Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 718S Boxster creaks from the front end when driving off from stationary or parallel parking, especially but not only when cold. Dealer said 4000 miles ago when new that it would be the brakes bedding in. But it's still doing it. Any thoughts whether it will just go away?
I also get that annoying juddering of the front end when turning out of a parking space from cold but I think that's normal.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My 718S Boxster creaks from the front end when driving off from stationary or parallel parking, especially but not only when cold. Dealer said 4000 miles ago when new that it would be the brakes bedding in. But it's still doing it. Any thoughts whether it will just go away?
I also get that annoying juddering of the front end when turning out of a parking space from cold but I think that's normal.
This sounds like the front tires are skipping across the ground. This happens in colder temperatures especially at full lock. It is totally normal. Assuming you don't have temperatures in the 30s F and below for extended periods of time I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, previous 987 and 981 did the same, but thanks for the reassurance. More concerned about the creaking, supposedly from brakes.

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
If it was the brakes needing to bed in, then by 4000 miles that condition has been met and it's time for a warranty visit to the dealer.

·
892 Posts
Yeah, previous 987 and 981 did the same, but thanks for the reassurance. More concerned about the creaking, supposedly from brakes.
The skipping is normal & my previous 987 & 981 also did the same, as indeed does my current 718. The creaking however is something I experienced on my old 987, when it was still fairly new I'd add (a few months old) & on that car it required rectification. That's not to say it's the same problem & it was so long ago that I can't 100% remember the exact remedy (Not helped by the fact the car had to go in twice as first time they misdiagnosed the responsible part). However it was something to do with dry bushes on the suspension or arms & although not deemed to be a safety issue the items affected were replaced. Sorry I can't be more specific.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for this, makes sense. Only happens at low speeds when parallel marking, reversing or moving off, always though with foot on the brake. So not necessarily the brakes themselves, just the pressure that braking puts on the (dry?) suspension. Dealer is 100 miles away but I don't think can await first service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this, makes sense. Only happens at low speeds when parallel marking, reversing or moving off, always though with foot on the brake. So not necessarily the brakes themselves, just the pressure that braking puts on the (dry?) suspension. Dealer is 100 miles away but I don't think can await first service.
did you ever find the solution? My car makes this same noise

when I’m stopped and just start to move I hear a creak or chirp

it lasts for a second and never comes back until I’m stopped and begin moving again

can be either forward or reverse

it’s definitely not the brakes, was there before and all brakes / pads / fluid / tires have now been replaced

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha, interesting I just checked back into this site for first time in nearly two years. No, I never did identify the issue, the opc said pretty sure it was brakes still not bedded in properly. Implication that maybe I'd been a bit too harsh with them early on, but I don't think so, so they might be difficult to bed in properly now. Or I still think likely something dry in the suspension bits, but only when braking which is weird. Didn't creak otherwise. Fact is I had so many rattles in the car as well - the hood, the windows, the dash, engine vibrations - maybe I had abused it but I don't think so. I sold the 2017 BoxsterS in May 18 in p/ex for a 2016 991.2S. Still got it and no regrets but I do miss the nimbleness of the Boxster. Thinking seriously about that 4.0 GTS but I've probably lost enough money trading cars for now.:unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
OPC can’t find the problem
The car had had

new active shocks
Springs
Wishbone
Coffin arms
Strut mounts
Wheels
Tires
Brake pads
Disks (noise was present before replacement )
Brake dust guards
Splash guards
Lube everywhere

yet the problem persists

seems to just be that instant where it is moving, I swear it’s now coming from inside the cabin on the passenger side

the strange thing, I can’t replicate this by pushing it with the engine turned off

points me away from suspension or brakes

bugs the life out of me

·
Registered
42 Posts
I once had creaking from the body of a BMW 3 series and after much investigation it turned out that the robots had failed to spot weld a whole row of welds. Car was replaced by BMW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts