Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Trying to pinch a few pennies on an $80k++++ sports car? On a safety system like brakes? Seriously?

Just change the fluid at the minimum times the owner manual tells you.

Smh :unsure:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Trying to pinch a few pennies on an $80k++++ sports car? On a safety system like brakes? Seriously?

Just change the fluid at the minimum times the owner manual tells you.

Smh :unsure:
What? I used to do all the maintenance on my Ferrari which cost WAY more than a Porsche Cayman. That included changing the engine and transmission mounts at one point. I assure you it was not because I was trying to "pinch pennies".

If you don't have the knowledge or skill to perform simple jobs like oil changes or bleeding brakes, that's fine. To each his own.

But denigrating an auto enthusiast by calling him a penny pincher is a pretty immature thing to say, don't you think? You have no idea about my financial situation, how prefer to spend my money, what my mechanical experience/skill level is, or what I like to do with my spare time.

That would be much like me calling you a frightened snowflake because you're afraid and/or too dumb to bleed your own brakes properly. I would never do that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What? I used to do all the maintenance on my Ferrari which cost WAY more than a Porsche Cayman. That included changing the engine and transmission mounts at one point. I assure you it was not because I was trying to "pinch pennies".

If you don't have the knowledge or skill to perform simple jobs like oil changes or bleeding brakes, that's fine. To each his own.

But denigrating an auto enthusiast by calling him a penny pincher is a pretty immature thing to say, don't you think? You have no idea about my financial situation, how prefer to spend my money, what my mechanical experience/skill level is, or what I like to do with my spare time.

That would be much like me calling you a frightened snowflake because you're afraid and/or too dumb to bleed your own brakes properly. I would never do that.
I used to do all of my own maintenance on my motorcycles. I do understand. I also used premium parts/fluids. I wasn't trying to save money. I just enjoyed working on the bikes.

While reading this thread, it did appear as if some were trying to save some money on a critical safety aspect of an $80,000 sports car. That seems penny wise, pound silly. Even potentially dangerous.

Is it really THAT costly to flush the brake fluid? Even once a year? Heaven forbid more frequently if it's tracked? lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had the wheels off for new tires so decided to flush the brake system.....2018 Base with 12,225 miles. It had not been done.
I used the MOTIVE pressure bleeder that pressurizes the system and used 20 psi that worked well. Pentosin LV fluid.
There were bubbles/air in the system even tho the pedal felt fine prior. I did the inside nipple on each Brembo first then the outside RR, LR, FR, LR as always for a left hand drive. Very straight forward and no different than any vehicle I've done this too.
Nice firm pedal...used a tad less than 1 liter....very easy to do if you have a MOTIVE or a friend that likes to pump brakes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For a car not tracked, the reason you change the fluid to get rid of moisture is to prevent rust on the inside of the brake system. If you don’t flush your fluid, ever, after 10-ish years every expensive component of your brake system from brake master cylinder to the pistons in the calipers will be on their last legs.

If you think a brake fluid tester is good enough, then I advise that you conduct a test of your chosen tester; never trust your metrology tools unless you’ve validated them.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
222 Posts
Had the wheels off for new tires so decided to flush the brake system.....2018 Base with 12,225 miles. It had not been done.
I used the MOTIVE pressure bleeder that pressurizes the system and used 20 psi that worked well. Pentosin LV fluid.
There were bubbles/air in the system even tho the pedal felt fine prior. I did the inside nipple on each Brembo first then the outside RR, LR, FR, LR as always for a left hand drive. Very straight forward and no different than any vehicle I've done this too.
Nice firm pedal...used a tad less than 1 liter....very easy to do if you have a MOTIVE or a friend that likes to pump brakes.
Good. The bubbles you speak of are probably not from in the system but air coming from around the tube on the nipple for what it s worth. Once you do it once it s pretty simple if you remember the basics.
Tips I would give, 1. Keep an eye on all the Motive hardware and hoses, I had one break under pressure.
2. Don t ever let the reservoir run low.
3. Do not over tighten nipples.
4. I sometimes use the Motive just for pressure empty and refill the reservoir each caliper. Less clean
up and safer as far as Motive blowing a leak with fluid.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Probably correct on the bubbles...the pedal was never soft. I use the Motive only for pressure too....too hard to clean old brake fluid and who wants to accidentally contaminate the next job.

·
Registered
‘21 Silver Boxster S
9 Posts
I use Castrol SRF for cars that I track. It lasts I really long time and even after it absorbs some water it still has a higher boiling point than most fresh standard brake fluids. For cars that I don’t track, I have begun using a tester to determine when it’s time to change the brake fluid. I validate the tester by using it just before and just after a brake fluid change. It always shows the fresh fluid to be satisfactory and the old fluid to be expired with too much water.
I will do it myself if I need to but I have found that some dealers offer specials from time to time with very reasonable prices for brake line flush. In that case, I just let them do it and enjoy the extra free time.

·
Registered
888 Posts
With a power bleeder and correct setup, it can be accomplished in 30 minutes with a beer/cocktail in one hand half the time. Brake fluid cost nearly as much as the beer I had while doing it ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
With a power bleeder and correct setup, it can be accomplished in 30 minutes with a beer/cocktail in one hand half the time. Brake fluid cost nearly as much as the beer I had while doing it ;)
Yeah, that's what I do. But according to some if you're not a certified Porsche mechanic, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
This conversation makes me think I own a British car again! DOT5 is supposed to e silicone-based and not hydroscopic. But its drawback is that it must be poured carefully because it generates air bubbles easily. DOT4 and DOT3 absorb water from the reservoir and eventually cause pitting in the aluminum master and slave cylinders. When that happens the seals wear out and then you suddenly have no braking in that half of the system. If a slave cylinder leaks then you slowly lose fluid (referred to in the British-cars mailing lists as fluif) and when enough fluif goes away you have no braking at all. Brake fluif is cheap. Maybe labor to bleed the lines is expensive.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts