Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK White (in Waiter’s Club)
41 Posts
If you are a fan of 6 CYL, stretch for a GTS, it's worth the money. Choose for fewer options instead, GTS has many things as standard. For me personally, I paid 92480 MSRP (no dealer premium, no discount) for a cayman gts pdk with zero other options. (I need sport PASM, SC, PTV, heated seats, backup cam, car play, sport exhaust, 20 inch sport wheels, blackened PDLS, and they are all standard.) And if you you are a manual lover, you could pick up the Boxster GTS 4.0 for 90000 (before tax). Moreover, 4.0 model holds the value (will likely in the future too) SOMEWHAT better than an S (I am not saying S is a worse car, they are all great machine).

If you would like to pick for for a 2.5T S model to save some cash, I recommend to take a look for 2017-2018s used car, they are basically the same thing. You are looking for them around high 60k to low 70k, for below 30000 miles. However, early models aren't as many options standard as today's, so becareful for the spec sheet.

Hope this helps.

The currency is US dollar. (Canada's market might be slightly different.)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Instead of positioning the 6 cyl models as superior, you might also think of them as more suited for certain use cases (track?).
The turbo engines are more suited for the road. Instead of revving the nuts off to get to the power, you get low end torque.
Superior public road machines without looking like a lunatic at or above 5k rpm all the time ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
For me it was purely a question of cost, I wanted a new car so that put the GTS 4.0 out of my budget.

I'm I unhappy with my Boxster T, no. But if a 4.0 came into my budget I would change it for one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
72 Posts
If I were buying a 718 for the first time, perhaps I may consider spending extra for the GTS 4.0. But I would not trade my S in for a GTS 4.0 now. I just don't see the value in getting the same vehicle with a bigger engine and a few extra frills. Unless you are a very experienced driver and track the car a lot, you will be hard pressed to push even a base 2.0 to its limits.

For me, a 991 or 992 Carrera (even a base) is an upgrade. Maybe one day...

·
Registered
129 Posts
For me:
If I'm tracking the car, I'm getting the 4.0, no question.
If I'm not, I'm getting the 2.0, no question.(OK I'll concede that if I live out in the country a 6MT with 4.0 would be awesome!)
I don't see a spot for 2.5, I just don't. Too much addtional $$ for not enough return over the 2.0.

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
72 Posts
So we all have different opinions based on what is important to us.
The OP will read and agree with the opinions which are most aligned with his own.
Hopefully his budget allows him to get what matters to him. But I have a feeling even if he 'settles' for a base or S, a few months into ownership he will not care what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Many advices, and one reached my mind : are you going to track it a lot ? If so, open your wallet and invest a little bit more.

I have a boxster base, really happy with it and have tracked it few times. The guys with S or GTS can get some seconds faster than me, but I am sure that we all have fun with our cars.

Then on mondays we all drive our cars according to city speed limits, so HP and sound are insignificant.

Let your wallet rule the choice and dont look back.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
425 Posts
Instead of positioning the 6 cyl models as superior, you might also think of them as more suited for certain use cases (track?).
The turbo engines are more suited for the road. Instead of revving the nuts off to get to the power, you get low end torque.
Superior public road machines without looking like a lunatic at or above 5k rpm all the time ;)
You have clearly never driven a 4.0., which has way more low end get-up-and-go than anyone needs or should be using on a public road. It goes like a scalded cat way below "revving the nuts off". The only time I get above 5,000 RPM is on a backroad with no-one around, simply because I don't want to lose my license. The T4's are tremendous cars, but to say that they are superior public road machines is simply wrong.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Many advices, and one reached my mind : are you going to track it a lot ? If so, open your wallet and invest a little bit more.

I have a boxster base, really happy with it and have tracked it few times. The guys with S or GTS can get some seconds faster than me, but I am sure that we all have fun with our cars.

Then on mondays we all drive our cars according to city speed limits, so HP and sound are insignificant.

Let your wallet rule the choice and dont look back.
F4T's in any form are amazing sports cars, so you can't go wrong.

BTW what's a Monday? The only day of the week I know as a retiree is track day :sneaky:.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
425 Posts
If you honestly feel that the 4.0 is underpowered for the street and needs to be above 5,000 RPM to drive in the manner you are accustomed to, I am quite happy that there is an ocean between us.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the charts. It makes it clear that the 4.0L engine has more torque above 3000rpm than the 2.0L. Also, the straight line power delivery (look at the horsepower line) for the 4.0 is amazing to experience on the road.

That said, this is not the main reason why I bought a Cayman 4.0. I think all engine versions have enough hp/torque to suit the needs. To me, the chassis, handling, balance, etc is what makes this car extra special.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
425 Posts
In God we trust, all else bring data.
Looks to me the 2.0 creates more Torque in the 2000-4000 range, and the 4.0 obviously crushes it >4000rpm. Neither is "better", just what you want/how you will drive it.
Actually the torque is equivalent at about 3,000 RPM, so the 2.0 L only has the advantage below that. Considering how little time one would spend under 3,000 RPM with either engine at WOT, the difference is pretty much meaningless.

Here are the curves for the 4.0 and the 2.5T (2019 GTS) superimposed. A much bigger spread below 4,000 RPM, which at WOT would be noticeable. The 4.0 is still no slouch at lower RPM.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tested the Boxster S before buying my Boxster base and have driven my car on track 11x. Performance of the base is solid, providing lots of fun with spirited drives with plenty of passes of higher-powered cars. Either will be a blast. No mechanical issues and I’m keeping it and use it as my daily driver, so don’t care about resale.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi There I need some advice..

About to purchase a car, boxter is my choice (looking at the S). I see mixed reviews on the 4 cylinders (performance, reliability, resale (mostly from BMW people I suppose..)). I would love to go to the GTS 6 cylinder but its just stretching my budget to the limit...

Any thoughts, I think I will be happy with the S but at this price I dont want to have buyers remorse..

Thanks in advance
David - Ontario, Canada
I own a 2017 Boxster S and love it! The handling is superb and the low end torque is a real rush. In my opinion there is way too much criticism over the sound these cars make.
When I was researching them, it was interesting that I would read the same exact words (cut and paste) from the various critics. I actually enjoy the sound of the exhaust and really don't know
what the big deal is. I wish you well in making your decision.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
196 Posts
Great feedback here, I would offer the one thing that (I don't think) has been mentioned yet that you might want to consider. Do you want to drive a car with a naturally aspirated or turbo engine (as they do have a different feel)? For me, I wanted an NA engine (and I still have a turbo vehicle). There is just a different feel, and as we go further into emissions and MPG regulations, more and more cars will be turbo so I figured I should grab one while I could. I have the 4.0, but the 2.5 GTS would have been awesome too.

Remember, you are buying this for you, not for resale, reviewers, or the neighbors, so buy what makes you happy (personal finacial decisions notwithstanding :) .

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I own a 2017 Boxster S and love it! The handling is superb and the low end torque is a real rush. In my opinion there is way too much criticism over the sound these cars make.
When I was researching them, it was interesting that I would read the same exact words (cut and paste) from the various critics. I actually enjoy the sound of the exhaust and really don't know
what the big deal is. I wish you well in making your decision.
I'm with you regarding the exhaust, as I loved the sound of our BS. A group of folks were shooting the breeze after a track day and the 911 owners in my run group were extremely complimentary of the BS's exhaust note, which of course they heard as i overtook them. Oddly, they didn't mention their feeling of getting passed by a Boxster :sneaky:.

Reactions: ~el~jefe~

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm with you regarding the exhaust, as I loved the sound of our BS. A group of folks were shooting the breeze after a track day and the 911 owners in my run group were extremely complimentary of the BS's exhaust note, which of course they heard as i overtook them. Oddly, they didn't mention their feeling of getting passed by a Boxster :sneaky:.
They probably got a pretty good, close up hearing of your exhaust as you passed by them. ;)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts