Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up my 6MT cayman T last week; and now with 300 miles on it and still keeping to 4K or lower in RPM can say without question it is an awesome car for street driving. It's fast, and with the PSE sounds great (disable the soundaktor though...that sounds like crap). With that said, if I could spec a 4.0 the same way (e.g. get an allocation before 2023 delivery) and could afford it then I'd probably go with it. I would not go with the S; have driven a 6MT compared to the base and while it's quicker, not a big deal for normal driving but to each their own. So, bottom line, go with what you can afford; they are all terrific. If you're after the greatest of them all.....718 Spyder :).

·
Registered
718 Cayman S 2018, lowered 30mm with TechArt springs, porschecrests on frunk and center cap shields
26 Posts
Hi There I need some advice..

About to purchase a car, boxter is my choice (looking at the S). I see mixed reviews on the 4 cylinders (performance, reliability, resale (mostly from BMW people I suppose..)). I would love to go to the GTS 6 cylinder but its just stretching my budget to the limit...

Any thoughts, I think I will be happy with the S but at this price I dont want to have buyers remorse..

Thanks in advance
David - Ontario, Canada
Love my 718 CS w PDK. Had a 997.2 GTS and I think the Cayman is quicker although I had a manual. Plenty loud and I like the Sport button. The 718 comes in a 6 but I'm staying boosted a plenty with the 4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I went to visit the dealer today, I did alot of review and decided on the Box GTS only to find that....

I may have to wait until late 2023, and even if I can get a build spot I might get bumped this there is an ask for a car with more options. Something wrong with this. I know inventory is tight with the chip thing and stuff and I am more that willing to wait in line, but I'm not sure treating customers like that is a good thing long term....

Not sure what to do now..:cautious:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I went to visit the dealer today, I did alot of review and decided on the Box GTS only to find that....

I may have to wait until late 2023, and even if I can get a build spot I might get bumped this there is an ask for a car with more options. Something wrong with this. I know inventory is tight with the chip thing and stuff and I am more that willing to wait in line, but I'm not sure treating customers like that is a good thing long term....

I’d call every dealership in Canada, while at the same time search for the perfect pre owned BGTS. Pretty much the only options these days. The best of luck to you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is the unfortunate reality these days. The demand for the 718 is very high and the dealers will be looking to maximize their profits. Do speak to a few dealerships to get a better understanding of allocations and waiting times. If possible, get on a list with a deposit and keep your fingers crossed. It is possible that some people will cancel their orders and you might get bumped up. All the best!

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,139 Posts
All sage advice from my cohorts. It's a sellers World. Trying times in the supply chain for sure. So many speed-bumps to coordinate and get product to the assembly lines in a timely manner. I'm amazed they are doing as well as they are considering....
The used vehicle seems to be the place to look. Just about every new car sale is generating a used car for the market. And we know how fanatical Porsche owners are about keeping their respective brood in good shape. Sure, you may pay top dollar but at least you might get to put some rubber on the road.

Good luck. Get on the lists. Search the internet. Cross fingers and eyes. Face East and do your mantra. Pledge offerings to the Car Gods. We're here to support your pain.... Good things ARE worth waiting for.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
I went to visit the dealer today, I did a lot of review and decided on the Box GTS only to find that...

I may have to wait until late 2023, and even if I can get a build spot I might get bumped (this) if there is an ask for a car with more options. Something wrong with this. I know inventory is tight with the chip thing and stuff and I am more that willing to wait in line, but I'm not sure treating customers like that is a good thing long term....
I've not heard of Porsche doing this (although almost anything is possible!), it sounds more like a greedy dealer to me.
All the advice is sound: check other dealers, check for a close match in the used market. Decide what matters most: the specific car or a close match to have and drive and enjoy.

If you want it now and it's true you have to wait until 2023 or later, I'd sure be going used. I waited 6 months for mine and I barely survived.😆 Two years and no assurance of delivery? No way.👎(Given the lock-downs over this new strand of zombies who knows what delivery is going to be like in two years.)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts