Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There I need some advice..

About to purchase a car, boxter is my choice (looking at the S). I see mixed reviews on the 4 cylinders (performance, reliability, resale (mostly from BMW people I suppose..)). I would love to go to the GTS 6 cylinder but its just stretching my budget to the limit...

Any thoughts, I think I will be happy with the S but at this price I dont want to have buyers remorse..

Thanks in advance
David - Ontario, Canada

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Oooh, tough question to ask in this crowd!!

I don’t think you will have any significant complaints about performance or reliability. By all accounts this is a very well executed turbo 4, perhaps even the best out there so far.

Until governments evolve their policies, especially in Asia, (and I believe they will) the smaller 4-pot with turbo is the must have engine now for all brands. That’s reality. One advantage of this is significant torque at lower rpm’s. That’s not my cup of tea tbh in a recreational car, but I can see it is a nice advantage in a DD or in traffic or getting around on highways sort of usage.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
BTW almost every review of the GTS/GT4/Spyder includes some derisive comment or even outright laugh at the 4 cylinder engine. (See Harry Catchpole’s review of Spyder as example, but he’s one of many critics).

this forum, OTOH, is full of people who actually own these cars and can give you good perspective. My point is that this 4 isn’t the awful thing that some of the rest of the car community think it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a CGTS 4.0, but I've driven the turbo-4 in the S before. I really don't think you can go wrong with either, especially if it's a daily driver. The engine character is each is unique, but the turbo-4 is really well suited for the road. People's biggest complaint with the 4-cylinder is the sound, but I didn't find it to be objectionable.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I guess it really depends upon your mindset in terms of cars and outside opinions. If you want to enjoy a fast and capable car and the "noise" such as your experiencing from the Beemer crowd doesn't effect your ego, the the F4T Boxster is a blast to own and drive. Realize the difference in performance of the F4T and the 4.0 is pretty much negligible, especially for street driving. And if you're a stoplight racer, you'll probably beat the 4.0 to the next one. The sound issue will obviously be brought up, but that can be dealt with by installing an aftermarket exhaust which will also aid performance. Get a tune for the car and the 4.0 will always be in your rearview mirror. But as to the sound, I often get "Your car sounds great" from owners of cars higher up the Porsche food chain, when I arrive a C&Ct events. So it all depends upon your mindset. Can you tune out the noise?

Actually the whole debate about the number of cylinders and forced induction vs atmospheric is odd from a certain perspective. It really hit home how odd it is during my research in purchasing a naturally aspirated 911. I'm going to write a thread on it because I find it kind of funny and ironic how it all played out in Porsche world.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
136 Posts
Hi There I need some advice..

About to purchase a car, boxter is my choice (looking at the S). I see mixed reviews on the 4 cylinders (performance, reliability, resale (mostly from BMW people I suppose..)). I would love to go to the GTS 6 cylinder but its just stretching my budget to the limit...

Any thoughts, I think I will be happy with the S but at this price I dont want to have buyers remorse..

Thanks in advance
David - Ontario, Canada
Why are you buying the car? If it is to be a fun car to drive on the streets, or maybe even a daily driver, then the base model has more than enough performance to get you in serious trouble. If it will spend most of its time on track or you are buying it to impress friends and family, the 4 cylinder car is probably not for you.

I have not seen any serious reliability problems with any of them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Who cares about the number of cylinders? Are you buying the car for you or for keyboard warriors who actually drive a 90's Honda shitbox?
Just drive them. Compare them and be honest with yourself.
These 'reviews' are all done by dinosaurs like Chris Harris: 'It's a better car on every front. But I hate it because it has got 4 cylinders'.

·
Registered
123 Posts
About to purchase a car, boxter is my choice (looking at the S). I see mixed reviews on the 4 cylinders (performance, reliability, resale (mostly from BMW people I suppose..)).
Not sure what you compare it versus. If you are comparing versus the previous 981( 6 pot) , the 982 (4 pot) has better performance. If you are looking it economically, a P car dealer will charge you more than a BMW dealer for maintenance etc. For resale, most 718 owners are now selling their used cars for at/obout MSRP (it won't remain after the pandemic squeeze but then again, EV cars will be here and these will be the last of their type) . Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Making a guitar louder doesnt make it sound like a piano. a boxer 4 and a boxer 6 have very different rhythms, and no exhaust is ever going to make them similar. The first time I heard a 718 when I walked out to my gym garage when they first came out my reaction was “what??”. It’s a very different sound. Your eyes are saying porsche but your ears are saying “wait what?”

its not bad, it’s just very different. If you like it, go for it..

Remember Porsche currently sells, or has sold, V8 - V10 - V6 - F6 - I4 - F4. All off them with and without turbos (expect for the V10 I guess :D). They all sound different. This isn't the first new instrument Porsche has sold.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
401 Posts
I am a devotee of NA engines and prefer more cylinders than 4, but the T4 718's are fabulous cars.

Judging by the stories I have heard on this forum and others, you would have a very difficult time even obtaining a GTS 4.0. Delays of a year or more are common. Just check the Porsche Canada web site. There are currently two new Caymans (not GTS) and zero new Boxsters in Canada. Dealers are asking $10K+ over MSRP. for used GTS 4.0.

You may have quite a challenge getting any Boxster in the current market. Have you been to a dealer yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The different versions of the 718 Boxster are a great example of product differentiation. Executed by simply putting different engines in the same model and topping it off with a few more options. Generally, Porsche is earning a higher margin on the high end versions of their cars, including the 718 Boxster.

While Porsche’s communication strategy stimulates the emotional side of the buying decision - better put your own reasons first on why you want to enter the Boxster universe. You’ll always end up with the same great car but one version might serve your profile and needs more than the other (DD, practicality, urban, rural driving, country of residence, budget, status etc). Note that in no way this would automatically need to be the Spyder, it could very well be the “base” version.

That said, buying new, the S is to be avoided depreciation wise (here in Germany at least). In that sense it has taken over the place of the older 718 GTS that gave Porsche headaches as for once their differentiation strategy hadn’t paid off. Hence the introduction of the GTS 4.0.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just my 2 pence worth.

I've driven all 3. I own a 2.0 4 cylinder Base. I've had the 2.5 4 cylinder S for a long weekend and I've driven the 6 cylinder GTS.

The 4 pot is a phenomenal car in whatever guise. There isn't much of a noticeable difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 and they sound pretty much the same. Plenty of low down torque that will push you in your seat if you push the fast pedal hard enough however, I've just ordered a GTS 4.0 only because this will probably be the last chance of me getting an ICE Porsche and I will keep it forever but if I wasn't in a fortunate position to be able to get one, I would in no way disappointed with my Base 2.0. It's a beautiful car and makes me smile every time I get in it and turn the key.

If the GTS 4.0 is out of your reach, put it to bed and stick with either the S or Base and make it your own.

The problem is with so called 'Influencers' is that once one says something bad about a car then all the rest jump on the band wagon in fear of being 'different'. Personally I love the sound of the 4 pot. Its not the 6 cylinder and it doesn't pretend to be. Neither does it sound like a Subaru. It sounds like a Porsche in a unique, growly way.

To answer your concerns: I've not heard of any major issues with the 4 cylinder. I had a sticky turbo actuator but I fixed it myself with some lubricant and now it's great. If you're concerned with potential issues, buy the extended warranty. Performance.. 0-60 in under 5 seconds, I'm happy with that and with a top speed of 170+ there's no issues there. Resale.. here in the UK, the base is probably the best seller only because you can't get hold of an S or GTS for love nor money and if you have one, residuals are very strong at the minute.

My advice, drive the S. If you fall in love with it then buy it.

Dan

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,108 Posts
Bumblebee is a 2021 Base Box. Almost broken in (300 miles to go). There is nothing negative in my book about the sound, handling, ride, et al with the 4 banger. The sound keeps getting better with miles. If you can test drive both models and see which one fits YOU.... Either way you're going to win....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mine has just under 10,000 miles on it and my friend 6 doors around the corner can hear me start it up in the morning :) They sound at their best once you've got a couple of thousand miles on them.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The 4.0 Liter stays where it is, a fast car, a heavier car by a bit.

2.5 liter is only slower as it is tuned that way. There are some super intense numbers that thing can be tuned to. If you ever want to to tune something, the S is the car to get if buying new.

Manual Transmission assumed. If PDK, there is not a heck of a lot of reason to get a 4.0 liter. The 2.5L with "launch control" is insane. I am only considering MT for this question.

the T is actually the nicest of all of the cars to drive, just cannot drag race it out as well. It does go 171 mph though :/

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Had and loved our BS, but Limp Mode during an HPDE caused us to part ways and order a new GTS 4.0. The F4T is one amazing and addictive engine. So, I searched for more than a year to find a 2018-19 GTS with all my "required" options, but one never materialized. Thus, the new GTS order.

Seriously, you won't go wrong with any 718, as they are truly amazing sports cars. However, there is one caveat, you'll want to research Limp Mode thoroughly if you plan on tracking an "S."

·
Registered
136 Posts
You have already received some excellent advice so far. The only thing I would say is to not overspend on the car beyond what you can comfortably afford. I know this will be unpopular advice to read but you want to ensure that all of your bills are sorted out first. It will make the ownership experience that much more amazing because you will have some room to spend on personalization, modifications, tuning, grills, wheels, tires, etc. This extra room also helps with any maintenance/service costs that might be higher than anticipated.

And to repeat what everyone else has already said: You are buying an amazing car with superb handling. You cannot go wrong with any model within the 718 lineup.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts