Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not wanting to hijack the very good thread re: clear plastic panel in lieu of mesh...

That prompted me to recreate the look on my 987, sans deflector panel of any type. Unlike that model, the 718 also allows removal of the thicker plastic mesh inserts within the rollover hoops, so I tried it with everything out.

Photos below. On a test drive, I loved trundling around town, felt more open esp. when glancing back over the right shoulder (I tried to capture that in a photo). On the freeway, with windows up, definitely more wind noise and buffeting than before -- although not necessarily intolerable. A good trade-off? I think it will vary from person to person. Kudos to Porsche for giving us the choice.

What do you all think of the look?
eta: I don't know why some photos invert, or how to fix them!

Attachments

·
892 Posts
Not wanting to hijack the very good thread re: clear plastic panel in lieu of mesh...

That prompted me to recreate the look on my 987, sans deflector panel of any type. Unlike that model, the 718 also allows removal of the thicker plastic mesh inserts within the rollover hoops, so I tried it with everything out.

Photos below. On a test drive, I loved trundling around town, felt more open esp. when glancing back over the right shoulder (I tried to capture that in a photo). On the freeway, with windows up, definitely more wind noise and buffeting than before -- although not necessarily intolerable. A good trade-off? I think it will vary from person to person. Kudos to Porsche for giving us the choice.

What do you all think of the look?
I remember reading in the manual of my old 981 that Porsche recommended removal of the deflector when driving with the roof up especially during winter months when the heating was needed. I don't remember exactly but it was something about improved air circulation & decreasing misting/moisture on the back screen. I never did though & never experienced any problems from not doing so. I do put the roof down whenever possible though, even if it's cold.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, this was a short-lived experiment. After thinking about the amount of driving I do at freeway speeds with top down, opted to re-install the screens. At least we know they're easily removed/replaced and what it looks like without....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just did some retro-browsing through the 718 catalog (the nice one from the dealer) and noticed that all the photos show Boxster minus center windscreen *and* the internal screens inside rollover hoops. I guess Porsche marketing feel strongly the 'sans-windscreen' look is more appealing (if not more practical at speed).

It does appear they did some photoshopping to remove the screen and tab slots from the 'naked' bars....that was something I thought looked a bit unfinished in the screenless look.

Have any Boxster owners here experimented with going screenless?

·
892 Posts
Just did some retro-browsing through the 718 catalog (the nice one from the dealer) and noticed that all the photos show Boxster minus center windscreen *and* the internal screens inside rollover hoops. I guess Porsche marketing feel strongly the 'sans-windscreen' look is more appealing (if not more practical at speed).

It does appear they did some photoshopping to remove the screen and tab slots from the 'naked' bars....that was something I thought looked a bit unfinished in the screenless look.

Have any Boxster owners here experimented with going screenless?
Yes but it's rarely warm enough to do so & you tend to get blown to bits. I only ever tried it on my last car & haven't done so on this as I don't have any issues with the mesh screen. I actually rather like the look of it & haven't experienced any visibility problems either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been running mine with the hoop screens in and the center screen omitted. The center slots are not that noticeable after a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts