Porsche 718 Forum banner

Brake Pad upgrade for Base 718 C/ Street & some Track?

13K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  seslyn 
Yes the PFCs make noise after the bedin wears off.
I swap my OE pads back in after track days.
thePFCs are a great pad.
ive been using them for several years now.

Do you have the caliper bolts to hep with changing the front pads?
Yes I do.
They are an absolute must, if you are swapping pads frequently.

The threads in the knuckle are aluminum and if you keep using the OE bolts they will eventually get damaged.
The caliper pins eliminate this potential problem.

It also makes the pad change must easier.

Any thoughts on rotor wear versus the OE pads?
I'm using PFC-08 pads and they are more rotor friendly compared to other track pads I've used in the past on other cars.
That said, I have no real comparison with the OE pads as my street usage is very mild.

I just made it through the season (10 days) with the PFCs, and the front pads need to be replaced for next year.
The rotors are still in excellent shape asside from stress cracking starting around the holes.
To me it looks like the OE rotors will eventually need to be replaced due to cracking, rather than actual wear. (potential for failure)

I will absolutely be changing to Girodisk when the time comes.
Slotted rotors are much more suitable for track duty.

Caliper studs, not bolts.
>> Tarett Brake Caliper Stud Kit
Tarett also has studs that work with Girodisk (which requires remounting of caliper)

I was told that rotors need to be replaced pretty much with every set of pads.
...Does this seem right or do most people get a second set of pads per OEM rotor?
definitely not right.(up selling)
You should go through several sets of pads before rotors need replacing.

I haven't looked it up yet for the Cayman but there is a minimum spec for rotor thickness that triggers when replacement is required.
Also to be considered are stress cracks; when they start to migrate to the edge of the rotor, then replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.