Porsche 718 Forum banner

Brake Fluid Replacement Cost?

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  shappy 
#1 ·
Going to be taking my car in for the 1st year's annual inspection and I wanted to get my brake fluid changed. Has anyone priced this by itself and, if so, what was the cost?

Thanks

#3 ·
You are correct that it is usually a 2-year maintenance item, but my car sat on a dealer's lot for nearly a year before I purchased it in August of last year (a significant reason why I got such a good deal on it), so the brake fluid has likely been in for nearly 2 years now. Plus, I am in south Florida, and with the extra humidity we get, it seems like the prudent thing to do.

#11 ·
No, the OEM fluid is quite good as far as OEM fluids go. However, all brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and that water will collect in the low spots in the system—typically the calipers. Over time that water will lead to rust or oxidation in the braking system, and if you are repeatedly hard on the brakes (think track days) that water will boil into a vapor and cause brake failure. Two years is a typical replacement schedule for street vehicles.

My local independent service center charged me $140 to flush the brake system. I supplied the Castrol SRF at $85/liter and it took two liters to perform the service.

#12 ·
I'll soon be replacing my brake hoses with the Rennline versions and switching to Motul 600 brake fluid. I'm not on the track much, but I like the idea of the broader temperature ranges of the Motul. I'm changing the hoses, not for improved foot pedal response, but because I'm trying to eliminate the more permeable rubber of the stock hoses! This may not make any sense in realistic terms, but I'm all about psychological feel-goods! I plan to change the brake fluid on the inbetween years so it is on an annual cycle.

Reactions: Treemagnet
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.