Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front pads are going to need to replaced soon. I'm going start some DE starting in September, but I also brake very aggressively on the street. Ceramic would be great for less dust, I like quiet, but my first priority is stopping power. I read on a thread here that Brembo hasn't yet come out with their front pads for the 718. I also looked at Hawk (heat concerns?), but again, nothing for the front.

Has anyone tried Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust front pads? Any feedback on these or other suggestions currently available?

· Registered
17 Boxster S 6M in Miami Blue
433 Posts
i have the hawk red ceramics on the front. i find it bites as hard as stock with very little dust. I would highly recommend them.

· Registered
702 Posts
My front pads are going to need to replaced soon. I'm going start some DE starting in September, but I also brake very aggressively on the street. Ceramic would be great for less dust, I like quiet, but my first priority is stopping power. I read on a thread here that Brembo hasn't yet come out with their front pads for the 718. I also looked at Hawk (heat concerns?), but again, nothing for the front.

Has anyone tried Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust front pads? Any feedback on these or other suggestions currently available?
If you are going with EBC take the yellowstuffs, those are more track oriented, need a bit of warming up but are consistent once warmed up, I have used these on all my track day's but on another car.

· Registered
433 Posts
I've never tried the yellow, but i've heard the track pads aren't very pleasant to drive on the street.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the info. I just "discovered" the racing forum here, and I should be OK with OE pads. Maybe changing the brake fluid is a better way for me to go for now.

Thanks again.

· Vendor
391 Posts
Yep, what he said :)

If this is your first DE, then I'd stay with the stock brakes and pads. They are excellent, and it is highly unlikely you'll be braking hard enough to use them up that fast in your first few DEs.

· Registered
2022 GT4
337 Posts
If this is your first DE, then I'd stay with the stock brakes and pads. They are excellent, and it is highly unlikely you'll be braking hard enough to use them up that fast in your first few DEs.
Seconded. I've run the stock pads at heavy braking tracks like Watkins Glen and the brakes hold up as long as you have high temp fluid. They will dust quite a lot and won't last more than a couple events unlike endurance racing pads but IMO if you're mostly street driving it's worth not having to do the swaps or deal with squeals.

· Registered
169 Posts
HA! I drove my 718B on normal street driving for a year - 5k miles only - then participated in my first DE (2 days at NJ Motorsports Park Thunderbolt Track). I'm about to return for another 2-day event, and during the tech inspection I was told that I would likely need new pads after this coming event. I'd say that's pretty advanced wear, so based on your advice, I'd add that whether you need new pads after DE events depends entirely on how hard you're pushing. Good luck!

· Registered
19 Posts
Hi, after oem pads, i tried Ferodo DS2500...very good (60% street, 40% track).
I have also Motul 660 RBF brakes fluid and BF GOODRIDGE brake lines.
I drove my 718 at Mugello Circuit in some track day and i had no problem with heavy braking.
Bye, Luca

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are they dirtier than the stock pads? Any squeaks? Thanks

· Registered
19 Posts
Are they dirtier than the stock pads? Any squeaks? Thanks
just a little dirtier, and some squeaks in winter at cold

· Registered
433 Posts
i made a mistake earlier saying i had gotten hawk red. i got the EBC red. and i love them. j same stopping power and MUCH less dust.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went with new OEM pads and rotors, so less than 200 miles before a three day event. I also had the fluid changed to Endless. I believe the new pads are 13mm thick. I'm down to 8mm after the DE and three trips to the gym. I have some track experience but not with this car, so I'm not a complete newbie and brake very aggressively. The car has PTV, I trail brake when appropriate and LFB for brushing and in certain situations to keep the turbo pressure up.

Suncoast runs PFC 08 pads on their project car and seem to be happy with them. I'm thinking about giving them a try and maybe going for the Girodisc rotors. The numbers work out OK if I can get three or four sets of pad changes on them. I'm aiming at seven DE events next year, so I'm looking at this from all sides, especially performance wise.

Any thoughts or experience with the PFC 08s? Are they OK with squeak on the street once they are warm? How do they feel compared to the OEM? I'd welcome a little more initial bite.

Thanks

· Registered
2022 GT4
337 Posts
I went with new OEM pads and rotors, so less than 200 miles before a three day event. I also had the fluid changed to Endless. I believe the new pads are 13mm thick. I'm down to 8mm after the DE and three trips to the gym. I have some track experience but not with this car, so I'm not a complete newbie and brake very aggressively. The car has PTV, I trail brake when appropriate and LFB for brushing and in certain situations to keep the turbo pressure up.

Suncoast runs PFC 08 pads on their project car and seem to be happy with them. I'm thinking about giving them a try and maybe going for the Girodisc rotors. The numbers work out OK if I can get three or four sets of pad changes on them. I'm aiming at seven DE events next year, so I'm looking at this from all sides, especially performance wise.

Any thoughts or experience with the PFC 08s? Are they OK with squeak on the street once they are warm? How do they feel compared to the OEM? I'd welcome a little more initial bite.

Thanks
Just ran PFC 08s for the first time today. Definitely a step up from stock in terms of how easy they are to modulate and how consistent they stay through a session. I imagine wear will be better as well but will know it time. They didn't squeak when bedded in and were fine on track but after about 100 miles on the the drive home they definitely squeak for me. It's not as bad as the Pagid were on my last car but at a certain pedal pressure (coming to a stop at a light) they are pretty bad. I don't plan on leaving them on year round.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They didn't squeak when bedded in and were fine on track but after about 100 miles on the the drive home they definitely squeak for me. It's not as bad as the Pagid were on my last car but at a certain pedal pressure (coming to a stop at a light) they are pretty bad. I don't plan on leaving them on year round.
Have you driven the car since? If so, the squeak remains? I had new OEMs squeaking in the rear on the second day of three, but that went away.

· Registered
578 Posts
Yes the PFCs make noise after the bedin wears off.
I swap my OE pads back in after track days.
thePFCs are a great pad.
ive been using them for several years now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.