ticked…what’s one more item)

·
Registered
192 Posts
The SA generally wasn’t keen on the agate interior, describing it as brown (it’s more a low key grey-brown in my opinion, like a graphite brown), likewise the green and blue exterio and the yellow belts and instruments. my take-away from those discussions was that they were seeking to steer me away from any choices that would make the car less desirable to sell. But it’s my first Porsche and I wanted to personalise it to my taste (and of course, t’other half), so the resale issue was not front and centre of my mind.
In retrospect I would do it all again, but with black callipers instead of red (I excluded the black callipers in my build as £580 seemed excessive and I wanted to add The Burmester so something had to give; but in retrospect I would rethink that choice given the huge options list I finally ticked…what’s one more item)
If truth be told I'm tempted to side with your SA on at least a couple of those areas - Im not sure of the cohesiveness of the whole thing in terms of colour - there is a lot going on, especially with the roof down.

Maybe the photos dont do it justice - they seldom do. But yeah I can see why they may have recommended doing a few things differently, just so you have more complementary elements - but - it's your car and your preference, and I can't imagine there'll be another that brings together so many disparate elements, so its likely to be unique, and that must count for something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If truth be told I'm tempted to side with your SA on at least a couple of those areas - Im not sure of the cohesiveness of the whole thing in terms of colour - there is a lot going on, especially with the roof down.

Maybe the photos dont do it justice - they seldom do. But yeah I can see why they may have recommended doing a few things differently, just so you have more complementary elements - but - it's your car and your preference, and I can't imagine there'll be another that brings together so many disparate elements, so its likely to be unique, and that must count for something.
In some respects I’m pleased it’s somewhat marmite, yet suits my taste entirely (excepting one caveat I mentioned earlier). As you say, there won’t be many others like it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts